View Own Topic permission

Started by debiwebi, October 06, 2015, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Except that we have a tool that addresses all of the necessary URLs and paths which means that you don't need to manually do things that will be mistakes or missed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

debiwebi

Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2015, 10:24:22 PM
Except that we have a tool that addresses all of the necessary URLs and paths which means that you don't need to manually do things that will be mistakes or missed.

Which is... ?   repair_settings.php?  I need to read up more?
Some mornings it just isn't worth
chewing through the leather straps.
~Emo

Unlimited Own Posts Editing Time

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

debiwebi

~Emo

debiwebi

Having some errors in the log since the mod install problem. I have no idea what these mean, or how to fix them, they've been repeated a multitude of times. There may be more, I haven't gone through all 2335 errors yet.

(Mostly this one)
8: Undefined index: empty_fieldApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File:
.../Themes/default/GenericControls.template.php (registration_form sub template - eval?)
Line: 300

8: Undefined index: empty_field
.../Themes/default/Register.template.php (registration_form sub template - eval?)
Line: 300

I also had 2,000+ errors for SAChat, so I've Uninstalled it for now.
Do you suppose if I delete and then reinstall SAChat that will fix the problems with it?

Also, is this something that repair_settings.php would fix?

~Emo

Kindred

no. repair_settings.php just corrects URLs and paths when a forum is moved

undefined index means exactly that... some code is calling for a variable which has not actually been defined.

If you got errors on any specific mod - you really need to follow up with the mod author in the support topic dedicated to that mod.

Also, turn off eval in your smf admin > server settings.
Слaва
Украинi

debiwebi

Quote from: Kindred on October 17, 2015, 03:40:45 PM
no. repair_settings.php just corrects URLs and paths when a forum is moved

undefined index means exactly that... some code is calling for a variable which has not actually been defined.

If you got errors on any specific mod - you really need to follow up with the mod author in the support topic dedicated to that mod.

Also, turn off eval in your smf admin > server settings.

OK, I'll do that with the Chat mod.

But the errors above are with files in the default theme folder, I don't think it's related to any mod other than my failed attempt to install the Private Topic mod. I've replaced the two files GenericControls.template.php and Register.template.php, hoping the files had just been messed up, but no change.

Thanks.

~Emo

Kindred

Do you see that eval statement in each of those errors?   That means that, while the error was TRIGGERED in that file, the actual error happened in some other file.
Слaва
Украинi

debiwebi

Suki was kind enough to "make a few changes and fix up the most obvious mistakes in the mod, did a quick test..." but did not indicate where to download the new files. I thought with mods the files are usually attached to the first post, which is not the case, but I did find this farther along in the topic:

Quote from: Suki
For this particular mod there is a release page on github: https://github.com/MissAllSunday/PrivateTopic/releases

Also package-info.xml says: <require-file name="PrivateTopicsTools.php" destination="$sourcedir">source</require-file> but that file is not in the packet.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
~Emo

debiwebi

Grrrrr! Why is your post modification time so short? I realize you have to have some control with such a large forum, but it's so inefficient to have to update posts piecemeal.

Here's the correct link to the edited mod files:

https://github.com/MissAllSunday/PrivateTopic/archive/master.zip

~Emo

debiwebi

Hi there. Since I can't edit or delete my own posts here, can an Admin please delete my last two posts in this topic? They would be msg3843960 and msg3844020.

This solution never went anywhere and therefore those last two posts are not only obsolete but inaccurate and misleading for others.

That would then also mean deleting this post msg3853834 so this thread will end sensibly. Thanks and happy new year to you all.

PS If anyone out there gets a wild hair and decides to revive the View Own Topic Permission Mod, please let me know. It's still something I'd love for my forum. I don't suppose there will be anything similar as a feature in 2.1?
~Emo

Kindred

well, before we do that, how about explaining what was wrong with the files from Suki?

Last I heard, her mods all worked pretty much as advertised - and she is almost always responsive to polite requests to address issues.

If you had problems, why didn't you post here or post in the issues list on Github?
Слaва
Украинi

Suki

I told the user to cooperate with me, help me test the mod and report any issues back to me but she wanted a ready to install bug free package right away. The user was also quite abrasive and quickly labeled normal coding practices as "bugs" such as not having an ?> at the end of a php file or questioning why I didn't set up everything the way she wanted.

I'm all up for fixing any bugs that mod has but I def won't be doing all the work by myself (specially not with this pushy attitude I get from this user), if this user wants that mod the least she can do is helping me test it  but expecting me to fix the bugs, set up an test environment, spending time testing it and provide a ready to install package for her unique needs all by myself its just too much, specially considering that mod isn't that popular so I will basically be working for her for free.

The mod has an open source license, anyone can update it, I strongly suggest the user to hire a coder she can rightfully demand "getting stuff done" from.

And before I get more complains, no I didn't delete your account and posts from my site, it was a silly mistake of mine.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

Thanks for the explanation, Suki.   It's about what I expected...  hence my statement:
Quote from: Kindred on December 30, 2015, 11:42:42 AM
... she is almost always responsive to polite requests to address issues.

:)

debiweb,
a note for future reference:  in a free software environment, you really need to approach things as a REQUEST -- ESPECIALLY if you want something custom.
The only time you have any "right" to demand anything is when you are paying for something AND have a clear statement of work and/or contract.
(to see how it is done properly, see my post HERE)
clear statement of what is expected.
clear statement of who holds what responsibilities
negotiated payment before any work is done.

developers are very sensitive to criticism about their work. Actual bugs mean that they made a mistake somewhere... and most developers are perfectly willing to FIX mistakes that they made (although it always helps to be polite and helpful in this case, as well)
However, demands that "it doesn't work the way I want" are not actual bugs. You are asking the developer to make the mod do something other than what was originally designed. Sometimes, this is a logical extension of the original design...  but more often than not, it is something truly custom to your desire and wouldn't really benefit anyone else. In either case -- but especially in the second case, you absolutely MUST be polite and MUST willing to assist if the developer has offered to do something you asked (for free, mind you!)

Слaва
Украинi

debiwebi

Whoa everyone, I feel like I'm being trampled here. Feel free to look through my few posts on SMF, I can't say anyone has ever accused me of being pushy and demanding.

I did question the absence of closing php brackets. I'm not a coder but have a basic understanding and apparently ?> is old school. As long as it works I'm good with it. My mistake:

Quote from: DWBrown
Quote from: Suki
leaving a php file without the closing ?> is a perfectly valid way and I've been using that way for years.
OK, thanks for the explanation.

And Kindred, since you asked, I did try the revised mod but had problems getting it to work properly. I set up a test forum and invited Suki, via her forum, essentially quoting the first paragraph from my forum:

Quote from: DWBrownThanks for your detailed responses Suki. Yes, I want to help with testing. And learn some things in the process. I made a test site a week+ ago in preparation for that, http://private-topics.cf. We can continue the testing there if you're agreeable; our dialogs during the process can be here. Please register there and adjust your notification settings for Instant/Replies. I'll make you an admin so you can get in and try/see things yourself.

and ending my forum post with this:

Quote from: DWBrownPlease let me know how you want me to proceed with testing your mod.

After a few weeks she hadn't followed the link (at least per my Google Analytics) so I figured she was not interested. Since our communications on her forum were gone I felt the opportunity was lost.

Quote from: Kindred on December 30, 2015, 11:42:42 AM
If you had problems, why didn't you post here or post in the issues list on Github?

Because she seemed sensitive to my taking the issue to anyone other than her, I handled communications as *her mod/her forum.*

Sorry if I'm out of line, I don't know what else to say.

~Emo

Suki

Quote from: debiwebi on December 30, 2015, 03:03:59 PM
Whoa everyone, I feel like I'm being trampled here. Feel free to look through my few posts on SMF, I can't say anyone has ever accused me of being pushy and demanding.

I wish I still have those lost topics at my forum.

You definitely were pushy and your tone was quite abrasive on my forum (and this is coming from someone with years and years of exp dealing with pushy ungrateful free mods users), you seem to tone down a lot when posting here but  I'm not talking about yours post here.

The ?> thing wasn't the only one, you were quite pushy as to why I didn't update the mod's description inmediatly, why I didn't have a ready to use download page, accusing me to offer multiple "misleading" links (when in fact thats how github operates), asking for "the correct files", asking for the zip file sizes to do your own checks (since I obviously don't know anything right?) and several other questions/bug accusations based on wrong assumptions.

You did asked for a ready, bug free package and didn't offer to cooperate with me until I asked you.

I did see your forum but after the way you acted at mine I honestly didn't feel like having to spend any time on this mod or at your forum, I'm sorry. I felt like I was going to be forced to work on something only you are going to use, for free while having to tolerate your pushy attitude.

And no, I don't feel "sensitive" I just didn't liked the way you acted (its not cool to expect a person to do all the work for you while you complain about things you really don't understand), thats all, again, feel free to hire a coder to fix up the mod or find another alternative, is up to you.

Anyway, to anyone reading this, yep I'm all for fixing bugs, updating old mods or re-upload missing mods, (I have done plenty of those and I still fully maintain all mods here) just ask things nicely.

Most of my mods doesn't actually require deep testing, this private topic mod is an exception since it modifies a lot of files and interferes with crucial/critical parts of a forum so an in-deep testing is required, hence my request to get some help with the testing stuff.

I don't like buggy code nor do I like been flagged as someone who doesn't cooperate or is unwilling to update any old mods so the offer still stands, whoever needs this mod and is willing to work in a polite non-demanding way, give it a try and report back any issues at the mod's github page or at my site.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Advertisement: