News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Index.php redirect

Started by Low, August 13, 2015, 11:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Low

Hi all, My forum is at .com/forum/index.php but Google has it indexed as .com/forum. The default canonical tag works great in saying what the real page is but hoping there's a way to (301 perhaps?)  redirect it to the correct URL?

Kindred

it IS the correct url... and regardless of what think you may see in google's list, the canonical tag is properly indexing the page(s) and google is actually tagging it correctly

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Low

Quote from: Kindred on August 13, 2015, 11:44:10 AM
it IS the correct url... and regardless of what think you may see in google's list, the canonical tag is properly indexing the page(s) and google is actually tagging it correctly
The correct URL would be the one the canonical is pointing to. The same URL you are taken to when you hit the home button. The same URL that ALL others are prefixed with.

We all know SMF isn't the best with SEO (the WAP page saga) but if anyone knows how to either 301 redirect to the canonical URL or change the canonical to point to the non-.PHP version that would be really helpful.

Illori

if you click the home button here you end up at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php which includes the index.php as it should.

Low

Quote from: Illori on August 13, 2015, 02:54:28 PM
if you click the home button here you end up at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php which includes the index.php as it should.
Yes, same with my forum.

Kindred

so? What is the problem then?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Low

If anyone can help with the original question that'd be a great help.

Illori

so far you have not told us there is a problem that needs to be fixed. you have not even given us a link to show us where your problem is. so there is nothing that we can tell you to fix the issue.

also we are volunteers and you should not be bumping your topic within 24 hours.

Low

Low

Quote from: Illori on August 14, 2015, 05:15:02 AM
so far you have not told us there is a problem that needs to be fixed. you have not even given us a link to show us where your problem is. so there is nothing that we can tell you to fix the issue.

also we are volunteers and you should not be bumping your topic within 24 hours.
I've NOT bumped at all! Just replied.

Illori

replying is the same as bumping, you did not add any additional information you just want a "fix".

still you have not proved to us there is a problem that requires a fix. index.php in the URL is expected and WANTED for SMF to work correctly.

Low

So we can only reply every 24 hours?

Again, read the OP, you are missing the problem and starting to make out I'm breaking the rules.

Gluz

Let me put it this way, the support team ask you to explain in a better way what your issue is, as your OP and your next comments didn't help to understand the problem.

And the only thing I understand from your OP is that your forum is that your forum is at .com/forum/index.php and nothing after that, if you explain it better instead of saying "Read the OP" will be more helpful.

Low

Quote from: Gluz on August 14, 2015, 06:00:58 AM
Let me put it this way, the support team ask you to explain in a better way what your issue is, as your OP and your next comments didn't help to understand the problem.

And the only thing I understand from your OP is that your forum is that your forum is at .com/forum/index.php and nothing after that, if you explain it better instead of saying "Read the OP" will be more helpful.
Let's get something straight, they NEVER asked to explain more clearly, they didn't read the OP and again like multiple threads, assumed nothing was wrong or should not be changed to a users liking. They didn't read the OP properly and responded along the lines of "there's nothing wrong". I told them to read the OP. Let me try again to make it easier for some:
QuoteMy forum is .com/forum/index.php, but Google has it indexed as .com/forum and it's also accessible at the .com/forum/ URL

Can anyone understand the situation? I would like a way to 301 redirect the /forum/ to /forum/index.php.

Gluz

Quote from: Kindred on August 13, 2015, 04:30:06 PM
so? What is the problem then?
This means that at least him don't understand what you are asking, so you need to explain it better.

Anyway, most of the servers are configured to, by default, when you point the browser to some domain/directory/subdirectory look for certain files to show, if they are not present then it shows the content of the directory/subdirectory. That files are "home", "default" and "index" in the vast majority of the servers and can have the extension ".html", ".htm", ".php" but also some accept ".asp" and ".aspx". So after that I hope you catch that your.domain.com/forum/ is actually being redirected to your.domain.com/forum/index.php by default by the server, except if you have another file (like index.html that is not recomended) in the /forum/ directory.

Kindred

I did indeed ask for clarification, because your original post didn't make much sense to me.

Your revised question still doesn't make much sense.  Why do you think you need a redirect of the root domain to index.php?
Quote from: Kindred on August 13, 2015, 11:44:10 AM

Слaва
Украинi

Low

Quote from: Kindred on August 14, 2015, 08:49:00 AM
Why do you think you need a redirect of the root domain to index.php?
For many reasons (which are none of your business), mainly because I want to, also including SEO, backlinks to the correct URL, branding.

My home page is .COM/FORUM/INDEX.PHP, I DON'T WANT ANYONE INCLUDING ROBOTS SEEING .COM/FORUM/. I know you don't encourage modifying anything, but you must realize people want to customize their forums.

Steve

Quote from: Low on August 14, 2015, 06:30:03 AMLet's get something straight, they NEVER asked to explain more clearly, they didn't read the OP and again like multiple threads, assumed nothing was wrong or should not be changed to a users liking. They didn't read the OP properly and responded along the lines of "there's nothing wrong". I told them to read the OP. Let me try again to make it easier for some:

Attitude isn't going to endear you to anyone who might want to help. Just a tip.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Low

Quote from: Steve on August 14, 2015, 10:47:18 AM

Attitude isn't going to endear you to anyone who might want to help. Just a tip.
Explaining something for the 4th time is "attitude"? No one asked you for a tip so jump off the bandwagon and mind your own business.

Kindred

We did ask for clarification...   You kept repeating, read the op... Which is pointless, since no one understood your original issue/question...   And that last post was a whole bunch of unnecessary attitude.
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

Well, I just restored your deleted post, right up near the top, in which you actually did (sort of) explain your point better.... Not sure why you deleted it, aside for, the incorrect dig at SMF's seo...

And, actually, to address the other post...   Actually, it IS my business,mince you seem to have a mistaken understanding of seo, and if someone just handed you what you seemed to be asking for, without getting clarification, you would be back here in a week complaining that what you were told tomdo screwed up your site.
Seriously, there is a REASON that we ask questions and clarifications... Because 90% of the time, what the user THINKS he/she "needs to do" is completely incorrect.
Слaва
Украинi

Low

Kindred, a few users have pointed out your attitude in replying to ANYONE wanting to slightly modify their forum. You can't stop people customizing SMF.

Why restore a post that I had the right to delete? Says it all really.

Kindred

I don't have attitude toward people modifying their forums... heck, I have several customized sites myself.

What you call an attitude is merely the voice voice of experience trying to determine whether the requested (sometimes demanded) change is,actually a good idea, or even needed.  Most if the time, people like you demand things which are not needed, not useful and often would have have a negative impact. I would be remiss to just hand them a code change without investigating their actual reasoning amd pointing out when something is a good idea, bad idea or a pointless idea.

The "attitude" comes from folks like you when when you don't get handed your desires on a silver platter.

Case in point, what you are asking for is not needed, and overall pointless. .. and might actually have a negative impact.
Слaва
Украинi

Low

Quote"people like you", "folks like you",
assuming you mean people who want to customize their forums?

Quote"what you are asking for is not needed, and overall pointless. .. and might actually have a negative impact."
So, you think me wanting to have the correct URL to my home page (the URL which is stated in the canonical tag, and the URL on the HOME button) indexed in Google is a bad thing? Having duplicate content (found on 3 URL's) on Google is a good thing?

You must be getting your SEO knowledge from a different source to me.

Kindred

Boy, you just don't get it...   It's not that you want to customize your forum. Get over that... And stop,playing the victim, because you certainly are not...     You are rude and demanding -- and are mistaken in how the systems work on top of all that.

There is no seo penalty, because the canonical tag handles it...   For all intents, the root and index.php are the same

And trying to put a 301 in place is likely to screw things up, as I have said several times.
Слaва
Украинi

Low

Must have hit a nerve. Perhaps in the future you should read the OP and stop assuming you know what's best for everyone, because you don't. You are really rude the way you approach members of this forum who don't tiptoe around you.

Do what you have to do but you're going back on my ignore list. I'm sure you'll change that though  ;D

Illori

so maybe we should put you on our ignore list too...

how about we go ahead and lock this topic as you are going no where with it.

Advertisement: