Is it possible to post videos with 2.1?

Started by PaulKet, November 03, 2015, 05:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulKet

Is it possible to post YouTube and other videos with SMF 2.1? If it's possible, how is it done?

Illori

PaulKet

Quote from: Illori on November 03, 2015, 05:55:37 PM
not by default. you still need a mod.

In 2015? Are there any mods available now for posting videos that are compatible with SMF 2.1?

Is it possible to add BBcode that would allow the posting of videos? If it is, how would that be done?

Biology Forums

Hi Paul, posting videos, as in, video attachments - That is possible and always has been...

I think the main issue isn't whether it's the year 2015, but a lot of servers have limits in terms of how much storage can be uploaded/downloaded.

PaulKet

Quote from: Shuban on November 03, 2015, 06:38:35 PM
Hi Paul, posting videos, as in, video attachments - That is possible and always has been...

I think the main issue isn't whether it's the year 2015, but a lot of servers have limits in terms of how much storage can be uploaded/downloaded.

I just want to be able to put a YouTube video in a post, preferably without the need of a modification. With the popularity of video websites like YouTube, Vimeo, etc. it seems kind of silly that my question even needs to be asked. I hope I'm not sounding rude, I'm just a little frustrated that I don't see a way to do it.

Illori

we are not yet accepting mods for SMF 2.1, so we have no idea if any mods exist that can do what you want with SMF 2.1.

br360

You're welcome. Just remember that since 2.1 is still in beta and continues to be updated, the mod will have to be updated as well to ensure it continues to work properly. (assuming that the mod author continues to update his mod to coincide with the 2.1 updates)

Oldiesmann

Quote from: PaulKet on November 03, 2015, 06:30:06 PM
Quote from: Illori on November 03, 2015, 05:55:37 PM
not by default. you still need a mod.

In 2015? Are there any mods available now for posting videos that are compatible with SMF 2.1?

Is it possible to add BBcode that would allow the posting of videos? If it is, how would that be done?

We can't possibly support every video site out there, and supporting auto-embed (eg you post a link and it turns into an embedded video) is complicated. There's still a possibility that bbcode for YouTube might be added before the final, but no guarantee.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

vbgamer45

The biggest issue is the video sites tend to update/change their video embed code/urls often. I have deal with this my embed mod all the time.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

exactly...  and THAT is why we (and most of the other softwares, for what its worth) deal with embedding like that as a MOD, not as a core function.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Erdal1

I did it so

Open Subs-editor.php search and change it so from  (row1705 to 1709)

search : default/Sources/Subs-Editor.php

array(
                                        'image' => 'flash',
                                'code' => 'flash',
                                'before' => '[flash=500,300]',
                                'after' => '[/flash]',
                                 'description' => $editortxt['flash']
                        ),

change in

array(
                                        'image' => 'flash',
                                'code' => 'flash',
                                'before' => '[flash=500,300]https://www.youtube.com/v/',
                                'after' => '[/flash]',
                                 'description' => $editortxt['flash']
                        ),

You just need to add the code to the end of the link, See image

and they must flash.png icon, load by default / images / bbc

admin must be enabled in flash -> ...Admin/Forum/Post and Topics/Postsettings
and under BBcode enable Flash -> ...Confugirations/Feaures and Options/Bulletin Board Code
Bizim Dünyamiz - ELEKTRONIK SIGARA HAKKINDA BÜTÜN BILGILI KONULAR

Kindred

Do note...  enabling direct access to embed flash components is a serious security risk to your site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Erdal1

Alternatively, you can use HTML5 integration, but you must activate Enable basic HTML in posts

Confugirations/Feaures and Options/Bulletin Board Code/activate Enable basic HTML in posts

See images

You would have to expand the in, Subs-editor.php     so that it is inserted by Editor

Kindred

Holy mackerel NO!
that is even MORE of a security issue than flash.
Слaва
Украинi

Erdal1

I have no problem with Flash 8)

HTML5 is unlike Flash

Kindred

enabling general users to access the html BBC is a SERIOUS security risk, since it will allow them to use ***ANY*** HTML or javascript and can thus compromise your site in a heartbeat.

Allows users to access the flash BBC is also a secruity risk, since flash components can be designed to hack your site or the users who are accessing your site.

In other words, BOTH of your suggestions are SERIOUS risks and are ***NOT*** recommended to be used by anyone who has an ounce of security sense for their site.
Слaва
Украинi

Erdal1

No you're wrong, HTML Basic is only simple tags, not a complex code.

People want to multimedia in their forums, which is
normal.

Kindred

using the HTML BBC is ***NOT*** just basic/simple html tags

that checkbox to enable simple tags has nothing to do with the HTML BBC --   it means that the system will convert the bold, italics, etc into BBC.   Allowing the use of the HTML BBC as you show in your example will allow ***ANY*** HTML.

And there are SEVERAL mods which allow embedding multimedia. THOSE tend to be moderately safe, since they preparse the content
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: