Inline multimedia (images/videos)

Started by CrescentEclipse, September 10, 2015, 08:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrescentEclipse

I am sure I read about it in the past, but actually I can't find this request anymore.

I am fully aware of a existing mod for this feature, but what about integrating multimedia uploads and inline displaying capabilities in SMF? SMF is slowly progressing in terms of modern usage and demands. We live in the age of web 2.0 and a forum should keep up with this. What prevents SMF from catching up to the future?

Yes, you can post a youtube link or upload your images on picasa or whatever, but what if you don't want to make it complicated (for the user), have all the pics scattered all over the web (different hosters, security reasons) and don't want to see dead links / placeholders where the images should be? Many hosters delete files after a period of time or don't offer a hot link feature to share it. It often just makes sense to just have a built in feature to simply select files, upload and post them inline with your text. Not install tons of mods, which may have bugs, don't work as expected, have security holes or are outdated and never will be maintained anymore. Nit every admin has the skills to enhance their forum on their own.

I think this is an important feature which every user and admin will benefit from.
What do you think?

LG Cres

margarett

There is a "in-development" version of that for 2.1
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/2839

But it's not ready yet. Do note that it works for images only, not videos
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

CrescentEclipse

Wow, great news! This really sounds promising.

I hope you guys will get it to work and maybe add some nice support for other media types like videos, text (txt, pdf maybe?) etc. If not, hopefully something like embedding youtube videos? I think this will push SMF in the right direction!

Hm, if you need further support, you may contact the author (dougiefresh) of two different mods aiming at filling these gaps in 2.0.

Thanks for your hard work! :)

LG Cres

Kindred

there are no plans to allow attached videos as playable.... you can load to a service or use one of the gallery mods for that.

and no...   embedding external videos to autoplay will probably always be a mod - since we avoid including code which requires third parts APIs to work (and which frequently changes)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

CrescentEclipse

Oh, okay. I thought with HTML5 embedding videos is really easy?
What do you mean by "load to a service"?

Do you know what options the admin will get to control the behavior of this feature?

PS: The free gallery mods I know are hard to install to custom themes or do not have separate folders for every user... :(

Kindred

control the behavior of the inline feature?

ummm...  attachments are posted inline - there is no control, setting or anything else needed.
Everything posts, just as it does now - but you can post inline. just like now, images posted as attachments generate a thumbnail.

PS - all three gallery mods that I know definitely allow each user to have a folder (or set of folders). The two bridges to other software that I know about also allow that.
(and all three of the gallery mods installed cleanly or with only minimal manual effort on 14 themes that I tried....)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

CrescentEclipse

Quote from: Kindred on September 10, 2015, 02:35:39 PM
control the behavior of the inline feature?
ummm...  attachments are posted inline - there is no control, setting or anything else needed.

Hm, what about displaying the download link / count or not. Showing them as thumbnail or full size. Removing them from the list under the post if used inline. Showing them in the post even if you disable the option to show images under posts.

just like now, images posted as attachments generate a thumbnail.

Nope, that's not true. If you disable the option to resize the images, then not.

PS - all three gallery mods that I know definitely allow each user to have a folder (or set of folders). The two bridges to other software that I know about also allow that.
(and all three of the gallery mods installed cleanly or with only minimal manual effort on 14 themes that I tried....)

Can you give me a hint? :)

Kindred

AFAIK, there is no "configuration" for inline attachments.

for the galleries, it all comes down to the permissions  -- you should ask for help in the support thread (or support site) for the mods...   but I most deifnitely have had individual user folders on AEVA and Levterine as well as the Gallery2 and coppermine bridges...   I have seen user specific galleries in the SMF gallery mods.
Слaва
Украинi

CrescentEclipse

Understood....

Regarding the galleries, AEVA and Gallery2 are discontinued and the first one is removed from SMF Mod Page. Gallery2 is not a SMF mod, you need a bridge to integrate things. SMF gallery only offers folder support (user can create his/her own gallery) in the paid pro version as far as I know. I can't find anything about Levterine, at least not on google... But, all that is not important to me. I don't need a gallery anyway. But it would be nice to have such features natively.

LG Cres

Kindred

Except that smf is a forum....   We don't have the resources to waste trying to make it into a gallery when that is better handled with a mod - since many people would have no use for a gallery when all they want is a forum.
Слaва
Украинi

CrescentEclipse

Shambles

Quote from: CrescentEclipse
I can't find anything about Levterine, at least not on google...

It was a typo - should have read Levertine, FYI ;)

CrescentEclipse

Thanks ;)
But I prefer free of charge solutions. I don't mind to donate a bit of money, if I really like what I get.

Regardless, I hope the inline image feature will progress well and maybe have some extras in the end of the story. I don't know if the person in charge is reading here, but some ideas (like in the existing mods) are already posted before. This would be nice.

Kindred

the feature is already in 2.1 beta - and there are no plans to work further on it...  so, you can look at any of the beta test sites and/or install your own test to check what it does and does not do.

As for "the person in charge"   technically, I suppose that would be me (although I try not to tell the developers "how to do their job" :D)
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

If you're talking about inline attachments, it's not yet merged Kindred. It's in development as per the pull request that I linked above ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

Oh... right. Suki is still working on the upload stuff.
Слaва
Украинi

CrescentEclipse

Not to late to add something new or enhance the experience xD
No, I will end the bugging and just let this feature evolve.
I only told my personal opinion for some handy options.
Think about it, tell Suki or just do what you have to do ;)
Anyways, thanks!

dougiefresh

Quote from: CrescentEclipse on September 10, 2015, 02:27:07 PM
Oh, okay. I thought with HTML5 embedding videos is really easy?
Yeah, HTML5 video tags are REALLY easy to use and compatible with ALL browsers, provided you upload a MP4, a OGV and a WebM formatted video and refer to all three in your usage.  Failure to provide all 3 means that SOME browsers will refuse to display the video because of lack of a supported format.  There are also some messed up things about the HTML5 implementation.  No, browsers will NOT provide a way to transcode a video locally from MP4 to WebM or OGV, and vice-versa.....

Oh, did I mention lack of support for AVI and WMV formats?  I'm sure that other formats are missing from this short list as well.....

Advertisement: