I am having problems modifing my Global Headers and Footers

Started by GlennLever, May 05, 2015, 10:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GlennLever

I know you know how to do this, I do not.

The challenge is to communicate you knowledge in a way a newbie can understand an follow.

Guidance please.

Direct me to a outline of step by step instructions.

Thanks

Linkjay

Quote from: GlennLever on February 17, 2017, 12:51:54 AM
I know you know how to do this, I do not.

The challenge is to communicate you knowledge in a way a newbie can understand an follow.

Guidance please.

Direct me to a outline of step by step instructions.

Thanks

Hey! Kindred has expected that you know how to operate SMF fully if you are going to run your own site like many others. You should have at least a basic experience with everything before you try and run a full forum. Don't bite the hand of the volunteer that is typing your support either when it's not exactly how you want it. It also isn't quite wise to tell the support members how to give support:
Quote from: GlennLever on February 17, 2017, 12:51:54 AM

Anyways, there are quite a number of ways to find out what you need to know. First off, there is an official SMF Wiki for a reason and when Googling multiple situations, your help can be found on what you are supposed to do. Let's walk you through it.

We're going to use Kindred's option which was to revert back to SMF 2.0.12 using a backup package (See here) then to use a patch up to 2.0.13 instead of using an update file to update your forums. (See here too)

Other useful links:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Main_Page

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Package_manager

How I found these links:

http://bfy.tw/A8yn

http://bfy.tw/A8yo
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

GlennLever

Linkjay,

I am sorry
"I do not know how to operate SMF fully", and I do not have "at least a basic experience with everything ".

I am wondering how you acquire that experience with out trying, isn't everyone a newbie at some point?

"We're going to use Kindred's option which was to revert back to SMF 2.0.12 using a backup package"

Kindred actually suggested two routes to try and fix the problem.

"Load a fresh set of 2.0.13 files from the large upgrade again, just to make sure things are clean.
then clear out the mods (using repair_settings.php)
and then reinstall them.

or

restore the backup of the 2.0.12 files (which you should have taken before you did the upgrade)
and then use the patch to upgrade this time."

I would like to take route one, but first I would like to uninstall the mods (there are only three), and reinstall them. If that does not work them

"Load a fresh set of 2.0.13 files from the large upgrade again, just to make sure things are clean.then clear out the mods (using repair_settings.php)and then reinstall them" as Kinderd suggested.

I am not asking someone to sit down and write step by step how to, but to be point in the direction of where to find that information. Surely this is not the first time someone was lost on how to install mods, and there must be a good set of directions some where

Illori,

Yes I did try a search and the return was very confusing, see below

I certainly did not mean to start a ..... session.

Was just looking for guidance.

Sorry.

GlennLever

I did find the reference to the online manual and will try to slogging through that.

Steve

Quote from: Linkjay on February 17, 2017, 01:39:24 AMHey! Kindred has expected that you know how to operate SMF fully if you are going to run your own site like many others. You should have at least a basic experience with everything before you try and run a full forum. Don't bite the hand of the volunteer that is typing your support either when it's not exactly how you want it. It also isn't quite wise to tell the support members how to give support:

Linkjay, please let the Support Team do any admonishing if it's warranted. Thanks.

GlennLever, if there's anything you don't understand in the applying/removing mods issue after reading the wiki please post it here. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

GlennLever

Quote from: Steve on February 17, 2017, 05:21:41 PM
Quote from: Linkjay on February 17, 2017, 01:39:24 AMHey! Kindred has expected that you know how to operate SMF fully if you are going to run your own site like many others. You should have at least a basic experience with everything before you try and run a full forum. Don't bite the hand of the volunteer that is typing your support either when it's not exactly how you want it. It also isn't quite wise to tell the support members how to give support:

Linkjay, please let the Support Team do any admonishing if it's warranted. Thanks.

GlennLever, if there's anything you don't understand in the applying/removing mods issue after reading the wiki please post it here. :)

I found this You Tube that I think does a pretty good job of showing how to install a Mod.

https://youtu.be/80gwaa660Uw

GlennLever

Ok, uninstalling and then deleting the Headers footers mod and then reinstalling the mod fixed the header and footer problem without having to reinstall the 2.0.13 code.

This was a very simple procedure once I had watch the You Tube video.

I will now attempt to do the same thing for the embedded video mod.

GlennLever

Quote from: GlennLever on February 17, 2017, 07:56:42 PM
Ok, uninstalling and then deleting the Headers footers mod and then reinstalling the mod fixed the header and footer problem without having to reinstall the 2.0.13 code.

This was a very simple procedure once I had watch the You Tube video.

I will now attempt to do the same thing for the embedded video mod.

I did the uninstall for the simple video embedded, uninstalled it and then downloaded it and reinstalled it and it now works also.

Sure wish this method had been suggested, spent the afternoon floundering.

I think the lesson I have learned if it is working leave it alone. No more updates for me

Kindred

Well, two things...

One, you should ALWAYS update your smf installation. We only release point versions for security updates, so, if you do not update, then you are leaving security holes unpatched.   What you need to do it PATCH instead of upgrade (seriously, read the wiki)

Two, the reason we did not suggest and do not recommend what you did is because I suspect that there may be bits of the mod installed multiple times now...

Because, if it was not working, and you uninstalled...   it should have thrown errors during the uninstall, which means that you should not have continued without manually changing code.. 
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Quote from: Kindred on February 17, 2017, 09:22:46 PM

What you need to do it PATCH instead of upgrade (seriously, read the wiki)

Agree.  This is how I usually do it.

Patching SMF to the latest version  https://youtu.be/wSUcnvWRiHE

GlennLever

Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2017, 08:41:53 PM
Use the package manager

Not to beat a dead horse.

I am reluctant to change / patch code at this point because when I need support (which as a newbie I will need from time to time) and get responses like the one above which provides no guidance I feel left out in the cold.

Glenn

Steve

I know it seems that way sometimes Glenn but I'll admit we do sometimes assume more than we should (I'm not speaking for the team, just me, even though I said 'we' :P ). We try to steer people in the direction of reading the manual and searching for answers because it (at least, in my mind) makes it easier to learn how the system works. And if the answers you're given are too short or assume too much, by all means, ask for more guidance.

We'll do our best to help you achieve whatever it is you're trying to do. :)

Kindred

Well, quite honestly, me telling you to use the package manager is actaully about as simple as it can get. The package manager is. 3 click operation and I have no idea how someone can not get tha, when combined with the wiki

I'll never understand people who watch YouTube videos of people clicking through a series of screens and think that teaches anything...
Слaва
Украинi

GlennLever

Quote from: Kindred on February 18, 2017, 09:02:44 PM
Well, quite honestly, me telling you to use the package manager is actaully about as simple as it can get. The package manager is. 3 click operation and I have no idea how someone can not get tha, when combined with the wiki

I'll never understand people who watch YouTube videos of people clicking through a series of screens and think that teaches anything...

Please understand I am not trying to create a battle here, but would like to point out there is a lot to helping people understand how to get the most out of the software you provide.

I realize you answer a lot of posts, and most likely see the same question over and over.

It happens on my forum. What I have done is create a folder that has "canned" instructions on how to do things. I have actually posted a how to on attaching pictures as that question gets asked a lot. This is a link to that post. "How to post pictures" http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php/topic,559.0.html

When asked a question that is asked over and over each person that asks that question gets a full answer as complete as the first time it was asked, and it takes very little time to help that person out.

You stated "I'll never understand people who watch YouTube videos of people clicking through a series of screens and think that teaches anything..."

What I got over and above your response "Use the package manager" was;

How to find and install Packages for SMF
1)   Go to the Admin tab on the top row of buttons
2)   Click Packages in the navigation menu on the left side of the screen
3)   In order to install a package you need to find one and down load it.
4)   Click the down load package button under package manager
5)   SMF connects tp Package Services to find out what packages are available. There should be one package Server entered by default
6)   Click Browse to retrieve a list of packages
7)   WARNING that you may receive an error message "With recent versions of SMF, you may receive an error message trying to connect to the Package Server.
........a)   Then instructions are given if you receive the error "If this happens for you, return to the Download Packages page.
........b)   You are told to add a new package server with the following URL http://custom.simplemachines.org/packages/mods
........c)   I do not know if this is correct as I used the second method provided to get my package
8)   The second method explained was to go to SMF's website by going to http://mods.simplemachines.org
9)   At this site you can browse all the mods that have been submitted to the SMF download site
10)   You can view information on the mod by clicking on it.
11)   Once you have chosen a mod you can download the mod in a zip file
12)   Now return to the download packages page in admin
13)   Now we use the Upload a Package section of the Download New Packages page
14)   Use the browse button to find the doanload Zip file from SMF's mod page
15)   Select the file and click open, this will file the browse box with the file name and location
16)   Click the Upload bottom below the browse box
17)   A "Package uploaded successfully box will appear.
18)   Click the "apply Mod" button in that box
19)   Review package test and processes
20)   At the bottom is the button to "Install Now"
21)   Message "Installation Complete" appears.
22)   In the Package Manager page go to "Installed Packages"
23)   This page will list all the installed packages

Now if it were me I would copy this into a folder and the next time someone asks this simple question  you could copy and past the answer as a reply and that certainly would give guidance. you would the the "The Helpful One" .

Again I do not mean to be insulting in any way and have tried not to be.

Glenn

Steve

Which is just a hand-holding method of telling someone what is in the url Illori posted (http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Package_manager).

You have to remember that a lot of support is given by members using their phones so they don't have the luxury of using  your method for every possible question that has or can be asked here. :)

Kindred

regarding your "canned replies"

yes...   as Steve and Illori have pointed you to...   we have the WIKI and FAQ which basically answer your question...   and when I say "use the package manager" (which is a piece of core functionality in SMF), the first place that I expect a user to look for an explanation would be the manual. :P

Everything you listed is explained in the wiki...  although it is not spelled out like that because, writing a step by step like that is actually, IMO, incredibly silly...  we can not spell out every single step that every single admin might ever take for every single function.

saying "go to the package manager in your smf admin and use the download/upload a package function"
Pretty much explains the majority of that in a single sentence

[edit] spelling of a word -- illori.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: