News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Enabling views on the topics?

Started by tectonny, August 24, 2015, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tectonny

I found which enables, when opening a topic the old version shows how many times it was viewed.

But how SMF 2.1?

I already use the beta 2.

Illori

seems that was removed, so it is not just enabling a feature to add it back.

since you can see the number of times a topic has been viewed on the message index and it is not always very accurate i dont see the advantage of adding that back in the message view.

tectonny

For me it's important.
Could you provide some coding to bring back function?

Kindred

you do know that the statistic is completely bogus?

If a person opens the thread 4 times, that counts a 4 views.
If a spider-bot crawls the message 3 times, that counts as 3 views

-- so the view count has no actual relationship to the number of users who have actually viewed the topic.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

br360

Quote from: Kindred on August 25, 2015, 08:38:01 AM
you do know that the statistic is completely bogus?

If a person opens the thread 4 times, that counts a 4 views.
If a spider-bot crawls the message 3 times, that counts as 3 views

-- so the view count has no actual relationship to the number of users who have actually viewed the topic.

Yes and no. I noticed that If a person opens a thread, and keeps opening it, it only counts as one view. In order for them to have the views of that topic increase, they would have to go open a different topic on the forum, and then come back to the first one and open it again. 

Of course the views could still be skewed, but a person can't just open a topic and keep on pressing refresh a bunch of times to increase views of it.

Kindred

that is correct....   but I could "bot" it so that each bot hit is a fresh browser session (which is, essentially what the spider bots do)
and, it is simple enough to bookmark a thread, view another topic and then click the bookmark after every other page view...   

basically, as I noted, the number is actually pretty much bogus. (I will back down from the statement of it being "completely" so...)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

live627

Quote from: tectonny on August 25, 2015, 08:19:08 AM
For me it's important.
Could you provide some coding to bring back function?
Display.template.php

find

<p>',$txt['started_by'],' ', $context['topic_poster_name'],', ', $context['topic_started_time'],'</p>';

replace with

<p>',$txt['started_by'],' ', $context['topic_poster_name'],', ', $context['topic_started_time'],'&nbsp;<span>(', $context['num_views_text'], ')</span></p>';

Advertisement: