News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

"Responsive Curve" mod package released

Started by Kindred, April 20, 2015, 06:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Hello all.

Over the last few weeks a big "buzz" has been spreading in SMF's forum and throughout the internet about a new "mobility-friendliness" check that Google has put in place. Based on the preliminary reports that Google has sent to some webmasters, many SMF forum owners were notified that their site is not "mobile-friendly".

Google has specified April 21, 2015 as the date when a new search algorithm will be put in place, although, as usual, the specific details regarding the algorithm have not been distributed.

Although we do not necessarily agree with this new policy, we recognize our users' desire and need to be "compliant", so we have worked out something which may help. While, Curve2 (the new default theme for the upcoming SMF 2.1) is already responsive and, as such, is "mobile-friendly", for SMF 2.0 that was not the case. The default theme for 2.0.x (Curve) is already four years old and, as such, it is not responsive, and would take a great deal of effort to make it into something fully responsive (and, in the process, would likely break many mods.)

So, in order to tackle this problem in the most efficient manner, giving admins the ability to meet some of Google's requirement while maintaining a compatibility with legacy templates and mods, we have released a MODification package which will bring some "responsiveness" to Curve. This will allow your 2.0.x forum not only to be accepted by Google's "friendliness test", but also to have a better display in mobile devices. This mod can be applied, as with any other mod, through the Package Manager in your forum's Admin section.

However, if you plan on using this, you should be aware of some potential issues and limitations:

• This MOD adds basic responsiveness to Curve. The theme does not become "fully responsive".
  • Existing MODs which perform significant template changes might display poorly.
  • Existing Themes (especially Curve's variations) might be affected by these changes.
  • This MAY not affect MANY custom themes that use their own templates which use different coding from the Curve designs. Such themes will need to have the changes parsed, tweaked and/or manually applied within their framework(s).

For these reasons, the changes performed in this mod will NOT be merged in the official 2.0.x series releases, but will be released, and supported, as an official mod.

Please use the mod's support topic if you have any questions regarding the mod or any issues installing or using the mod.

The SMF Team
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JBlaze

Looks good. Keep up the good work!

Quote from: Kindred on April 20, 2015, 06:38:08 AM
Although we don't necessarily agree with this new policy

For as long as Google remains the #1 search engine, it would be beneficial to everyone to adhere to their policies. Agree or not, it would do nothing but hurt a website to not be in compliance.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Antes

Quote from: zilladotexe on April 20, 2015, 07:12:47 AM
Looks good. Keep up the good work!

Although we don't necessarily agree with this new policy

For as long as Google remains the #1 search engine, it would be beneficial to everyone to adhere to their policies. Agree or not, it would do nothing but hurt a website to not be in compliance.

Funny part in that, if you add meta tag & make sure width is not overflowing it accepts the site as "mobile friendly" :) I rather like to use "W3C mobileOK Checker"

JBlaze

Personally, I feel that any website that will be used by a good number of people should be mobile friendly. With the number of folks who do their browsing on the go, whether using phones or tablets, it would be silly not to be.

I find it frustrating when a site is not optimized for mobile usage, especially since I do most of my browsing on an iPhone 5s rather than my PC.

The web is constantly evolving, and I understand it's a lot of work to keep up with it all, but optimizing websites for mobile usage should be on the top of the priority list.

Disclaimer: This isn't a swipe at anyone, just my personal opinion
Jason Clemons

jaideejung007

Kindred

Jaideejung007,

Almost completely irrelevant to this discussion.

zilladotexe,

See, the thing is - like anything else that is viewed, this is often a matter of perception. Something which I consider "mobile friendly" (in that it displays acceptably on a mobile device like my phone) might be very different from what you consider "mobile optimized" -- and both of those are likely to be different from what Google has decided to try and force to be a "standard" (and I say force, because they are attempting to force people, under pain of rank penalty, to do what THEY consider appropriate, rather than going through channels to make it an ACTUAL standard)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

movierchives

Tried "responsive_curve_draft-1"

QuoteNot mobile-friendly

˟Content wider than screen
˟Links too close together

And yes using default curve

Antes

Quote from: movierchives on April 20, 2015, 09:03:48 AM
Tried "responsive_curve_draft-1"

QuoteNot mobile-friendly

˟Content wider than screen
˟Links too close together

And yes using default curve

Please post here with link to your site.

Looking

Anything helps but I think the bigger problem will be all the Mods people use especially things like Ad management which add to the bloat. It is also a daunting task, I've spent some months getting most of our sites to be responsive and we're still not there yet!

movierchives

Quote from: Looking on April 20, 2015, 09:13:03 AM
Anything helps but I think the bigger problem will be all the Mods people use especially things like Ad management which add to the bloat. It is also a daunting task, I've spent some months getting most of our sites to be responsive and we're still not there yet!

According to Google it doesn't even work here!

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.simplemachines.org%2Fcommunity

Antes

That's actually not our side, mod authors should also update their packs with changes to fit it. But you can fix the issues related ad mods with adding "max-width: 100%". I still need some free time to look at most used mods and try some tricks on them.

Quote from: movierchives on April 20, 2015, 09:14:45 AM

According to Google it doesn't even work here!

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.simplemachines.org%2Fcommunity

Lets give some time to site team :)

movierchives

Agreed I'm just surprised a fix was released that doesn't even work here

margarett

Quote from: movierchives on April 20, 2015, 09:33:30 AM
Agreed I'm just surprised a fix was released that doesn't even work here
It's not guaranteed that this mod will be installed here. It's not, at the moment

Only admins that have the desire to be compliant with Google's "warnings" AND whose current themes/mods will not be negatively affected by this should install it.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

It is not installed here...    which would be why that link "doesn't work"

Also - if you READ the original post, as Antes has already pointed out - Like with any mod - questions, concerns and issues belong in the SUPPORT TOPIC for that mod...  most especially not in this announcement thread
Слaва
Украинi

movierchives

Quote from: Kindred on April 20, 2015, 09:50:39 AM
Also - if you READ the original post, as Antes has already pointed out - Like with any mod - questions, concerns and issues belong in the SUPPORT TOPIC for that mod...  most especially not in this announcement thread

I know, I just follow what you said

kindred edit - quote fail
Quote from: Kindred on April 20, 2015, 08:18:45 AM
Basically, the thread that Antes linked you to was posted an hour before you posted...

Please try to search - or at least read the announcements before making critical statetemnts

Kindred

which did not say "post your comments to the announcement thread".  I said READ the announcement thread... which, very clearly then instructs you
Please use the mod's support topic if you have any questions regarding the mod or any issues installing or using the mod.

So. If you have issues. Please post to the mod support thread, as linked in the original post and/or as linked from the mod download page.

(side note, however, installing on a CLEAN forum with no mods DOES result in a "success" from Google's algorithm.
Слaва
Украинi

movierchives

I got told I was wrong to post there because of this existing thread, I give up

ARG01

Quote from: movierchives on April 20, 2015, 10:48:24 AM
I got told I was wrong to post there because of this existing thread, I give up

Don't give up., Just follow directions.

Quote from: Antes on April 20, 2015, 09:04:53 AM

Please post here with link to your site.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Spiral Joe

Just in time for 420 day.

"Hey, hey, hey, smoke pan everyday!"

I wanna move to Colorado.

Night09

Im not sure now if this thread is the correct place to post but its relevant to the changes made by google. Below is a copy of the email sent to me from an amazon account regarding the changes and provides some usefull links to help you sort your site out. Ive posted it only so those who dont use amazon can see how they have decided to tell affiliates how to handle it.

We would like to make you aware that there has been a Google Mobile algorithm change, which took place on Tuesday, 21st April 2015.

Check out our article on Integrating Amazon Mobile Ad Units in Popular Blogging Platforms and click here to learn more about our Responsive Widgets and our Mobile Optimised Banners.

Here are our top tips & tools for mobile optimisation:

Viewport: Configure the correct viewport & don't forget to edit your content's viewport

Touch Elements: Make sure the touch elements are not too close to avoid users mis-clicking

Font Size: Make sure your font size is not too small, we recommend to use a base font size of 16 CSS pixels.

Google Webmaster Tool*: This is a free tool offered by Google that helps you monitor and maintain your site's presence in Google Search result. Click here for Google Webmaster Tool.

Google PageSpeed Insights*: This free tool offered by Google will analyse the content of a web page, then generates suggestions to make that page faster. Click here for PageSpeed Insights.

Hope this is of help to anyone unsure.  :) If its on the wrong thread please can it be moved to the relevant one.

Kindred

well, it's tangentially relevant... but only because this is what we already stated that we addressed (as much as was possible within the strictures of the existing Curve theme) in the initial announcement...
Слaва
Украинi

JBlaze

Quote from: Kindred on April 22, 2015, 08:46:44 AM
well, it's tangentially relevant... but only because this is what we already stated that we addressed (as much as was possible within the strictures of the existing Curve theme) in the initial announcement...

I think he was posting it more for users who may be unaware of what the new policy states, not for *this* site...
Jason Clemons

Night09

Quote from: zilladotexe on April 22, 2015, 08:54:34 AM
Quote from: Kindred on April 22, 2015, 08:46:44 AM

I think he was posting it more for users who may be unaware of what the new policy states, not for *this* site...

It is for those who didnt know about the changes or unsure what to do themselves but not specific to here its just in general.

stmaxx

Yes I just Checked Check my 2.1 test site and all is good with Google mobile.

Thanks good news

Antes

This topic is NOT about SMF 2.1 and/or Curve2.

Please stay on topic.

TomW

Why not focus on releasing 2.1 since it is responsive ?

Kindred

Why not do both? Which is what we are doing
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

And because 2.0.x will be officially supported for years to come ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Night09

If only 2.1 was responsive and 2.0.9 was left as it was you would have no choice but to upgrade to the 2.1 beta line or wait it out for the final release at the cost of site penalization.

If both are done as stated then you will have time to wait and choose the right time to upgrade. Thousands of SMF sites would be effected not just your own. You should think of the big picture before coming to conclusions of how it should be done. ;)

live627

Night09

roshaoar

I get "Not Mobile Friendly" when I put my SMF through Google's Mobile friendly test page with this responsive curve package. Content wider than screen & too many links...  :(

margarett

Maybe Google changed the page scan algorithm? Don't know, we need to investigate...
Meanwhile, please use the MOD support topic for this kind of issue ;)

roshaoar

Sorry, my bad - feel free to delete. Hadn't read the whole thing and see the support link.

live627

Quote from: Night09 on April 23, 2015, 04:14:31 AM
Quote from: live627 on April 23, 2015, 03:53:46 AM
Some don't have that choice.

No one is forced to upgrade to 2.1..

Sorry, wasn't clear there...

Some feel that they are locked into 2.0 for various reasons, such as lots of custom code that they paid someone to write.

xeon365

is there not just a new standalone theme? one that doesn't need to edit existing files as installing this has a whole bunch of Test failed

Kindred

No. The modifications to the curve theme as with this mod is the only option.

If you are getting a whole bunch of failures, then either a) you are not installing this on curve or b) you have some really significant modifications to the curve theme...

This mod is only designed to make the curve theme somewhat responsive any other theme will need tweaks,
Слaва
Украинi

Night09

Anyone who modifies the curve theme should be making a copy of it in theme manager and not editing the original theme. Then if all has not gone well then the original theme is intact and the modded copy will not stop your forum working which you can revert back to.

Kindred

Night - that might apply if someone has made individual modifications - that does not apply to admins who have just applied mod packages.
Слaва
Украинi

Portugal

Maybe you are using some mod...like an portal (simpleportal), if you are using this, you need to go to your: themes/default/css/portal.css and find
body
{
   min-width: 750px;
}

Change to:

body
{
   min-width: device-width;
}

Quote from: roshaoar on April 23, 2015, 07:52:37 AM
I get "Not Mobile Friendly" when I put my SMF through Google's Mobile friendly test page with this responsive curve package. Content wider than screen & too many links...  :(

Kindred

once again, folks.... this thread is **NOT** for support.
Слaва
Украинi

Portugal

Sorry just want to help...Delete my mesage its easy.

Quote from: Kindred on April 28, 2015, 07:56:29 AM
once again, folks.... this thread is **NOT** for support.

a10

Thanks, good mod. Working fine & recommending it, as who wants to risk loosing goodwill in google results. & members on my forum immediately found it very useful.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Antes

Apllicmz

Marple

Thank you - This has worked well for me, I had to mod my banners in Ad Manager so that they resize but apart from that it seems to work well.

My site is now passing the Google Mobile-Friendly Test.

The only feedback I would give at present is that the icons that replace the menu items when the width is reduced are too small and too close together to click easily on a phone screen. Also, it's not easy to figure out what each one is for.

Antes

Quote from: Marple on May 03, 2015, 01:08:29 PM
Thank you - This has worked well for me, I had to mod my banners in Ad Manager so that they resize but apart from that it seems to work well.

My site is now passing the Google Mobile-Friendly Test.

The only feedback I would give at present is that the icons that replace the menu items when the width is reduced are too small and too close together to click easily on a phone screen. Also, it's not easy to figure out what each one is for.

Thanks for your feedback, that's something on my list but we need to find proper icons with proper size, I'm open for suggestions let me know :)

About Adsense, you need to use flexible (responsive) ads they fit into the view. Do not resize Adsense ads with CSS or any other method that may lead to warning from Google.

Marple

One additional issue I've found is that in the "Show unread posts view" the column is being squeezed right across to the left. Easier to explain with a screenshot:

Antes

We'll address those issues in next version of the mod.

bjornforum

On my forums I also have the problem that @Marple describes above in the 'related topics mod'.

BETA4 is not working properly for me by the way. It doesn't size down enough on my iPhone 6 plus.

roshaoar

I think it's probably the related topics mod itself that needs to a change rather than this one. The main change I made to make it work was replace the TH across the top with a div. Beyond that there's a bit of class renaming and changing.

sc4t

Night09

This thread is an announcement thread not support.

If you are having problems open a support thread in the relevant support section. ;)

iaccountant

Should have replied to this sooner...

Someone said Google is forcing a standard and I agree.

I run sites in 1.x and 2.x and both render to scale in my mobile browsers...both on the last iPhone I used and my current Galaxy phone and tablet.

Now I know limited testing is not creating a "universal experience", but I have asked various people to look at my sites, and even static web pages created in, of all things, MS Front Page (which I still use for small sites) render to scale...meaning the page fits into the browser and you can then expand certain parts of it.

Having said that, yes, it makes sense to adhere to standards if it means your page is ranked higher. But to that all I can say is that the narrower the focus of your site, the higher you rank and no amount of playing around will make much of a difference....and the broader your scope, the more you need some kind of edge using SEO & stuff.

john236

hey man, first of all thx to all, this solution is very helpful for me....  :D

Advertisement: