News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Promotion Permissions

Started by adamjs, June 10, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamjs

Forum version: SMF 2.0.10 (more detailed)
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.10
MySQL version: 5.5.43-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
PHP: 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.9
Server version: Apache

Afternoon All

I have a website that I'm newly administering.

They have user permissions set as

etc,etc.

All members at 60+ can promote, but can promote to above their level, by 1. IE a 60 can promote to 70, etc. and they can promote themselves.
On this logic, they can promote themselves by one rank 4 times and become permission 100.

On the old SMF, you could restrict what ranks could promote to which level to prevent this from happening. Is there a way to do it on the updated version? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you in advanced for the assistance.

Kind regards,
Adam.

Kindred

What do those numbers mean?

Because, I don't think you could EVER dupo whatbyouvarebworried suggesting.

Post count based groups are automatic based on the post count.
2.0 introduced joinable and requestable groups..  But moderators for those groups are individually assigned, not by another membergroup
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

adamjs

Quote from: Kindred on June 10, 2015, 06:42:09 PM
What do those numbers mean?

Because, I don't think you could EVER dupo whatbyouvarebworried suggesting.

Post count based groups are automatic based on the post count.
2.0 introduced joinable and requestable groups..  But moderators for those groups are individually assigned, not by another membergroup

Each group is assigned a security/permission number.

100 is full permission, OWNER
90 is CO-OWNER, which has similar permission but less.
80 is management
10 is Guest (extremely limited) and there are a multitude of levels inbetween. The lower the number, the lower the permissions,etc.
So on and so forth. I apologise, I am new to SMF so I'm not sure if this is simply aesthetic or actually holds a security rating.

They do not user post-count based groups - Moderators assign members to groups when necessary.
But the main fact is there are groups. In the old setting it would work like this:

A level 60 member (lets call him a moderator for argument's sake) could assign anyone below him/her to any group below him/her. So they could change a member to groups 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50, but couldn't assign them to a group higher than themselves (prevents moderators being able to put members in the 'owner' group). They now have that ability and I can't see where to adjust this.

If the numbers are confusing you, the main question (I think) is how do I restrict moderators to which group they can assign members?

I apologise, I am not explaining this well, it is late.
I hope you can make sense of this.

Kindred

Nope.. There is no way to do what you are asking in smf without compketely redesigning the permissions system
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

you could use the group moderators function to do some of this, but you would have to assign the users manually to each group they can add/remove members to.

Kindred

Except, if you read, the OP wants anyone in a group to be able to assign a lower group, which means that user a, at level 60 could take user b (currently level 20) and bump him to jebel 50... And now user b has permission to bump other users to level 40, instead of level 10.

As I said, there is no way to automatically do this without redesigning the entire permisions system
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

It seems that this *IS* working already so you should have a MOD for it.

So... Which MODs do you have?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

i bet the op is giving out permission to modify groups...

Advertisement: