News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Help with bad code

Started by snadge, October 02, 2015, 05:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snadge

hello

My SMF 2.0.11 forum is now 4 years old and over the years ive installed many add-ons, which obviously have made changes to code the other addons cant find to replace, i sometimes can do this by using filezilla and locating the slight changed code and inserting whats needed, however over the years its gotten a bit messy

some examples, i use SimplePortal so I can have a landing page that looks more like a website, but before that I used EasyPortal, now I cant remove that at all, Ive tried upgrading tapatalk which fails, aeva (which displays youtube links as videos) no longer works

what would it take to get someone official from SMF too take a look at the code>?

thanks

margarett

To get someone to look at the code would be *extremely* laborious and probably costly... You are talking about hours, maybe days of checking (and eventually not all conflicts can be fixed)

My suggestion to you is:
* Duplicate your current setup (in the same server or in your local machine)
* Load a fresh set of files --> http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
* Reinstall your themes and MODs, just the ones you need. Their data will still be there ;)
* Satisfied with the result? Great, now do that in your live forum ;-)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

snadge

I know thats what i was going to do, (start a fresh) but so much work (weeks/Months) went into it I cant even remember how I done some of the stuff on there (mostly with the theme and simnplePortal, there was a lot of manual resizing and stuff if i recall for the forum, putting all the links back on my guides page would take an age, I guess I will have to live with it until it gives up the ghost and theres no other choice but to reset the forum

and when I do I will see about making a website and having the forum as a subsection of the domain... e.g. forum.domain.co.uk

thanks for your help

Illori

dont forget to fix your paths when you move things, What is repair_settings.php?

snadge

thanks i will bookmark this page for when the time comes, ive backed up my forum on the server and put it in maintenace mode and going to see what it can do. I use filezilla and dreamweaver to edit the code

Kindred

Please do note.... if using Filezilla to move files....   CHANGE THE SETTING in filezilla to default to using BINary transfer mode instead of ASCII.
If you do not, then you will corrupt all of your attachments.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

snadge

ive been using at is in the  past

how does it corrupt the file? and how do i change it?

found it, it was on auto

Kindred

auto is bad...  change it to BINary
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: