News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Most recent IP address of members shows server IP

Started by Tonyvic, June 17, 2015, 11:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyvic

I'm running SMF 2.0.10 and for the last two days every member who has logged in has their correct IP address and our server IP address listed in the 'Most recent IP address' of 'Track User'.
We have not added/deleted or altered anything for some weeks, has anyone got any idea why this should suddenly start happening?

Illori

ask your host if they have changed anything recently?

margarett

Is the ip showing with their IP, your server IP, or both?

If it's using the server IP, chances are that your host is using CloudFlare or similar cache/proxy system.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Tonyvic

Illori, I have submitted a ticket asking them.
Margarett, Both their normal IP address and the server IP address.

Tonyvic

Reply from host, although not sure I believe them:
QuoteWe have not make any changes under your hosting account or on our server end. We do not edit our clients data without his prior permission. May be it is due to theme so we will request you to please check the same with your web developer.

I also have a test site which is an exact copy (file and database backup from May) of the main site and is permanently in 'Maintenance Mode', I am the only one who has logged in for a week and now my profile on there also has the server IP as well as my own.

DSystem

Very easy to find out what's going on.

Create this file ipclient.php and upload in the root of your hosting (public_html)

<?php
echo '<BR><BR>REMOTE_ADDR ' $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] . '<BR><BR>';
?>

ex.: http://xxxxxx.xxx/ipclient.php

If the result is the server IP the problem this on hosting.

Tonyvic

Quote from: DSystem on June 17, 2015, 07:14:25 PM
Very easy to find out what's going on.

Create this file ipclient.php and upload in the root of your hosting (public_html)

<?php
?>

ex.: http://xxxxxx.xxx/ipclient.php

If the result is the server IP the problem this on hosting.
Thanks for that DSystem, the result is my ISP IP address so must assume it's not a server problem.

Any other ideas guys, maybe a clue as to where to look.

Kindred

Quote from: margarett on June 17, 2015, 11:49:07 AM
If it's using the server IP, chances are that your host is using CloudFlare or similar cache/proxy system.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DSystem

Tonyvic

Contact your webhosting support and ask why the REMOTE_ADDR variable showing the server ip.

Tonyvic

Quote from: DSystem on June 18, 2015, 08:07:41 AM
Tonyvic

Contact your webhosting support and ask why the REMOTE_ADDR variable showing the server ip.
DSystem,
When I ran the file you kindly suggested, it only shows my ip address and not the server's.

Tonyvic

Quote from: Kindred on June 18, 2015, 07:46:08 AM
Kindred,
I read the following to mean if it was only the server ip address showing.
Is the ip showing with their IP, your server IP, or both?

As it is the members ip address from their ISP and the server ip address, I assumed it wouldn't be that. Plus of course the reply from my host stated:
QuoteWe have not make any changes under your hosting account or on our server end. We do not edit our clients data without his prior permission. May be it is due to theme so we will request you to please check the same with your web developer.

This has only been happening for about 3 days now.

Kindred

well, I have known hosts to be unclear over what constitutes a "change"
(there are any number of hosts out there who are actually very clueless)

As for why it would show both...  does it show both as RECENT or is it only HISTORICAL?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Tonyvic

Quote from: Kindred on June 18, 2015, 08:43:33 AM
(there are any number of hosts out there who are actually very clueless)

As for why it would show both...  does it show both as RECENT or is it only HISTORICAL?
Most support staff at my host can't even understand English, the servers are in UK but I suspect support is in another country! ::)

Both as recent in Profile/Track User/Most recent IP address.
Also both IP addresses appear in new registrations whilst they wait for 'approval', so even before they login.

margarett

SMF, on its own, wouldn't magically start to record different IPs, methinks...

Anyway, user IPs are obtained from
$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']
or
$_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP']
or
$_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']

So try this code
<?php
echo 
'<BR><BR>HTTP_CLIENT_IP ' $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'] . '<BR><BR>';
echo 
'<BR><BR>HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR ' $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'] . '<BR><BR>';
?>

Anyway it has to be something in the server configuration which has changed.
Does it happen to all users or just some?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Tonyvic

margarett,
Attached is screenshot of the result with your code.

The server ip address has been added to every members profile who has logged in over the last 3 days. When I check users profiles who haven't logged in for more than 3 days, it is only their own ISP ip address showing.

margarett

I changed the code a bit. Can you please repeat? (it's just the text, which I copy/pasted and forgot to change :P )

Then you should send the new image to your host. If you have the X_FORWARDER_FOR, there is a proxy in the way...

Tonyvic

Many thanks for that, will send result to them and let you know their response.

Tonyvic

Their answer is:
QuoteYour domain "********-******.net" is pointing to *.**.47.72. It seems your forum having some code which is showing the server IP for you domain. Please let us know the exact URL or steps to replicate the error so we check and update you accordingly.
???

Will have to wait for the next response. ::)

Tonyvic

Quote from: margarett on June 18, 2015, 04:14:05 PM
SMF, on its own, wouldn't magically start to record different IPs, methinks...

Anyway it has to be something in the server configuration which has changed.

Spot on Margarett, they finally come clean:
QuoteWe have recently install nginx and varnix behind the regular web service on server to boost the website performance. It seem you are facing issue due this new settings. If possible then please ask your developer to update related code Or if you wish we will migrate your domains to other server not having such custom configuration.

Also from about the same time myself and a number of members have noticed a change in Browser habit. After reading new posts the 'new' icon remains, the only way to clear it is an F5 refresh or logout and back in. Would that also be caused by the server change?

Illori

assuming they mean varnish, yes that can be causing the issue as it is a cache method/app.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varnish_(software)

Advertisement: