Mass Deleting Users with Specific Emails

Started by Starz0r, September 07, 2015, 03:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starz0r

Alright, I have about 19.5K users using the same emails, they are all confirmed spambots seeing as they have no posts with this email. How can I delete all users using this email (without using SQL queries) and block anyone from anyone using it again?

I've already read the wiki page on Spam I don't need to see it again. As I've already taken a precaution and made the security questions harder to answer for pretty much all the bots unless you are doing a specific attack on my community. :P

side note: When will reCaptcha 2.0 be approved for usage in SMF software?

Illori

are they using the same domain or actually the same email address? SMF does not allow multiple users to use the same email address.

in the admin panel go to the members list, then click on search for members. in the email address field put in *@email.com and then search. this will search for all users that have an email address @email.com.

Starz0r

Quote from: Illori on September 07, 2015, 06:22:09 AM
are they using the same domain or actually the same email address? SMF does not allow multiple users to use the same email address.

I meant same domain, would be odd if spambots had a exploit for signing up under the same email.

Quote from: Illori on September 07, 2015, 06:22:09 AM
in the admin panel go to the members list, then click on search for members. in the email address field put in *@email.com and then search. this will search for all users that have an email address @email.com.

I can only delete users in that category one at a a time (400 pages of spambots under this email). Is there a more efficient way of dealing deletes?

Illori

if they are not doing anything, i would just leave them alone.

Kindred

In the admin member search, you can delete them a page at a time. If you set your count of times on a page to 100, it should be easy
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Starz0r

Quote from: Kindred on September 07, 2015, 11:24:50 AM
In the admin member search, you can delete them a page at a time. If you set your count of times on a page to 100, it should be easy

Where is that option? I don't see a way to change the count? I'm running 2.0.9 by the way.

Kindred

Your own profile settings....

Btw, you should upgrade.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Starz0r

Quote from: Kindred on September 07, 2015, 11:43:33 AM
Your own profile settings....

I'm assuming your talking about the Look and Layout section, and in that case, I don't see anything relating to that setting.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was in the admin section.

Quote from: Kindred on September 07, 2015, 11:43:33 AM
Btw, you should upgrade.

I would, but 2.0.10 gives me an upgrade error telling me it can't update the string that is displayed on the footer to say 'SMF 2.0.10' instead of 'SMF 2.0.9', and I'm just too lazy to fix that atm. (but not too lazy to be killing spambots, maybe I'm being a hypocrite)

Kindred

Its a global admin setting, but can be overridden by personal settings in your profile
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on September 07, 2015, 12:24:44 PM
Its a global admin setting, but can be overridden by personal settings in your profile

and it should be reverted when done, as it can effect performance.

CWFBoardsManager

Why not block the IP, then search for Members using that IP, select and delete.

Kindred

because they are probably using different IP addresses.

and blocking spammers by IP is actually WORSE than useless.
Useless because they will have another IP in 30 seconds
worse than useless because you will affect potential real users
Слaва
Украинi

CWFBoardsManager

Our experience is somewhat different.

We have found that certain hosting operations specialize in serving spammers.

What we do is this.

We have a system watch on registrations as well as on new Members.

We have had over 109K registrations since 1 January 2012, when we had to rebuild the Forums from scratch. Our present Members total only 1940. So you can see how huge a spam problem we have, even despite the Captcha, which was in place until 4 days ago.

If a watch shows spam or other delinquent characteristics, the system either rejects registration outright, OR such such persons are manually deleted later. Very, very few have to be deleted manually.

Right now we have only 6 IPs in our ban triggers. We configure our ban triggers like this: XXX.XXX.*.*

IPs are not banned outright.  The system bans an IP  ONLY if at least SIX registration requests are received from the same IP (all four elements being EXACTLY the same) within 3 minutes AND the username and email addresses present the same characteristics. Otherwise this is done manually too.

Kindred

and yet....   I have not banned a single IP in 4 years... and I have zero spammers.
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

good questions. a pool of 20 questions, asking 3 or 4.....   

I also use bad behavior+httpBL (because I like having a honeypot) and StopSpammer (which inks to SFS) - but SFS is basically useless now (for me) sincel I haven't had a spammer successfully complete registration in years.
Слaва
Украинi

Kiriakos GR

I am using (Are you human?) Mod, plus a list of six questions made by my self,  nothing gets in.
But even so all registrations require admin approval, when I am unsure I do require email verification.

By all these steps, I do have a clean community for three years now.
Fewer members, but all true people.

Steve

And a lot of extra work. Kindred's method works beautifully.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Aye Aye

So what;s his method? Sharing is caring . . .

Advertisement: