News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

I can not modify my posts

Started by davidhs, May 18, 2015, 07:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

there is a new policy that posts made can not be edited after 1 hour by the author. if you need it modified you can report it to the moderators and they can modify it for you.

davidhs

Quote from: Illori on May 18, 2015, 07:34:25 AM
there is a new policy that posts made can not be edited after 1 hour by the author. if you need it modified you can report it to the moderators and they can modify it for you.
:o But these are post of my mods... I need edit when I download a new update... Many work for moderators!

Illori

the team is aware of that issue and i believe they are trying to add a fuction to the mod site to update the first post of the topics. it just takes time.

Irisado

Quote from: davidhs on May 18, 2015, 07:42:09 AM
:o But these are post of my mods... I need edit when I download a new update... Many work for moderators!

This is an unfortunate side effect of having to restrict post editing because of a minority of members abusing the modify function to bypass moderation decisions.  As Illori says, the Team is trying to find a way around this problem for those members, such as yourself, who need to edit posts to update details of their mods.

For the time being, please use the report to moderator button and explain in your report what you need to be changed in your post you are reporting, and a Team member will do it for you :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

live627

Quotea minority of members abusing the modify function to bypass moderation decisions. 
Surely that situation could have been handled differently. A set of warnings or cooldown bans would have sufficed rather than disallowing edits. I advocate the removal of this policy. Punishing the entire community for the actions of a few....

vbgamer45

Quote from: live627 on May 19, 2015, 12:29:06 AM
Quotea minority of members abusing the modify function to bypass moderation decisions. 
Surely that situation could have been handled differently. A set of warnings or cooldown bans would have sufficed rather than disallowing edits. I advocate the removal of this policy. Punishing the entire community for the actions of a few....
+1
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Irisado

Quote from: live627 on May 19, 2015, 12:29:06 AM

Had you been involved in having to clean up the mess caused by that minority, I feel that would think differently :).  Warnings and bans had previously been used to no long-term effect.

As Illori has stated above, a workaround was being looked at, so maybe someone with coding skills could have another look at it, and see what can be done ;).

* Irisado looks hopefully at live627.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

vbgamer45

Well. If it ever was a problem you could also go from a backup and reload the old posts on a member basis.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kindred

vbgamer...   really?   given the size of our database and the servers we use (and the availability and time of our server team) do you really think that finding and restoring individual messages from gits who changed them is a good use of their time and effort?

and no....  warnings and cooldown bans are, unfortunately, too late in the game - the "damage" (as it were) would have already been done by that point
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

Sure why not. It is just one table and a quick join could get it done. How often does this occur. Worse case you get a list of members that cause this issue after they have been banned and go back and do the restore when time is free.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Illori

if the post was edited within hours of it being made, most likely there is no backup to restore that was made during that time anyway.

vbgamer45

But is that what we are trying to solve? I thought we were solving very old posts that were mass edited? A new post does not carry as much weight in terms of history/worth.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Illori

it is a combination of both new users and new posts being edited and old users editing or deleting old posts.

Kindred

there are certain immature folks who posted one thing...  then, when they received a response, changed their original post - either to make themselves look better or to remove the context of the responses.

So yes...   the entire site is paying for the immaturity of a few people.

it may be reversed at some point or the mod site issue may be fixed. In the mean time, let's stop complaining about it and move on.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gluz

At first I was thinking that the first post on MODs support topics were created automatically from the MOD site after the MOD were approved, then it updates automatically as the MOD creator update it on the MOD site.

This is how is supposed to be done for support topics, I think.

live627

Quote from: Irisado on May 19, 2015, 05:10:56 AM

As Illori has stated above, a workaround was being looked at, so maybe someone with coding skills could have another look at it, and see what can be done ;).

* Irisado looks hopefully at live627.
I already cooked up the code and attached it in the relevant topic. Now it's up to the powers that be to test and add it to the site.

davidhs

Quote from: Gluz on May 19, 2015, 06:29:33 PM
At first I was thinking that the first post on MODs support topics were created automatically from the MOD site after the MOD were approved, then it updates automatically as the MOD creator update it on the MOD site.

This is how is supposed to be done for support topics, I think.
When you create a MOD, a topic is created but when you modify your MOD the topic not is updated.

This would be helpful in official support topic of MOD but in my case I have other support topic in Spanish board.

Perhaps can be add a field "Can be modify" to all post and moderators can set or not this field.

Steve

They're currently working on a solution. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

margarett

The functionality for having the first post of the support topic updated when editing the MOD is now implemented.

Many thanks live627 and Sleepy for making it happen :)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: