"New posts" icon should stay when new posts are not read

Started by Wolpo, September 25, 2015, 02:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolpo

Hello,

in SMF 2.0.10 and before, the "New posts" icon is shown in the respective board title line on the boards index page whenever a new post exists on that board.

That's fine.

When I click on this board title to open this board, each new post has a "NEW" icon.

That's fine too.

However, when I now click on the board index to re-open the board index page, the "New posts" icon is replaced by the "No new posts" icon. I think this is counterintuitive.

I think the "No new posts" icon should appear only when I've really read all new posts on that board, i.e. when all "NEW" icons are removed from the posts on that board.

Currently, when surfing on the forum by link-clicking (not by browser-back-clicking) I can never rely on the "No new posts" icon because there is always a chance that some NEW posts still exist on that board.

What do you think?

Regards,

Wolpo

margarett

That happens on purpose and it's due to performance improvement. It's quite expensive to know if there are real unread posts or not inside a board, thus the "soft approach" that SMF ships with.

You can use this to fix the behavior, do note the performance concerns though ;)
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3380
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Wolpo

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

I did asssume it's done like this on purpose for performance reasons. However, I didn't expect the additional costs were so significant. The same check has to be performed whenever the main page has been clicked at session start, and it is always shown without delay.

Oldiesmann

SMF tracks whether you've "read" a board by comparing the time when you last viewed the board (or when you clicked the "Mark as Read" button on the board index) with when the last post within a board was made. Trying to track whether you've viewed every single post in every single topic in all the boards you can see would be a huge pain, especially on larger forums.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: