• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.
September 21, 2021, 04:29:10 AM

News:

SMF 2.0.18 has been released! Please update. Read more.


Avatar doesn't show up on topics

Started by 69Paull, August 06, 2015, 02:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Paull

Hi guys! I'm having an issue here and I coudn't fix it by myself. When I upload an avatar to change my profile on the forum, it shows up everywhere but on topics, how to fix it? Here is some screenshots:

On the index:



On topics:



Thank you.

Illori

does it do the samething if you use the default theme?

Sir Osis of Liver

If you right click on the question mark, does properties show a path to image?
"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley." - Robert Burns

Illori

Quote from: Krash on August 06, 2015, 03:04:03 PM
If you right click on the question mark, does properties show a path to image?


i think the question mark is a default avatar that the theme has added incorrectly. i bet right clicking on the question mark and getting its properties will lead to a path to that image.

Sir Osis of Liver

Probably right.  Which theme are you using?  Have you tried reinstalling it?
"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley." - Robert Burns

69Paull

Quote from: Krash on August 06, 2015, 03:50:50 PM
Probably right.  Which theme are you using?  Have you tried reinstalling it?

I'm using a theme edited by me. Based on Redsy by SMFTricks.

Right clicking on the image it gives me that path:

extremeracingcrew.com/Themes/ExtremeRacing/images/noavatar.png

Sir Osis of Liver

Yep, that's what Illori said.  What is the path to the avatar you see elsewhere?
"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley." - Robert Burns

69Paull


69Paull

Here is the screenshots from the avatar settings of my forum, is there something wrong?

http://i.imgur.com/As1CMg1.png
http://i.imgur.com/iQ5YALR.png

Sir Osis of Liver

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley." - Robert Burns

69Paull


Steve

Compared to my settings, in your second image, I have 'Specific Directory' selected in the dropdown box at the bottom, then the absolute path in the next box and the url in the last one.

Specific Directory

/home/*****/public_html/forums/avatars2

http://forums.**********.com/avatars2
Please do not PM me for support.

69Paull

Quote from: Steve on August 06, 2015, 05:21:52 PM
Compared to my settings, in your second image, I have 'Specific Directory' selected in the dropdown box at the bottom, then the absolute path in the next box and the url in the last one.

Specific Directory

/home/*****/public_html/forums/avatars2

http://forums.**********.com/avatars2

Like this?


Steve

There shouldn't be a drive letter in the Upload directory box ... and compare what you have to mine format-wise ... obviously your path is going to be different but the format should be the same.

And I should stop responding as I didn't mean to take over Illori and Krash's assistance since they are far more knowledgeable than me.
Please do not PM me for support.

69Paull

So lets wait for them, thanks mate  :)

Illori

Quote from: Steve on August 06, 2015, 05:28:26 PM
There shouldn't be a drive letter in the Upload directory box ... and compare what you have to mine format-wise ... obviously your path is going to be different but the format should be the same.

there is a drive letter as the op has a windows server so it is setup differently.

really without being able to see your forum and the issue there is not a lot we can do to help.

69Paull

Quote from: Illori on August 06, 2015, 05:50:05 PM
Quote from: Steve on August 06, 2015, 05:28:26 PM
There shouldn't be a drive letter in the Upload directory box ... and compare what you have to mine format-wise ... obviously your path is going to be different but the format should be the same.

there is a drive letter as the op has a windows server so it is setup differently.

really without being able to see your forum and the issue there is not a lot we can do to help.

I disabled the maintence mode already, now you can access it.

Illori

you are talking about http://extremeracingcrew.com/index.php?topic=2.0 ? what theme is this based on?

also the directory you are uploading avatars to, should NOT be the avatars directory, it should be another one. if it is the avatars directory that means that anyone that can select an avatar from the gallery will see everyones avatars to select from.

69Paull

Quote from: Illori on August 06, 2015, 06:35:25 PM
you are talking about http://extremeracingcrew.com/index.php?topic=2.0 ? what theme is this based on?

also the directory you are uploading avatars to, should NOT be the avatars directory, it should be another one. if it is the avatars directory that means that anyone that can select an avatar from the gallery will see everyones avatars to select from.

Yes, I am talking about this. All forum is based on Redsy by SMFTricks.

I fixed the directory thing, thanks.

Illori

// Show avatars, images, etc.?
if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']) && empty($options['show_no_avatars']) && !empty($message['member']['avatar']['image']))
{
echo '
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=profile;u=', $message['member']['id'], '">
<img src="', $message['member']['avatar']['href'], '" class="img-thumbnail img-circle" alt="*" />
</a>';
}
else
{
echo'
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=profile;u=', $message['member']['id'], '">
<img src="',$settings['images_url'] ,'/noavatar.png" class="img-thumbnail img-circle" alt="*" />
</a>';
}
if you did not change that code i dont see why it should have this issue. after you changed the avatars folder did you upload the avatar again and see if that helps any?

69Paull

In which file this code is placed?

e/ Yes, I tried to upload this again but no success, I tried to use one of the avatars from the gallery too but no success as well.

Would it be a modified permission maybe?


Kindred

it's unlikely to be a permissions problem, if that's even possible (I don't think there is any permissions that involves display of the avatar)

The file is Display.template.php -- and it certainly looks as if SOMETHING has improperly edited that file to screw up the avatar location
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

69Paull

Quote from: Kindred on August 07, 2015, 02:24:40 PM
it's unlikely to be a permissions problem, if that's even possible (I don't think there is any permissions that involves display of the avatar)

The file is Display.template.php -- and it certainly looks as if SOMETHING has improperly edited that file to screw up the avatar location

I did not change anything on display.template.php while editing the theme. The code is still that:

// Show avatars, images, etc.?

if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']) && empty($options['show_no_avatars']) && !empty($message['member']['avatar']['image']))

{

echo '

<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=profile;u=', $message['member']['id'], '">

<img src="', $message['member']['avatar']['href'], '" class="img-thumbnail img-circle" alt="*" />

</a>';

}

else

{

echo'

<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=profile;u=', $message['member']['id'], '">

<img src="',$settings['images_url'] ,'/noavatar.png" class="img-thumbnail img-circle" alt="*" />

</a>';

}

Kindred

in that case... it would seem that something (default avatar mod?) is interfering with the actual value of
$message['member']['avatar']['image'] and/or $message['member']['avatar']['href']
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

69Paull

Quote from: Kindred on August 07, 2015, 02:47:33 PM
in that case... it would seem that something (default avatar mod?) is interfering with the actual value of
$message['member']['avatar']['image'] and/or $message['member']['avatar']['href']

The mods that I have installed in my forums are just these:



e/ As I could check now, the signatures are not showing up as well.

Kindred

right...

so, if those are the only mods...  then please do the following

1- backup your files to your local drive.
2- reset everyone to the default theme (Curve)
3- Delete everything except the files Settings.php, Settings_bak.php and the Avatars and Attachments directories
4- upload a clean set of files (http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files)

Check and confirm if the avatars now show (using the default/curve theme)

If not, upload and run repair_settings.php
save
delete that file

check and confirm again...



Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

69Paull

Quote from: Kindred on August 07, 2015, 03:05:45 PM
right...

so, if those are the only mods...  then please do the following

1- backup your files to your local drive.
2- reset everyone to the default theme (Curve)
3- Delete everything except the files Settings.php, Settings_bak.php and the Avatars and Attachments directories
4- upload a clean set of files (http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files)

Check and confirm if the avatars now show (using the default/curve theme)

If not, upload and run repair_settings.php
save
delete that file

check and confirm again...

I uploaded the fresh set of files and it still doesn't show...

All the paths looks ok on repair_settings.php  :(


Kindred

Ok... the broken image in that location is NOT the avatar....    the broken image is for the stars..
http://www.extremeracingcrew.com/Themes/default/images/fundador.png


Since this is not a standard image, and you deleted the files, it makes sense that the image is not visible.


The interesting thing about your thread display is that there is no section even DEFINED for the avatar....




DAMN IT! I found it...

current theme settings
Show user avatars in message view
make sure that is CHECKED
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

69Paull

Quote from: Kindred on August 07, 2015, 04:07:12 PM
Ok... the broken image in that location is NOT the avatar....    the broken image is for the stars..
http://www.extremeracingcrew.com/Themes/default/images/fundador.png


Since this is not a standard image, and you deleted the files, it makes sense that the image is not visible.


The interesting thing about your thread display is that there is no section even DEFINED for the avatar....




DAMN IT! I found it...

current theme settings
Show user avatars in message view
make sure that is CHECKED

The broken image about the stars is an other thing, it was because the image was stored at the previous theme path, it's already fixed...

About the avatar: yes, this option is checked, it's kinda frustrating

Kindred

ok.... time to debug code then...

find this section again, in display.template.php
            if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']) && empty($options['show_no_avatars']) && !empty($message['member']['avatar']['image']))

Change it to
            if (empty($options['show_no_avatars']) && !empty($message['member']['avatar']['image']))

if that does not work, try
            if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']) && !empty($message['member']['avatar']['image']))

if not that, then
            if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']) && empty($options['show_no_avatars']))

finally.... if everything else fails, try this
            if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']))

let us know which one you got to before it started working...   that will help us figure out where the logic is failing...
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

69Paull

August 07, 2015, 04:28:18 PM #31 Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:06:06 PM by 69Paull
if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']) && !empty($message['member']['avatar']['image']))

This one worked.


Steve

Please do not PM me for support.

69Paull

Now that we have discovered where is the error, do I have to change something left?

Kindred

AH HA!!


Put the code back the way it was...

then go to
Admin > Themes & Layout > Member Options > Configure guest and new user options for this theme
index.php?action=admin;area=theme;th=1;sa=reset

Don't show users' avatars.
Make sure that is UNCHECKED

then
Admin > Themes & Layout > Member Options > Remove all members' options and use the defaults
index.php?action=admin;area=theme;th=1;sa=reset;who=2

I didn't even realize that was an option to be set in that location....
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

69Paull

Quote from: Kindred on August 07, 2015, 09:14:18 PM
AH HA!!


Put the code back the way it was...

then go to
Admin > Themes & Layout > Member Options > Configure guest and new user options for this theme
index.php?action=admin;area=theme;th=1;sa=reset

Don't show users' avatars.
Make sure that is UNCHECKED

then
Admin > Themes & Layout > Member Options > Remove all members' options and use the defaults
index.php?action=admin;area=theme;th=1;sa=reset;who=2

I didn't even realize that was an option to be set in that location....

Holy s**t, I didn't know that was an option in that location too, rofl.

I fixed the signature issue using this same method.

Thanks a million mate, you're awesome!  ;)

Steve

So you're all good to go then? If so, just click the 'Mark Topic Solved' button. :)
Please do not PM me for support.

Advertisement: