News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF default theme not Responsive Mobile-Friendly Mean loss web rank and traffic

Started by ahmadtrco, June 06, 2015, 12:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwenwyfar

So what exactly do you have in mind for "fully responsive"? I did not change font size for mobile, and some icons are actually larger in it, that's default for the whole forum.

Also, it looks like that because that's what I wanted it to... Minifying everything and hiding all buttons and info is not exactly my idea of responsive. You could still hide poster info, make larger buttons, position them elsewhere, simplify everything more or whatever you want without changing anything or very little from the templates. The tables there are the least of the problems.

I get not wanting to go through the trouble of doing it when a new version is just about to go out, not much point in doing so and I'm not saying you should do that. But saying it can't be done is just misleading.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

That's my point...  "Fully responsive" would - to start with
Adjust the font size properly
Allow the reorganization of content based on screen size - not just collapse inward.
Change text to icons
And several other things...

If you have done some modifications beyond the responsive mod, and have it working like you want, then good for you. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

Font size is controlled by the css, not the templates. I made it that way because that's how I wanted it to be, not because it "can't be done another way without changing the templates".

Readjusting content will still be within the bounds of what is already there and can be done without problems, too. I collapsed it because though the info should be there, I did not want to have to keep scrolling down to see it, and it should look similar to the desktop version :) It looks much better a little larger, that's extremely small, many responsive sites out there won't go under 320px and I have only one user in need of that size.

Text to icons is another extremely easy to make which does not require any template modifications... Which I agree is missing, but I did not have time to do it yet.

Yes, but it means it can be done. If it won't, that's another story.

Edit: Just took a look on smf 2.1 "responsiveness", and some parts break at 240px. Also, just hiding everything is easy, you don't need to change the templates for that... Doing a copy of the 2.1 theme in 2.0 would be even easier than doing what I did.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

Would you please stop arguing with me?

The curve theme can not be made fully responsive Eliot totally redesigning it. Period.
If you want to prove me wrong then go ahead and do it. I still maintain that it can't be done nearly as simply as you are suggesting.

The curve2 theme used for 2.1 could be back ported, but it would essentially be totally redoing it and it's not worth the work for our team. But Anyone else who wants to is free to do so...
As for any issues with the 2.1 curve2 theme, report them on github.... I have not seen the issue that you indicate.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

Because Curve2 not designed for very low phones. We took 480p as base. Reason if you ask, because Curve2 is powered with HTML5/CSS3 means it needs browser with that capabilities otherwise its gonna look broken/bad. As another assumption 240px width screens are powered with stock browsers (or Opera Mini) has no HTML5 capabilities. Pretty much time wasting on testing things, considering I have limited devices and mostly doing changes via FF-Responsive Mode.

I don't like hiding things a lot, but its needed for UX, surely we can fit elements for sake of UI but will it improve UX? That's the question I asked myself before starting coding it. 2.1 still in beta progress, it'll change based on feedback from users, and I'm planning to add more elements back, just trying to find right way :)

Advertisement: