News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

While migrating to the new host - confused

Started by siradams, January 16, 2016, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

siradams

Hello everybody,

We want to migrate our forum to the another hosting server which is serving under a different domain name.

I read those 3 steps for the migrating:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Hosting_-_How_do_I_move_my_SMF_forum_to_a_different_host

Our target server is a clean unix based server and supports php and MySql

What I want to ask is:

1) Is it needed to install anything on the target server before migration ? I'm asking that, because the 3 steps above, don't mention about any installation on the target server ?

2) 3 steps for migrating that link's given above, says that "copy the files" and "upload them to the target server" at the 1st step and then says that "backup the files and database and restore them to the target server" at the 2nd step. What is the difference ? And why we should make full copy-restore and also full backup restore as well ?

Thanks in advance.

Kindred

unless you are moving to an unmanaged server, it is expected that apache, php and mySQL will already be installed on the new server. There is nothing that you have to install/

the two steps are written a little confusingly, yes...    You need to backup the FILES and the DATABASE on the existing host.
You can do the files by FTP, as suggested in step 1. Some hosts have an option to backup files though, and the new host may have the option to restore a backup - this would be faster than transferring each file individually...   that is not required, though...
backing up the DATABASE *IS* necessary, though...   and then restoring it on the new host.

(remember, files and database are two separate, but important parts)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

siradams

Hi Kindred,

Thank you very much for your help.

I'm sorry for that I'm a newbie... Would you please tell me little about the difference between unmanaged and managed server ?

(We have bought a new server hosting service, it's a Unix server and the hosting company told us that our new server "supports" php and MySQL. I don't understand that, I should verify that if it only supports or it's already been installed... )

Quote from: Kindred on January 16, 2016, 10:08:52 AM
unless you are moving to an unmanaged server, it is expected that apache, php and mySQL will already be installed on the new server. There is nothing that you have to install/

the two steps are written a little confusingly, yes...    You need to backup the FILES and the DATABASE on the existing host.
You can do the files by FTP, as suggested in step 1. Some hosts have an option to backup files though, and the new host may have the option to restore a backup - this would be faster than transferring each file individually...   that is not required, though...
backing up the DATABASE *IS* necessary, though...   and then restoring it on the new host.

(remember, files and database are two separate, but important parts)

Illori

managed means that your host will keep the server updated for you and help you when issues come up. unmanaged means the host will not keep the server updated and if a problem happens they will most likely do nothing. so you should have a managed server if you have not managed one before.

siradams

I understand now. Thank you very much Illori.

Now, we've got a (I think semi-managed) web server. It's a clean Unix based server. MySql has already been installed. And we've got the FTP user and password of the web server.

Now, I think we need to install php and apache on the new target server before we move the files and database from the source server ( SMF version 2.0.11) to the new target server.

There are millions of links on the internet searchs about the installation of php and apache. 

Is there any link or procedure that you can recommend for me to follow ? Is it possible to install php and apache through only FTP access to the web server ? Or is there any other tool to manage the server and install the php and apache which is must ?

Thanks in advance...

Quote from: Illori on January 17, 2016, 01:26:55 PM
managed means that your host will keep the server updated for you and help you when issues come up. unmanaged means the host will not keep the server updated and if a problem happens they will most likely do nothing. so you should have a managed server if you have not managed one before.

Illori

if you have to ask those questions you are not ready for anything but a managed server. ask your host if they can help you.

Advertisement: