News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF default theme not Responsive Mobile-Friendly Mean loss web rank and traffic

Started by ahmadtrco, June 06, 2015, 12:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahmadtrco

Google announced in may 2015 that Google Will Punish You If You Don't Have A Mobile-Friendly web theme 

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+rank+low+webs+if+not+responsive&spell=1&sa=X&ei=NiNzVYzSD4PoUsPqgvgJ&ved=0CBoQvwUoAA

SMF not yet has it default theme as responsive  theme Mobile-Friendly

So SMF support urgently need to change its default theme as responsive  theme Mobile-Friendly

Did we need to leave SMF forever as if its not default theme as responsive  theme, Mobile-Friendly if we still use it  with out Mobile-Friendly default theme then it mean we are going to loss web rank and traffic in Google

So request you please urgently change SMF default theme to responsive  theme Mobile-Friendly

Kindred

First and foremost...   Since you are complaining about responsive, I have to assume that you are not actually using 2.1, so why did you post in the 2.1 support area?   2.1 has a responsive theme for default.

Second, you obviously did not bother to search, or even bother to READ, since we made an announcement a month ago regarding making 2.0.x's default theme (curve) more responsive... And there are about 6 other responsive themes available.

Third, you are incorrect about your interpretation of google's (albeit, stupid) behavior.  You only get penalized on mobile results, desktop result ranking remain the same, from what Google has claimed.

So, I have a request of you...  Would you please read the announcement threads and learn to use search?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

i assume due to what you posted you are using SMF 2.0 and not SMF 2.1 that has a responsive default theme. take a look at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=535720.0

Chas Large

Criticising someone for NOT using 2.1 when the notice on the downloading page says:

Note: As this is in development, we do not recommend running SMF 2.1 on a production site.

Is a bit much IMO.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Illori

Quote from: Chas Large on June 07, 2015, 02:19:08 PM
Criticising someone for NOT using 2.1 when the notice on the downloading page says:

Note: As this is in development, we do not recommend running SMF 2.1 on a production site.

Is a bit much IMO.

this topic was started in the 2.1 board hence the replies received, it was then moved to this board.

Kindred

Exactly... The post was originally made in the 2.1 board, but was fairly obviously not ...  And was also fairly obvious that the op didn't do a lick of research
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

andrea0000

Hello all  :)

To be honest, I'm too didn't find any Responsive Mobile-Friendly default theme.

What I have found is only  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4040  which still have some bugs and is beta status.

So where I can find an easy to install Responsive Mobile-Friendly theme for my forum that is working?

P.S. @Chas Large, I have visited your forum, you have a Responsive Mobile-Friendly theme. May I ask you how you make this?

Thank you for any help  :)

Andrea

Kindred

1- the responsive curve mod is the official release to make curve more-or-less responsive and it the best you are going to get for the 2.0.10 default theme at this time
2- there are several themes on our customization site and 4 themes by Bloc (I think they are available on the tinyportal site) which are responsive
Слaва
Украинi

andrea0000

Hello  :)

Thank you, but more (or) less responsive is not a 100% solution.

I don't know what is "tinyportal" and I don't use it. Just need a simple Responsive Mobile-Friendly theme that works with SMF.

I see that anyone, even hxxp:startpage.com [nonactive], hxxp:cnn.com [nonactive] and all other have updated the website to a Responsive Mobile-Friendly theme becuase of Google  :(

As long Google is the only search engine that people are using worldwide, we have to do what they want us to do.
If you like it or not, the Internet belongs to GOOGLE!

Thank you

Kindred

read: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=535720.0

the responsive theme mod allows the curve theme to pass Google's tests.

Additionally, I never said that you had to use tinyportal. I said that Bloc has released 4 responsive themes which are available on the tinyportal.
Additionally, there are several responsive themes which have been submitted and are available on our theme site.

As for "more or less responsive". Yes...   because 2.0 Curve was built with tables, and, since 2.0.x is fully stable, a completely re-written theme will not be released with it. That is what 2.1 is for.

In other words, these complaints are pointless since we have ALREADY RELEASED an update which allows the default theme to pass Google's checks.
If you don't want to use it, then fine... that is your choice, but stop claiming that we don't have a responsive theme.

Слaва
Украинi

andrea0000

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read that people have some problems with the official release...?!  :-\

Kindred

some people always have problems...

the main thing is - don't specify a width for your forum in the settings and it's all good. They are having issues because the 90% width that they have set breaks the responsiveness.
Слaва
Украинi

Realinfo

Sir there is need 100 percent solution mobile version of SMF, kindly help us, either release 2.1.1 or better version of responsive mod, thanks

Illori

Quote from: Realinfo on June 09, 2015, 11:08:54 AM
Sir there is need 100 percent solution mobile version of SMF, kindly help us, either release 2.1.1 or better version of responsive mod, thanks

considering that 2.1 is still in beta, i really doubt at this point there will be a 2.1.1 release.

if you want a better mobile/responsive theme then look at others that are available.

Kindred

Quote from: Realinfo on June 09, 2015, 11:08:54 AM
Sir there is need 100 percent solution mobile version of SMF

Why?

the responsive mod that we released will allow the curve theme to pass Google's test and thus inflict no penalty on the site from Google.

The responsive mod that we released will make the curve theme about as responsive as it is going to get, given the fact that the design is 5 years old and uses tables...   The only way to make it "better" would be to re-write the whole thing...   Which you are free to try to do, if you like. However, we would rather focus on getting 2.1 to a stable form than in trying to completely re-do something which is just going to get replaced.

And no...   we will **NOT** be releasing a completely new theme for 2.0.11. period. end of story.
Слaва
Украинi

a10

Hello, have used it on my forum since the mod's release, on slightly modified curve, maybe there are factors I am not aware of but so far all working well, passed the google tests, & members happy with it.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Kindred on June 08, 2015, 01:33:49 PM
As for "more or less responsive". Yes...   because 2.0 Curve was built with tables, and, since 2.0.x is fully stable, a completely re-written theme will not be released with it. That is what 2.1 is for.

I haven't seen the actual theme we have, but you can still make it fully "responsive" without changing the html ;)

You can make tables display as blocks. Though, for the calendar its still not easily doable, it needs to stay like a table; but you can make the rest scale down completely.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

Forty two...   No, the curve theme can not be made fully responsive without compketely redesigning it. Period. We looked.  We made the edits necesarry to pass Google's tests... That is all that is needed for the moment.   If someone wants to build a whole new theme from the ground up, basically replacing 90% of the template files, then they can go for it.

I'm the mean time, we have something that works,moor a google perspective and a dispkay perspective...   And we are working on the fully responsive theme in 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Gwenwyfar

Hm, no, it can because mine is. Down to 240px due to some users having something that small. I did not modify anything in the basic templates besides some custom stuff of my own (like adding a sidebar, and other things like that).

Topic and messageindex... Still need to add icons for some buttons but most of the users use it on mobile without an issue. And that's default curve template. Don't mind minor issues, I didn't have time to complete it 100%.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

I didn't say that it would not WORK...  I said that it would not be fully responsive...  And while, yes, you can shrink it down like that, that is different from being fully responsive.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: