SMF 2 custom profile fields displayed in columns ?

Started by Gantry, December 06, 2015, 03:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gantry

Our list of custom profile fields using the built-in feature (not the mod) is getting rather long, somewhere around 75 items. We will likely be adding more, perhaps double that over the coming months or years.

Unless I am wrong, I do not see the possibility of formatting the output with a built-in setting to choose the data to be displayed in multiple columns? I'm thinking either 2 or 3 columns.

• Given the fact I am not a developer (though I was a programmer a few decades ago), is it easy enough to make some custom code changes to accomplish this?
  • If it is not easy, then what is more likely to achieve this, to request someone to write a mod, or a feature request for a future version of SMF?

Thanks!

Kindred

it is unlikely to ever be a feature in the core product... I can't really see most sites using that many fields.

I have moved this to coding -- but it MIGHT be as simple as CSS -- although I am not a CSS expert, so I'm not sure
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gantry

Thanks Kindred for the honest answer. If anyone can help suggest a CSS solution to this, or point me in the right direction (where the relevant files are) I would greatly appreciate it.

Illori

where are the fields you want to change the layout of? the profile fields can be displayed in a few locations.

Gantry

Currently, when you click on the username, it takes you to the Profile Info page, and that is where we show our custom profile fields.
They are comprised of Standard Placement, a description with a select box. The information's record appears in 2 columns down the page, example:

Marbles:Has
Slinky:Wants
Lego:Doesn't Want

Because on most screens there is a HUGE amount of wasted white space, we would like records to appear in 2 columns, example:

Marbles:Has                    Soldiers:  Has
Slinky:Wants                 Cars:      Wants
Lego:Doesn't Want      Sandbox:Has

excuse my quick'n'dirty formatting, but hopefully you get the idea.

Kindred

You actually should be able to do most of that with CSS...  It might need a little tweaking of the profile.template.php file...  But it's pretty much all CSS, I think
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

Well, what I actually said was: CSS plus possibly some tweaking of the profile template...

because the area that the OP is talking about is not a ul/li section...
the text is displayed in a dl/dt/dd series  -- so, it will probably need the addition of a css ID to the html tags -- in the template file
Слaва
Украинi

Bigguy

Advertisement: