News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.0.11 and php 7

Started by spiros, October 28, 2015, 09:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

We have a higher requirement for minimum versikns in 2.1
We are not going to do that sort of change in the 2.0.x path
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Suki

Quote from: Daniel15 on January 19, 2016, 06:16:05 PM
I used to be on the customization team and work on the SMF code a lot

Thats cool to know as it means you do fully understand the size of SMF and therefore, you know its not that easy to do a full rewrite, now combine that with the hassles of any  open source projects.

Quoteand yes, people STILL use PHP 4
It's baggage that doesn't belong in a modern application. PHP 4 is long gone now. In fact anything older than PHP 5.5 is not even supported by the PHP project any more. At some point you need to let go of the past and move on

Thank you, but you see, we already know all of that ;)  what you say its nothing new, we are pretty aware of whats happening outside and from time to time people come to tell us exactly the same as you and then we proceed to explain the huge mammoth that is SMF and lack of manpower etc etc etc...  then we proceed to ask people to actually help us and thats usually when they mysteriously disappear.... ;)

Lots of people are upgrading to PHP 7, almost all major frameworks and quite a few major applications run out-of-the-box.

Please do note that I specifically said OS and hosting providers ;)  I know many projects are jumping in and thats great! good for them!  on the other hand its going to be a while before php7 becomes mainstream.

Our priority is release 2.1, next goal is making 2.0.x compatible with php7 via a patch.

Again, we aren't against upgrading, we aren't fond of php4  and we aren't ignoring whats going on either...  but please try to understand that we cannot automagically release a full rewrite fully compatible with cutting edge software by tomorrow... its unrealistic...

The decisions we made has been made thinking about all angles, all factors, yes php4 is fugly.... yes we should be targeting 5.6.... yes PDO yes DI yes... unit tests..... yes modularization.... yes {insert framework name here} ... etc etc etc... but we still have a pretty, massive, huge codebase to maintain.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Daniel15

Quotebut please try to understand that we cannot automagically release a full rewrite fully compatible with cutting edge software by tomorrow... its unrealistic...

Totally understandable :) The wording in my original comment was probably overly harsh. I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you or anything :)

Is there a list of known incompatibilities with PHP 7 (ie. stuff that actually breaks)? I'm happy to hack on some of them if I get some free time.
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Suki

Theres a PR that handles the session restrictions:  https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/3230

It coverts almost everything I believe but I gotta yet to create a test environment with php7 to test that PR more.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

wicked1

My server was upgraded to php7 today by the host, and it broke SMF 2.0.11 for me. Searching led me here and changing mysql to mysqli didn't fix the problems. Going to have to try out 2.1.

Antes

Quote from: wicked1 on January 27, 2016, 09:41:43 PM
My server was upgraded to php7 today by the host, and it broke SMF 2.0.11 for me. Searching led me here and changing mysql to mysqli didn't fix the problems. Going to have to try out 2.1.

You need to ask your host to downgrade to php5.5 (or similar) then apply the MySQLi modification then go back to php7. You cannot solve your problem just changing mysql to mysqli in settings.php

Do note: Modifications without mysqli support also breaks down your forum. You need to ask mod authors to update their mods.

About SMF 2.1, its still in development stage, unless you are comfortable with debugging and finding bugs I strongly suggest you not to upgrade to SMF 2.1.

vivien

PHP 5 is not available in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server: how to run SMF with Ubuntu 16.04 ?

Quote from: http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/04/php7-in-ubuntu-16.04-lts.html [nofollow]As such, PHP7 will be the only version of PHP supported in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

If you have a hard dependency on PHP5, then you should either remain on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty), which is supported for another 3 years.

vbgamer45

Downgrade to older version of  14.04 LTS (Trusty)
Current SMF will not work on php7
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

nend

I was planning to upgrade to 16.04, still planning though, just waiting til the kinks are worked out by the early adapters.  :laugh:

Not fond of the stock options, it is still a good OS with a few tweaks. I hope they got rid of that Ubuntu Software Center, I read they where.

Yeah, looks like PHP 5 is dead for now in 16.04, someone will add it though, maybe, just have to wait.

vivien

Active support for PHP5.6 upstream ends Dec. 31, 2016.
Security support for PHP5.6 upstream ends Dec. 31, 2018.

For those under Ubuntu server 15.10 , migrating to Ubuntu 16.04 (and PHP7) must be completed before July 2016 (end of security support for ubuntu server 15.10)

benoit.delerce

Hello everyone,

My web host plans to remove PHP5 in January 2017.

The developement of a compatibility patch (like PHP 5.5) is planned?

I reminds SMF 2.0.7 is not a security release but an update to brings full compatibility for PHP 5.5

It would be nice to offer the same for PHP 7.0, as SMF 2.1 will not be released until 2018.

Benoît

Suki

Yes, support for php 7 within SMF 2.0.x is on our plans.

No, there is no set date for SMF 2.1

vbgamer45

Thanks for update glad to hear 7.0 support for SMF 2.0.x
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

benoit.delerce

Thank you for supporting PHP 7 on SMF 2.0.

Speaking of evolution of the Internet, will it be possible to support IPv6 on SMF 2.0 ?
There are many traps for those using IPv6 with SMF 2.0

Benoît

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

vivien

We looked forward for the PHP patch 7 SMF 2.0

@vbgamer45 For IPv6, the mod http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3051 is unmaintained and is not compatible with the latest versions of SMF 2.0

Kindred

vivien,

almost any mod for 2.0.x is usable on any other 2.0.x version. That mod is just fine.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pekopeko

I try use PHP 7 with myboard (smf 2.0.11)
I use mod
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3469

And
function isReservedName() in Sources/Subs-Members.php Not Support PHP 7
because I think
In PHP 7, foreach does not use the internal array pointer.

How to fix I use Sources/Subs-Members.php in smf 2.1.0 Beta isReservedName() function on Only.

MobileCS

Quote from: Suki on June 27, 2016, 03:13:49 PM
Yes, support for php 7 within SMF 2.0.x is on our plans.

Any news when this might be available (officially)?

Suki

No news, there are plans but there are other other items that needs to be addressed first.

Advertisement: