News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Guest access to hidden resources

Started by wireless, June 01, 2015, 02:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

Quote from: wireless on June 14, 2015, 04:18:12 PM
(...) that so called technical support (...)
Best of luck for you in finding your problem.

What we told you was based on the numerous times that we've seen the same (or similar) issue. And in what we know - SMF has an impeccable security record. Something so obvious like broken access control would have been reported and diagnosed for YEARS.
So forgive me for stating that the issue is, most likely, not an issue.

But, even if we (I, in particular, other team members should answer by themselves) offer our free time to properly diagnose the problem, you maintain that attitude and still bash us.
If you work in IT for as long as you say you do, you should know that volunteers don't exactly enjoy getting that kind of attitude when offering their time.

Again, best of luck.
* margarett out
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

wireless

Quote from: margarett on June 14, 2015, 04:59:17 PM
Quote from: wireless on June 14, 2015, 04:18:12 PM
(...) that so called technical support (...)
Best of luck for you in finding your problem.

Yes - and this is the answer ....

What we told you was based on the numerous times that we've seen the same (or similar) issue. And in what we know - SMF has an impeccable security record. Something so obvious like broken access control would have been reported and diagnosed for YEARS.
So forgive me for stating that the issue is, most likely, not an issue.

This is an obvious result in a situation, when every request is commented as "non existing" or "result of a design". As I have written - SMF is the only known piece of software, which has NO ISSUES - as every report of that is being rejected.

But, even if we (I, in particular, other team members should answer by themselves) offer our free time to properly diagnose the problem, you maintain that attitude and still bash us.
If you work in IT for as long as you say you do, you should know that volunteers don't exactly enjoy getting that kind of attitude when offering their time.

Again, best of luck.
* margarett out

When or where have you offered me any help? I see only your comments, that "this issue does not exist". And your wishes ... thanks for them, BTW. I've already stopped to count on any help from your side. Have already your wishes. I'm pretty sure, that's enough to solve the problem  >:( >:( >:(
Regards, Wireless

Steve

Quote from: wireless on June 14, 2015, 05:33:16 PMWhen or where have you offered me any help?

Quote from: margarett on June 12, 2015, 06:35:59 PMNext week I'll provide you a mod that will record any REAL access from a guest to any topic in given boards. Then you can check your database and my bets are that you will find that table empty every single time.

Sounds like an offer of help to me.

Will a mod or admin please deal with this thread?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Colin

Wireless, you have been offered assistance ample times throughout the life of this thread. If you choose to ignore or disregard it that is under your prerogative, but please do not suggest that such help was not offered.

Thank you Margarett and Kindred for volunteering your time to look into this.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Kindred

ok....   Wireless, you need ot back off.

You **HAVE** been offered help a number of times and have pretty much ignored such offers, preferring to moan about how terrible we are here at SMF instead. You keep making really silly statements
QuoteSMF is the only known piece of software, which has NO ISSUES
We never said that SMF has no issues.   We stated that SMF has no KNOWN security issues as of 2.0.10.
(obviously, there were known and confirmed issues in previous versions, hence the release of 10 patches so far)
Your report not withstanding, that statement is currently still true --- because we have been unable to confirm that your report is any sort of ACTUAL issue.

So, you have provided screen shots. Sorry, but screen shots are buck useless.

I have looked at your screen shots - and I have told you a number of times - either you have a misconfiguration or you have something happening on your system which is very specific to your system and does not exist as an issue on ANY other system.

margarett offered a special mod just for your forum to capture the access that you keep reporting (but can not provide any evidence of other than  random screen shot which could illustrate the non-issue situations we have already explained to you)
I have offered to have someone take a deep look into your system... (but this would, of course, require direct and administrative access)

So -- despite your unhelpful and pugnacious attitude, you have two offers, which prove that we are willing to go above and beyond what any VOUNTEER group should have to do...   instead, you continue to berate us for not fixing something which WE ARE UNABLE TO REPLICATE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

So... here's the deal.
Put up or shut up.
Either accept one of the offers or leave.  Use SMF or find another software. Do whatever you want, but stop attacking us for "not helping" despite the numerous attempts we have made to actually help you.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wireless

The only help offer I have ever seen in this thread was Margarett's post - after few days since the thread has been created ... and after I have asked for any news.
I have sent to you screenshots of this issue, but it is obvious to me, that these PMs have been simply ignored. You have not posted any comment, apart from that "this issue does not exist". And - as a proof - you have written, that noone has signaled such issues and that you have not replicated it.

For me personally - this is enough. I would not like to participate in a discussion, where two SO CALLED technical supporters write that this is not a problem, not being able to provide any proof for that.

I do not know, if you are, in fact, member of a technical support team or not, volunteer, or a fulltime employee, but, if you are signed as "SMF Master, Project Manager" ... etc then I think that I have full right to suspect that you support it.

For me - EOT. As I have written - I've already stopped counting on any help from your side. The thread can be closed, and you can still be happy, that you support a software without any issue.
Regards, Wireless

Herman's Mixen

If you are so scared to seeing so called ghosts, then just remove all permissions from the un-registered/guests group

second the who's online algorithm is not accurate on what actually is happening  it just gives you an indication of the last 15 minutes in a time frame

so no worries ;)
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

LiroyvH

If you don't want any help, then why are you asking for it?
If you just want to bash the staff here and refuse offers to help you, why even open a topic?
If you want to deny everything that is being told to you by experts, and stubbornly stick to your own conclusion: why even ask for opinions?
And on a related note: have you never heard of pre-programmed bots?

I'm really not quite sure what you want, but it sure looks like you're not really interested in any help at all; and are being quite rude while at it.
Simple: do you want help or not?
If you want help: don't be so rude, and try to work with the people that want to help you; rather than constantly work against them.
If you don't want help: great, just say so; then we can call it a day.
No middle ground here. You can either let people help you, or stop wasting our time...
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Kindred

Quote from: wireless on June 14, 2015, 07:18:22 PM
I have sent to you screenshots of this issue, but it is obvious to me, that these PMs have been simply ignored. You have not posted any comment, apart from that "this issue does not exist". And - as a proof - you have written, that noone has signaled such issues and that you have not replicated it.
Ummm... You don't read very well, do you?
I stated that the issue could not be replicated, on multiple systems. Not that the issue did not exist... Merely that, since the issue could not be replicated, it suggests that the actual issue, if it does exist. It specific to your configuration/system.

For me personally - this is enough. I would not like to participate in a discussion, where two SO CALLED technical supporters write that this is not a problem, not being able to provide any proof for that.
I beg to differ.  We have been able to prove that we can not replicate your issue.
You, on the other hand, have not been able to prove that there actually is an issue.
We have a few screen shots and your claims... Not actual logs or evidence that your claims are anything more than a misunderstanding of how the system works.

I do not know, if you are, in fact, member of a technical support team or not, volunteer, or a fulltime employee, but, if you are signed as "SMF Master, Project Manager" ... etc then I think that I have full right to suspect that you support it.
Actaully, you do know exactly what I am... I am the smf project manager, as my badge indicates. We are all volunteers, as our "about the smf team" also clearly indicates.  So, your claims to not know what we are seem to be specious... Or at least indicate a level of ignorance which means that you never bothered to look at anything about the smf team.

For me - EOT. As I have written - I've already stopped counting on any help from your side. The thread can be closed, and you can still be happy, that you support a software without any issue.
And, once again, you make specious claims...
We never said that smf has no issues...
And you HAVE had two offers for Help...

So, both of your arguments/statements are proven to be false... Thus, since we have been unable to replicate your issue, and you have been unwilling to help us help you, we have to assume that you have probably made a mistake and are just unwilling to admit thatbyou misunderstood the system.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: