News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Issues with some Mods on SMF 2.0.11

Started by Aye Aye, November 23, 2015, 06:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aye Aye

Greetings;

I earlier used SMF 2.0.10 on Windows 7 Ultimate and had as many as 36 Mods installed.

In the meantime I had also upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

I upgraded to SMF 2.0.11 very soon after the release of the upgrade. Many Mods failed to work.

I believe my system is correctly configured.

Two of the Mods that I need but don't work:

Join date and location in Message view.

Simple Audio Video Embedder 3.5.1

There are also a number of Mods which are stated to be compatible with SMF 2.0.11 but fail the Tests prior to install.

I NEVER install a Mod which fails a Test prior to install, whether its .exe failure or some other.

All help will be appreciated. I have already sent feedback of the Simple Audi Video Embedder 3.5.1, and posted in the support topic for the Join date, age and location Mod.

Kindred

well, first and foremost...   support for mods should be requested in the support topics dedicated to those mods...
Since you have alreayd done tht, why are you posting here as well? 

second, to receive any useful help you would need to provide details
(like, how did you upgrade?   full upgrade? patch? some host-side upgrade?)

If you used anything other than the patch... then WHY?

What do you mean by "failed to work"
That is a useless description. provide actual DETAILS on what failed or how the failure manifests.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aye Aye

Quote from: Kindred on November 23, 2015, 08:45:31 AM
well, first and foremost...   support for mods should be requested in the support topics dedicated to those mods...
Since you have alreayd done tht, why are you posting here as well? 

second, to receive any useful help you would need to provide details
(like, how did you upgrade?   full upgrade? patch? some host-side upgrade?)

If you used anything other than the patch... then WHY?

What do you mean by "failed to work"
That is a useless description. provide actual DETAILS on what failed or how the failure manifests.

That  emboldened bit related to the Mods I had specifically mentioned.

"Failed to work" means that the Mods (apart from the two specifically mentioned above) pass the pre-install tests, are installed but do not provide the the functionalities they should after should after a successful install. (All such Mods have been uninstalled and deleted, but I do have the zip files of a few.)

The upgrade was done from a patch downloaded via the link which comes inline in the release notification.

That's one issue.

It seems that another issue has cropped up. Not too sure, but most likely it happened after I uninstalled of the Mods I tried a few hours ago.

I only install Mods which are explicitly stated to be compatible with my version, presently SMF 2.0.11.

I clear the error and spider logs daily. Some errors aren't being deleted.

Here's a screen grab:

One more important point.

The Forums Default Language is English. Urdu is additionally installed.

Language Name    Character Set    Users    Locale
   English         ISO-8859-1    1011    en_US
   Urdu         UTF-8                      0            ur_PK.utf8

Kindred

I will state this again, since you don't seem to be understanding.

Help with mods should be requested in the support topic for that mod.
If you have problems with mods, then ASK IN THE SUPPORT THREAD. period.
don't ask here...   we do not provide support for mods - that is the responsibility of the author.

As for the versions of mod that you install -- don't be silly.
Almost any mods for 2.0.x will work perfectly fine with any other 2.0.x version.

And why are you uninstalling mods before patching?  the whole point of the patch is that you do not need to uninstall mods.

if they worked for versions prior to 2.0.11, then you must have made a mistake somewhere, since there is very little (if any) chance that the upgrade to 2.0.11 stopped mods from working.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aye Aye

the Mods I am speaking of were uninstalled AFTER the upgrade, because they had stopped working. I then downloaded them afresh, deleted the old files, uploaded the fresh files, uninstalled them them when they did not function.

That said, why aren't the error messages mentioned in my earlier being deleted, and should I do to get rid of them.

Kindred

That is my point.

There is very little chance that the mods "stopped working" after the patch upgrade.
If they did, then you must have done something else which caused them to stop... I have upgraded some sites from 2.0 with mods, all the way to 2.0.11 by patch and the mods never stopped working.

I have no idea what you mean about "error messages"

The bit of image that you pasted had nothing to do with an error message.. it looked like one of your mods did not fully uninstall. In which case, you will need to manually remove the mod code
Слaва
Украинi

Aye Aye

^

By "error messages" I mean the messages in the Error Logs.

Whenever an administrative action is taken, 4 new error notifications are added to the Error log.

All these notifications relate to the . . . /smf/Sources/Admin.php

They are tagged as:

8: Undefined index; medispro_admin
Line 230
8: Undefined index; medispro_settings
Line 234
8: Undefined index; medispro_settings
Line 241
8: Undefined index; medispro_copyremove
Line 242

So what should I do so that these error notifications stop showing up.

I haven't the faintest what this "mediapro" thingy is. I haven't installed anything called "mediapro".

So far these notifications are only a nuisance. I mean apart from 4 of them being created every time an admin does something, everything else seems as it should be.

Kindred

Well, attach your admin.php file...

And. As a hint, when providing error messages, please provide the whole thing, not just the bits you excerpt.  You can blank out the paths... but the whole error message is important
Слaва
Украинi

Aye Aye

Quote from: Kindred on November 30, 2015, 05:46:51 PM

Well, attach your admin.php file...

And. As a hint, when providing error messages, please provide the whole thing, not just the bits you excerpt.  You can blank out the paths... but the whole error message is important

There was typo in my earlier post. The error notification says mediapro NOT "medispro".

Am attaching the Admin.php file and a screen shot of the error notifications.

Aye Aye

Gluz

Do you have installed Simple Audio Video Embedder MOD? because in your Admin.php you have it in the Admin menu, but the error says that the text strings in the Modifications.english.php language files are not there (technically only say that such text strings doesn't exist).

If you don't have it installed then you need to delete the mediapro section in the menu in Admin.php:

'mediapro' => array(
'title' => $txt['mediapro_admin'],
'permission' => array('admin_forum'),
'areas' => array(
'mediapro' => array(
'label' => $txt['mediapro_settings'],
'file' => 'AutoEmbedMediaPro2.php',
'function' => 'MediaProMain',
'custom_url' => $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=mediapro;sa=settings;sesc=' . $sc,
'icon' => 'server.gif',
'subsections' => array(
'settings' => array($txt['mediapro_settings']),
'copyright' => array($txt['mediapro_copyremove']),
),
),

),
),

If you have it installed, then you need to check your language files (Modifications.english.php) for something like this:
// Begin Auto Embed Media Pro Text Strings
$txt['mediapro_admin'] = 'Simple Audio Video Embedder';
$txt['mediapro_settings'] = 'Settings';
$txt['mediapro_save_settings'] = 'Save Settings';
$txt['mediapro_err_cache'] = 'Cache folder not writable must fix for performance!';
$txt['mediapro_settings2'] = 'Settings and configuration for Simple Audio Video Embedder';
$txt['mediapro_copyremove'] = 'Copyright Removal';
$txt['mediapro_copyremove2'] = 'Remove the copyright for Simple Audio Video Embedder';
// END Auto Embed Media Pro  Text Strings

Aye Aye

^

I installed the Simple Audio Video Embedder, perhaps three times, each time a clean install with a fresh download after uninstalling the old one. Somehow , it did not work.

I used to work fine in 2.0.10.

I haven't seen the Admin.php file with due attention nor do I know anything about how to alter/amend it.

I have English as default and additionally Urdu installed.

The character set for English is ISO-8859-1, which I assuming is the default set. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The character set for Urdu is UTF-8.

Aye Aye

Quote from: Gluz on December 01, 2015, 03:32:08 AM
Do you have installed Simple Audio Video Embedder MOD? because in your Admin.php you have it in the Admin menu, but the error says that the text strings in the Modifications.english.php language files are not there (technically only say that such text strings doesn't exist).

If you don't have it installed then you need to delete the mediapro section in the menu in Admin.php:

'mediapro' => array(
'title' => $txt['mediapro_admin'],
'areas' => array(
'mediapro' => array(
'label' => $txt['mediapro_settings'],
'file' => 'AutoEmbedMediaPro2.php',
'function' => 'MediaProMain',
'custom_url' => $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=mediapro;sa=settings;sesc=' . $sc,
'icon' => 'server.gif',
'subsections' => array(
'settings' => array($txt['mediapro_settings']),
'copyright' => array($txt['mediapro_copyremove']),
),
),

),
),

If you have it installed, then you need to check your language files (Modifications.english.php) for something like this:
// Begin Auto Embed Media Pro Text Strings
$txt['mediapro_admin'] = 'Simple Audio Video Embedder';
$txt['mediapro_settings'] = 'Settings';
$txt['mediapro_save_settings'] = 'Save Settings';
$txt['mediapro_err_cache'] = 'Cache folder not writable must fix for performance!';
$txt['mediapro_settings2'] = 'Settings and configuration for Simple Audio Video Embedder';
$txt['mediapro_copyremove'] = 'Copyright Removal';
$txt['mediapro_copyremove2'] = 'Remove the copyright for Simple Audio Video Embedder';
// END Auto Embed Media Pro  Text Strings

Right now, I don't have the Simple Audio Video Embedder installed.

From what I understand from your quoted message, if I delete the code text in  the mediapro section in the menu in Admin.php the problem will be rectified, and I will be able to get the functionality of the Simple Audo Video Embedder if I make clean install of the Mod again.

I haven't taken any steps yet, and will proceed after your response.

Siirist

Right now, I don't have the Simple Audio Video Embedder installed.

From what I understand from your quoted message, if I delete the code text in  the mediapro section in the menu in Admin.php the problem will be rectified, and I will be able to get the functionality of the Simple Audo Video Embedder if I make clean install of the Mod again.

I haven't taken any steps yet, and will proceed after your response.

I am NOT a support person, just a long time user.

I am replying out of courtesy. As stated previously, this is NOT the board to ask for support regarding the "operation" or "failed operation" of MODs whatsoever.
Instead, support for this MOD can be found here (simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=395039.0)

With that said for the last time (think this is why no one has or will reply);

1st - I have not seen the mention of backing up your database.

2nd - You have not mentioned what Theme you are using (shouldn't, but it may make a difference)

3rd - there is NO guarantee that "if I {you} delete the code text in  the mediapro section in the menu in Admin.php the problem will be rectified".
That is the desired outcome and the removal is only considered complete when you go to the MOD link, parse the MOD for your version of SMF and then manually verify / remove the code in each of the file(s) listed.

I would remove the MOD or MODs that are creating the errors (manually if necessary), and then check that the forum is running without errors. If you still get errors then continue un-installing MODs until the errors stop.
If you get errors without any MODs installed, then you have a problem that would normally be addressed here.

If your forum runs "normally" without any MODs installed, back up the database, and install the desired MOD or MODs one at a time and check for errors after each MOD is installed.

Regards,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Advertisement: