News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Converted from phpBB, SMF thinks everyone is male

Started by Naksnaks, December 29, 2015, 07:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naksnaks

The subject pretty much sums up my problem. We didn't have a gender option on our previous board, and during the conversion the converter decided to make everyone male. I've tried to hide that info from people's profiles, not working.

I even tried to delete the gender from the sql database, but it produced an error and I had to revert.

Any help on the subject would be appreciated, I would much rather use SMF than phpBB.

PS. I'm a n00b when it comes to editing databases or .php-files, so dumb it down for me, will you? :D

Colin

Hi Naksnaks,

Welcome to SMF. Sorry to hear about that strange quirk in the conversion. Are you looking to just not display the gender or for members to go in and change their gender back to the correct type?

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Naksnaks

Hi Colin!

Thank you! I think it would be better to not show the gender at all. This are a bit complicated since the board is used by a lgbt-organization, and if we show gender, we should have trans as an option. I figured out how to do that by adding a custom field saying "other" too.
Our board has a lot of non-active members (we've been running that board since 2006 and people tend to fade away eventually), and sending members a request to go fix that by themselves seems like a lot of hassle and may cause some problems to me running the thing ;D

I'd love to use SMF as it seems far more flexible and easy to use than phpBB.

Colin

That makes sense.

You can hide the included Gender field with the instructions as follows:

1. Navigate to Admin -> Configuration -> Core Features

2. Select the button so it now looks like

3. Click Save at the bottom of the page

4. Advanced Profile Fields should now be a link. Click on it.

5. Deselect the corresponding Active checkbox for Gender and save your changes.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Naksnaks

Now this gets weird ??? I had done what you suggested and despite having the gender option disabled it kept on showing. Now that I disabled the advanced profile fields they disappeared and everything seems fine. Anyways, it's good that way, we don't need those advanced options, never had those in the old board either.

Thank you Colin, I really appreciate your help!  :)

Advertisement: