clicking category title closes the category

Started by brynn, May 03, 2015, 10:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
This seems so obvious that it's probably not a bug.  But seems like it should be.  I won't include all the info requested by the sticky topic, right now.  But if you all think it could be a bug, I will be glad to post it.

When you click on a category title, it closes that whole category.  It seems like to close a category, one should have to click on the little minus sign.  (Otherwise, what's the purpose of having the minus sign?)  And it seems to me clicking on the category title should open the category in a new page.

And there's another issue, although it might not be with the core part of SMF.  I use Tiny Portal on my site, and when I close a category, the top, left and right panels disappear. along with the category.   Let me know if that could be a bug, and I'll report it to the TP folks.

Thank you very much   :)

Kindred

not a bug. This is "FAD" (functions as designed)

SMF has never opened a category on a separate page... 

the last thing, definitely sounds like a TP issue (or, more than likely, a configuration problem)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Mine's coded so that if you click the category title, either from the index or the linktree in topic/post view, you're taken to just that category (not in a new page though).

I don't understand why clicking the title or the minus sign was designed to do the same thing in a default configuration.
DO NOT pm me for support!

brynn

Quote from: Kindred on May 04, 2015, 01:19:16 AMnot a bug. This is "FAD" (functions as designed)

SMF has never opened a category on a separate page...

Well, this is the first really major complaint I've had about SMF.  I guess my next step will be to read about making a feature request  :-\

I don't expect SMF (or any software) should strive to be exactly like other similar apps.  But for basic functionality, I think it should want to provide the same behavior.  I can think of many examples where someone would want to open only a certain category of a forum, and I've seen this feature in other forum software.

Anyway, I guess that's where I'll be going next   :o

Quote from: Kindred on May 04, 2015, 01:19:16 AMthe last thing, definitely sounds like a TP issue (or, more than likely, a configuration problem)

I seem to recall TP has a separate site and/or forum, but if not, I'll post in that board here.

Thank you very much   :)

Steve

brynn

Thanks Steve!

I'll have to try this as soon as I can.  I suppose it must disable the closing of the category, except by clicking the minus sign?  Well, I'll report the results, after I've tried it.  Might be a day to a few days (due to offline distractions).

The only thing I don't understand is this:
"DO NOT INSTALL IF:
o In ./Themes/default/scripts/script.js, the first operation can be skipped if the second is successful."

I don't know if that's a typo or some kind of code ("o In .")?  Can someone break that down into a less technical explanation for me?

Night09

Basically as long as one says successful you can install it. If your still unsure about the mod post directly in its support thread here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=118299.0 ;)

Shambles

Quote from: brynn
I don't know if that's a typo or some kind of code ("o In .")?

That's probably a bullet point which lost its [list] formatter.

Steve

You can see it in action on my forum brynn. I had no trouble installing it and have had no trouble with it at all.

brynn

Thanks Steve, and everyone.

Well, I still don't understand what that warning means (not even a clue).  But I guess if SMF says everything is ok, I can go ahead an install it.  Maybe I can try it later today.

Thanks again  :)

Steve

In the support thread for that mod (first post), Dougie makes it a little clearer:

QuoteIn ./Themes/default/scripts/script.js, none of the operations are successful.  One should be successful....

In other words, when you click to install it and it shows you whether its tests were successful or not, if all the ones for the above script are unsuccessful, do not continue with the installation.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=118299.msg755859#msg755859

brynn

Ah yes, I finally figured it out.  I did have that one failed, by mikey fixed it for me.

I still think this should be a bug.  But the mod works great -- no complaints!

Thanks again to everyone   :)

Steve

As Kindred said, it can't be a bug because it works as designed. The definition of 'bug' here is something NOT working as designed.

At best, it could be called an error in design thinking but even that is subjective. That's why mods are available. :)

Advertisement: