News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Responsive Curve

Started by SMF Customization Team, April 20, 2015, 06:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

I am running the standard Curve default theme. No custom theme. Actually I looked at my one production site (an open source project) on my iPad and it looked fine. I had thought that was what all SMF forums looked like. Now I know it's because of the Responsive mod I added. I don't even know why I added the mod. I guess I added it, didn't notice any change, forgot about it. I'll leave it.

I apologize for not understanding the term "responsive." While I'm at it, I am sorry for not understanding everything I don't understand, and I'm sorry if my lack of understanding has offended anybody.

At least thanks to Kindred I now know what "responsive" means.

KungFuJoe

Is anyone else having an issue with pics being "squeezed" in portrait mode?  Using beta5 of this mod on SMF 2.0.11.  I also have an image auto resize mod installed.

Antes

Quote from: kungfujoe on October 15, 2015, 05:52:35 PM
Is anyone else having an issue with pics being "squeezed" in portrait mode?  Using beta5 of this mod on SMF 2.0.11.  I also have an image auto resize mod installed.

Its not an issue but a feature its max-sizing the images to 100% of the width (inner calculated).

Petter B

Where can I see this in action? Why is this site not using the mod?

@rjen

Quote from: kungfujoe on October 15, 2015, 05:52:35 PM

If you read the thread one page up, here is the solution...

Quote from: @rjen on August 27, 2015, 11:57:07 AM
I like the MOD a lot, even though some of my users did not.
I ended up creating an extra theme for Mobile use with this mod, while leaving the standard Theme alone.

Just a note for a future version:
The images in my forum would lose proportions in the small layout. This can be easily fixed in de responsive.css file bij adding two lines in the code:

Quote.bbc_img {
      height: auto;
       width: auto;

max-width: 100%;
      max-height: 100%;
   }
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Petter B

I am sorry if I ask this question in the wrong place  :-[

When I try to install this mod, I get 3 errors for the default theme, and 1 error for the custom theme I use, Alternativ. See picture.

Should I install it anyways and make manual find/replace of the errors?
Do I need to make the manual changes in both the default theme and my custom theme?

margarett

This MODification was developed for SMF's default theme only. You can install it in your custom theme but it's not guaranteed that it will work as expected.

Regarding the failed edits, you should *first* analyze those. If you are sure you can fix the edits yourself, then yes, you install the MOD with errors and then perform the manual fixes
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Petter B

Thanks. Do I need to make the manual edits only in the custom theme that I use, or in the default as well?

margarett

You *must* do it in default theme. In your custom theme you have to do them if you decide to install the MOD in it.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Petter B

Thank you. I managed to do the changes manually. All looks good, except for the icon-menu that doesn´t show up. Any idea on why? Site is at http://dev.alternativ.nu
For me it would be OK to keep the default menu also.

Kindred

if you are not using the default theme, then you have to make sure that the responsive css file and any css changes to index.css -- as well as the icon image file  are copied into your custom theme.
As stated...  this mod ONLY installs the responsiveness into the default theme (Curve) -- even the "apply to other themes" option in the mod install does not fully add everything to the custom themes.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Petter B

OK. I did not understand that. I ran the mod-installation and completed with manual changes of the errors only. But when to add
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/responsive', $context['theme_variant'], '.css?fin20" />'; in my custom index.template.php I changed the url to the default theme url: $settings['default_theme_url']

Do you think this might be the reason to icon-menu not working (I have put the png in both images-folders)?

Another possible misbehavior is that when turning a phone from portrait to landscape, the text and everything just gets bigger instead of reflowing the text in same font-size. Works good when simulating an iPhone on responsive developer view on desktop, but not with a real phone...
Is this how the mod is supposed to work or is it something I have done wrong?

Kindred

yes... images never inherit from the default...

Honestly, I would put the code back to the original and copy the responsive css file into the custom theme as well

On the second issue...   I don't know.  I don't think I have ever seen that happen before...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Petter B

Quote from: Kindred on November 24, 2015, 11:26:33 AM
yes... images never inherit from the default...

Honestly, I would put the code back to the original and copy the responsive css file into the custom theme as well

You mean to uninstall the mod and revert all manual changes made in the default theme, back to original, and then manually put all changes of the responsive mod only into the custom theme?
:P :'(

On the second issue...   I don't know.  I don't think I have ever seen that happen before...

At least I know something is wrong then...  ;D
Some of the text grows when I turn the phone, some remains the same.

Kindred

no... don't uninstall anything...   just change the manual edit to the custom theme to use the $settings['theme_url'] again instead of the default theme
Слaва
Украинi

Petter B

Quote from: Kindred on November 24, 2015, 11:48:15 AM
no... don't uninstall anything...   just change the manual edit to the custom theme to use the $settings['theme_url'] again instead of the default theme

Glad to hear  :D
Did as you said and all seems to work good - but the damn icon-menu still don´t show... :o
http://dev.alternativ.nu/index.php?action=forum

Petter B

Nevermind, I use the default menu all the time instead, looks better.
Now I just have to fix the font-size problem.
Thanks for all the help  :)

Petter B

I solved the font-size problem and maybe someone else would like to know:
This is common behavior on iPhones, google or see for example: https://www.sitepoint.com/community/t/iphone-landscape-view-blows-up-font-sizes/30010

I just added body {-webkit-text-size-adjust: none;} within the first media queries in responsive.css, and that made it. No text-resizing and still able to zoom. Maybe this should be put in to the mod?

Petter B

I have done these changes on my dev-server. If I want to create a new theme like this on the live-server, leaving the default them untouched, is it just to copy the changed files from both default and custom theme on the dev-server into one new single folder for the custom theme on the live-server? And not change anything in the default theme folder?

vkot

Shouldn't the space for the member's name & profile info be hidden in very small screen dimensions?
In my forum there's a big almost unused space like an empty column on the left, and the post text goes out of the forum's right edge. See below.

Quote from: BigMike on May 04, 2015, 08:28:26 PMIf anyone wants to see what a modified theme looks like with this mod (version beta 3) looks like, then tap here: http://board.marlincrawler.com

EDIT: I've added additional 'hidden' classes to clean up the layout a bit. So far I'm really like'n it!

I would like to know these additions, your forum responds so nice to different screen dimensions...

For specialized SMF installation/customization, Web Development, Linux Server Administration, click here.
Για εξειδικευμένες υπηρεσίες στα παραπάνω, πατήστε εδώ.

Advertisement: