Updating to 2.0.10 - Package Error

Started by Janz, June 27, 2015, 03:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janz

As usual I update the forum through the package manager, every time it has always been fine, no errors. This time up dating from the 2.0.9 to current of 2.0.10 there was a test failed as shown in my screen shot which is in  ./Themes/default/languages/index.english.php and the replace file has failed.  All other files are fine and pass the test.

There have been no changes I have done within even the last year.  Can anyone tell me why this time there is a problem?  I am running the forum in the default template. 

Thank you,
Jan

Janz

By the way, I only have one modification installed on my forum which is the Ad Manager and it has been in place there for at least 3 years, that's never been a conflict with any of the updates.  I have a couple of years ago added a Google Translate and recall placing it in some file which I can not recall where I placed it but even in the past 2 or 3 updates, still no problem with conflicts in updating.

My forum web url is at: www.pionusparrot.com/pf [nofollow]

Shambles

Did you click the little pencil/clipboard icon to see why the install test failed on that file?

Steve

You're so bad Shambles lol ...

All kidding aside, Shambles has a point ... asking about an error without telling us what the error is makes it hard to help.

If the error is the one about the version looked for and the one found are different then fortunately for you, we've seen this quite a few times and it's extremely minor so click here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=536161.msg3809804#msg3809804

:)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Janz

Okay, no I did not click the pencil icon prior but now I have looked at them.  The first one says to change it to the version 2.0.10 which was located right on the second line, mine said it was 2.0.8 so I changed to the current version of 2.0.10  Then one other pencil icon said to change from 2014 to replace with 2015 which was a ways down the page.  So I changed them both but now it still showed the same error test fails and yet they were changed. I removed (deleted) the upgrade and retried it but still gives me the same thing.  I read your link you gave. Not sure what else to do. Thanks!

br360

When you have an error in one or more files in the installation process, and you go ahead and edit the suggestions it is telling you to, the error notice will most likely still be there when getting ready to install after the correct edits were made.

If you made the changes, it's ok to install and should do so cleanly.

Janz

Okay I suppose I can "Install" it and if I do and something is not right, just wondering if anything can be or get corrupted? 

br360

Things can always get corrupted when replacing/editing files, but based on the errors you were reporting, no- there should be no issues at all as all you are doing is replacing the version number and date in that file.

Let me try to give you a better example. When I patched to 2.0.10 I had the same exact error you did. My error in Themes/default/languages/index.english.php told me to replace-
// Version: 2.0.8;
with
// Version: 2.0.10;

I got that error because the package manager was looking for 2.0.8; and even though I was actually on version 2.0.9, that file still had 2.0.7 as the version number. When I went and changed that to 2.0.10; it was fixed and all good- yet I still had the exact same error when I went to install the patch. The package manager was still looking for the 2.0.8 so it could change it to 2.0.10- and couldn't find it as I had already changed it myself to 2.0.10.

LOL, I hope that made sense.

Janz

Oh ok, Thank you very much, I can see and understand that!! Then I will continue with the install.  At this time, I have shut down the forum to a "read only" at this time which had nothing to do with the error I was having trouble with. I want to try to keep the version and any updates current while I let it sit idle.

I just now installed the update and all is okay I suppose at least the little green button is showing green next to the version in the package manager. Not sure what would go wrong if it was not right.

Thanks again everyone!! :)

Steve

Quote from: Janz on June 27, 2015, 06:02:44 PMOkay I suppose I can "Install" it and if I do and something is not right, just wondering if anything can be or get corrupted?

br360 is absolutely right in everything he said but I just wanted to add that before upgrading to a new version or installing ANYTHING, backup! Get in the habit of this and you'll save yourself a lot of grief. ;)

Quote from: Janz on June 27, 2015, 06:25:24 PMI just now installed the update and all is okay ...

Cool beans. Do you know how to ftp down the Themes/default/languages/index.english.php file, fix the minor error, and ftp it back up?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Janz

Quote from: Steve on June 27, 2015, 07:00:12 PM

Cool beans. Do you know how to ftp down the Themes/default/languages/index.english.php file, fix the minor error, and ftp it back up?

Yes, I do know how to FTP but I did the edit within the Theme in the Admin, that's okay that way isn't it?  Or I can do it on the server where I see files.

Illori

Quote from: Janz on June 27, 2015, 07:09:25 PM
Yes, I do know how to FTP but I did the edit within the Theme in the Admin, that's okay that way isn't it?  Or I can do it on the server where I see files.

it is always better to use FTP as you can make a backup just in case the edit causes a issue.

Advertisement: