Error when trying to import database to new host

Started by peps1, July 17, 2015, 11:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peps1

Have changed Host, but every time I try and import a back-up of my database I get this:
Error
SQL query:

--
-- Table structure for table `smf_ads`
--
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS  `smf_ads` ;

MySQL said: Documentation

#1046 - No database selected

margarett

You need to create a database first, then select it in phpmyadmin and then choose the "Import" option (from inside the database).
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

peps1

Quote from: margarett on July 17, 2015, 11:10:08 AM
You need to create a database first, then select it in phpmyadmin and then choose the "Import" option (from inside the database).

Thank you.

How do I do that?

I see a option for 'create table' but not 'create a database', are they the same?

And if so, what should I put in all the boxes

(i think this is going to be a long day  :'()

margarett

If you can create a table then you should be inside a database already... If you go to the "Import" tab above you should be able to import the dump.

If not, the best (quick) solution is to upload your database backup to your hosting (eg, via FTP) and ask your host to import it for you.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

peps1

Thank you, managed to import it now  :D

Just a little stuck on what to do next.

Assume I have to use the repair_settings.php?

When I run that I get:

QuoteWe were unable to detect your Sources folder. This is crucial for this tool to work. Please be sure it exists.

QuoteSome settings are not being shown because the database connection information is incorrect.
Check your database login details, table prefix and that the database actually contains your SMF tables.

I think I know what to put in as far as:

Server: (info from my host)
Database name: (name of the data base you just help me make and import)
Username: (info from my host)
Password: (info from my host)

SSI Username: (Optional) ? no clue
SSI Password: (Optional) ? no clue
Table prefix: ? no clue

Paths & URLs
Forum URL: (My URL, do i need to put /forum as I have my forum not on the root but in a /forum folder)
Forum Directory: ? no clue
Sources Directory: ? no clue
Cache Directory: ? no clue

Kindred

do you actually have the FILES and DIRECTORIES in place on the new host?

Is so then follow the instructions about repair_settings.php on the wiki
1- run and enter your database information (save)
2- run again and enter your other path and URL information.

You MUST have Settings.php in the root of the forum, and put repair_settings.php in the same location
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

peps1

OK, will I need to move my Sources folder from /forum/Sources folder to root too?

Illori

repair_settings.php should be run in the same folder that Settings.php, Sources [folder], Themes [folder] can be found in. if you want the forum in the forum folder you put repair_settings.php in that folder as well.

peps1

Quote from: Illori on July 17, 2015, 02:05:06 PM
repair_settings.php should be run in the same folder that Settings.php, Sources [folder], Themes [folder] can be found in. if you want the forum in the forum folder you put repair_settings.php in that folder as well.

OK, done that, now!  ;D

Still getting

QuoteSome settings are not being shown because the database connection information is incorrect.
Check your database login details, table prefix and that the database actually contains your SMF tables.

I' doubled check and im defiantly using the right:

Database name:
Username:
Password:
(as it tell me that information in my host control panel) 

But, for "Server:" is this the same as "Host" in my control panel xxxxxx.xxx.mysql?

Illori

if you are not sure where your database server is located ask your host.

peps1

OK put what they told me in there.

Now I get no option to save on repair_settings.php ???

And if I go to my forum I just get:

QuoteUnknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'

margarett

That means that you are using 2.0 files in a 1.1 database. Load the large upgrade package and run upgrade.php

peps1

Quote from: margarett on July 17, 2015, 04:58:58 PM
That means that you are using 2.0 files in a 1.1 database. Load the large upgrade package and run upgrade.php

Oh that sound really bad as I was running 2.0.9 when I backed up the database?

peps1

Please follow your other topic (I suggest marking it unsolved again)

For that reason I am locking this ;)

Sorry, I thought as we have moved on to a different topic, it would have been better to open a new thread.

But you are right, this still looks like a database issue!  :'(

peps1

Wont this overwrite my entire forum?

peps1

well that didn't work, just get a blank page for myurl/forum/upgrade.php ?

Illori

peps1

Quote from: Illori on July 17, 2015, 07:29:33 PM
did you upload the large upgrade package or ?

Yes, uploaded the upgrade package, first overwriting my existing files, and then as a clean install, both time with epair_settings.php to make sure they have the new database and host information, not joy!

Still a little confused to why I would have a 1.1 database if I backed up and was running a 2.0.9 forum on the previous host with no problems?

I have now just removed all the files, and not sure where to even start over.....

peps1

OK, started from scratch:

Uploaded my backed up forum files to myurl/forum on the new host.
Used repair_settings.php to link to the new database
uploaded the uncompressed files from smf_2-0-10_upgrade.zip to my /froum
Run myurl/forum/upgrade.php

And get this....

The files are on the host, I used FTP to put them there and selected overwrite existing flies.

Can I get some help, as I'm getting nowhere fast!

Illori

do you have language files that are not updated? the copyright year for 2.0.10 should show up as 2014 not 2013. is your path to the default theme correct when you ran repair_settings.php?

Advertisement: