Remove/suppress Search

Started by RobGullen, November 18, 2015, 05:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobGullen

I want to remove the "Search box" option from my Forum ... how do I do that please?

Thanks

Rob

Illori

margarett

Just go to Permissions, in every membergroup, and uncheck "Search for posts and topics"

Administrators are allowed to to everything so they will still be able to access it ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

RobGullen

Quote from: margarett on November 19, 2015, 05:02:33 AM
Just go to Permissions, in every membergroup, and uncheck "Search for posts and topics"

Administrators are allowed to to everything so they will still be able to access it ;)

They are all unchecked - I am only using "post count" groups (and Admin etc) to keep it simple - with SMF pretty much straight out of the box. 

Do I need to create and allocate a set of permissions to then be able to uncheck Search?

Rob

margarett

Make sure you remove the permission to ALL membergroups - including (and especially) "Registered Members". Every member of your forum which is not part of another "non-post-cont membergroup" is part of this ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

Quote from: margarett on November 19, 2015, 05:31:41 AM
Make sure you remove the permission to ALL membergroups - including (and especially) "Registered Members". Every member of your forum which is not part of another "non-post-cont membergroup" is part of this ;)

if you remove the search permission that also means the button in the menu will go away. is that what you want?

RobGullen

Quote from: margarett on November 19, 2015, 05:31:41 AM

Every instance of Search is unchecked in all groups ... I have 2 instances of SMF 2.0.11 running on 2 sites and both are the same?

Is there a way of disabling the Search box via .css or .php files as a permanent solution?

Rob

margarett

Is the search button visible to guests?

edit: I just tested and as soon as I uncheck the "Search for posts and topics" permission, both the "Search" button and the quick search at the top right corner disappear.

Remember that for yourself (administrator) everything is allowed so it will not disappear based on permissions.

Kindred

Wait....   you said above that you are using 2.1 beta....   but in your last post, you mentioned 2.0.11 -- what version are you running?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bigguy

Did ya get this figured out Rob. ??

Advertisement: