missing IP addresses

Started by antler, January 22, 2016, 03:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antler

Did a search and didn't find an answer on how some new members to my Forum are blocking their IP addresses. Not all members, just a few.

Kindred

How do you mean "blocking"?   How do you know that they are "blocking" their IP address?

What version of SMF?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

antler

Quote from: Kindred on January 22, 2016, 03:04:54 PM
How do you mean "blocking"?   How do you know that they are "blocking" their IP address?

What version of SMF?
SMF 2.0.11        unless SMF has a way to block certain, then the user must be doing it. Only 5 members do not show their IP address

Illori

can you ask those users if they are using ipv6 ip addresses? SMF 2.0 does not fully support those.

antler

Quote from: Illori on January 22, 2016, 07:42:30 PM
can you ask those users if they are using ipv6 ip addresses? SMF 2.0 does not fully support those.

I can ask but they will know the answer. Assuming they would have to ask their host.

Thanks

antler

On second thought, could it be cell phone users?

Kindred

See, you didn't actually answer my question by what you mean by "blocking"

From the conversation, can I assume that you actually mean "the user's IP address shows up as blank"

If you had answered that to begin with, I would have been abl to definititivly answer that the users are almost certainly in IPv6 addresses and 2.0 does not track those.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

antler

My apologies, being clairvoyant, I should have known exactly how to ask the question. You did however divulge an issue that I had never heard of before.

Uli LH

I found this thread while researching and read it with interest.

So two years later :-), I'd like to pick up this question again, because even in the SMF forum I administer (barchetta-Forum.de), the number of users for whom no IP is displayed is increasing (so probably users with IPv6).

Is there a way to change this situation, i.e. to display their IP in SMF?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Uli LH

@Kindred: Thank you a lot for replying so quickly!

Under these circumstances I decide not to run into any risk - if there is no better way.

Fortunately our forum is quite serious - and not too big, so I can adminsitrate it well in the most cases without having a look to the IP's.

SMF is obviously "getting into the years", but I still like the interface and the options very much!

Thanks again!
Uli

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Uli LH on April 17, 2019, 08:20:16 AM
SMF is obviously "getting into the years"

I believe SMF 2.1 supports ipv6.  It's at RC2, I would wait until final is released before upgrading production forum.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

the biggest question is: Why do you think you need to know the users' IP addresses?

Unless you are actually fairly technical, there is not any real reason - except to, possibly, link someone who is posting from multiple different accounts.
Слaва
Украинi

Uli LH

After I had banned two members after sustained destructive behavior, I observed the IPs to find out wether they registered again with a fake identiy - and one of them did indeed.

And since long in our forum it is forbidedn to register with two accounts, which was controlled by IP automatically.

But you are right: In 2019 any experienced user is of course able to hide his real IP and ID (he was not!) ;-) And in times of EU-DSGVO showing IPs is getting a further problem anyway.

Advertisement: