News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Possible mods and themes bug?

Started by Jade Elizabeth, December 22, 2015, 04:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

On 2.0 when you install mods onto Curve, if later you make a theme based on Curve it doesn't know the mods are installed on them...so uninstalling those mods becomes manual.

It would be good if in 2.1 it would also add itself or know what date it was created and be able to know if the mods are on it.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Kindred

that is not actually a bug -- nor is it really a feature that can be accomplished with the current SMF design.

The way around it?   more mods that use hooks instead of code edits...   then they get inserted into themes, regardless of the order of installation.
But that is dependent on the mod author...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

Yes but if it's copying the info, why can't it copy some sort of information or even add some information to include the currently installed mods so that uninstalling can work properly?

Why can't the info be stored in the database and then the theme can just be added to the list?

There's so many ways to do it...and if SMF itself is creating the theme in admin I think it should do it, if for no other reason than preventing people from really screwing up their themes by accident lol.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Kindred

when you create a copy of the default theme, it copies over the index.template.php and the css and image files - and then adds the theme to the list of installed themes

that's it....

telling the system to scan through all of the mods installed and mark "anything in the default theme as the new theme" could potentially be an issue one many sites that have dozens or hundreds of mods.

Yes, there are ways to do it. but it is not something that we are looking to do in the current design -- nor is it actually a bug, as I pointed out.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

How is this not possible? The database has a field for "themes installed"....why can't it just find anything with "1" in it and add ",2" to the list?

OR since timestamps are included save a timestamp on when the theme was created and on uninstalling check if the theme was created after the mod was installed.

live627

* live627 pokes around...

This is what happens when the theme is not very modular. That's the REAL problem here. Bad design.

You're waning to solve a symptom here.

Jade Elizabeth

Can you explain what a better solution would be? Even if it's not achievable currently so I understand? :D

live627

Base the theme off a fresh copy obtained from the install packages?

Jade Elizabeth

Then I would have to manually install the mods on there. That's still a bandaid and a horrible one at that lol.

Diego Andrés

Then you should keep track of those mods. There should be easy to identify, if they modified the index.template.php is because they can appear everywhere...
Also you can use a file compare tool.

And I don't find too much sense on it. Me as a themer or developer, if I want to make a brand new theme from scratch (for my forum only) but I don't want to lose anything installed on my forum, I would do this (making the copy from the default theme), so I can start working with everything on hand without worrying about missing some mode code. I mean, if I install a mod is because I really need it.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: Diego Andrés on January 03, 2016, 02:22:23 AM
Then you should keep track of those mods. There should be easy to identify, if they modified the index.template.php is because they can appear everywhere...
Also you can use a file compare tool.

And I don't find too much sense on it. Me as a themer or developer, if I want to make a brand new theme from scratch (for my forum only) but I don't want to lose anything installed on my forum, I would do this (making the copy from the default theme), so I can start working with everything on hand without worrying about missing some mode code. I mean, if I install a mod is because I really need it.

I think you've missed the point here.

I want it so that if you "create a theme" through SMF (a copy of default through SMF admin) it knows what mods are installed on it already so that you can uninstall them from the theme through package manager instead of being forced to manually uninstall them.

This will prevent errors, make it more user friendly, and just generally be an all around awesome thing to happen.

Diego Andrés

No I didn't, I think it would be very easy to identify a mods code once you are very familiar with the theme.
Most of the themes are based in the default theme, shouldn't be so hard to find mods code.

Back when I reviewed themes I found mods coding a few times by just scrolling slowly.

PS: I don't want to look offensive, I just want to point out that not everyone would require something like this.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Jade Elizabeth

I don't see how it wouldn't be handy.

I am managing a forum with 100s of mods on it, and they make new themes all the time. of course come time to uninstall mods I have to go through every theme to remove one mod because the mod doesn't know it's installed on those themes.

This means when I am uninstalling mods it takes 1000 times longer because I have to manually uninstall mods.

I'm not talking about people who are making themes for distribution, just your average Joe trying to make their own theme.

live627

Use a diff tool to get all the code differences from the theme into one file. I'm thinking that could be a good point of reference to start with.

nend

I don't think it is really a bug but more of limitation. Yes it could be done differently, maybe one day it would.

I would like to see a sandbox model, where as the original themes are not touched but each theme is compiled in a sandbox. So you would have a copy of every original and a copy of an compiled. Maybe can be done with the sources too.

Then when you want to do changes to mods every source and theme is compiled again against all modifications.

Only problem I foresee with this is space constraints. However if a original isn't touched by any mod then the original should be used.

I know hooks sound better, with object oriented programming it may be somewhat viable. Even then souce code modification will still have merits.

Advertisement: