supernova777

how can i enable searches that include single digits such as
"Terminator 2" "Superman 3"
these searches are unable to execute..
how can i enable?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Quote from: supernova777

I thought search terms enclosed in quote marks counted as a single word...?

lurkalot

Quote from: Shambles on February 26, 2016, 02:36:37 AM
Quote from: supernova777

I thought search terms enclosed in quote marks counted as a single word...?

Phrase search - use double quotes (") around your term ("search term") to search for the search term as a phrase instead of individual words. http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Search

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

supernova777

is there any reason why i shouldnt edit the php files to allow searches of single character terms?

Steve

Probably, if you want your search to return a gazillion results.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

And even then there is a 2/3 chance it wouldn't work anyway.

Siirist

Hi,

Just tossing in a thought.

If I was not able to get the suggestions to solve the issue, I would have the posts or those who post spell out the numbers, such as Superman One, Terminator Two, etc.

Just a thought, but if you already have a bunch of posts as Superman 1 or Terminator 2, I hope the suggestions solve the issue.

Best Wishes,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Dwev

I'm interested in this, because i'm running an Apple forum, so lots of searches are done for for instance "iPhone X" or "iPhone 8".

For the moment I added the explanation that people should use double quotes around the search term, but I would prefer to just have it work without explaining anything.

So can someone tell me what edit, and in which php-files, should be done to make one-chrachter searches possible?

Steve

Again, if you allow that, anyone searching for the letter e will get almost every post returned as a result.
DO NOT pm me for support!

digger

Quote from: Dwev on December 03, 2017, 08:03:37 AM
I'm interested in this, because i'm running an Apple forum, so lots of searches are done for for instance "iPhone X" or "iPhone 8".

For the moment I added the explanation that people should use double quotes around the search term, but I would prefer to just have it work without explaining anything.

So can someone tell me what edit, and in which php-files, should be done to make one-chrachter searches possible?
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2648

Dwev

Quote from: Steve on December 03, 2017, 08:13:45 AM
Again, if you allow that, anyone searching for the letter e will get almost every post returned as a result.

I know, but how many people search for one letter?
And everyone who does execute a search with just one letter probably won't do it twice...   ;)

Quote from: digger on December 03, 2017, 12:21:38 PM
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2648

Thanks, I saw that mod earlier. But since it listed version 2.0.8 as the latest that it would work with I presumed it was too old and wouldn't work on my forum (which runs 2.0.14 right now).

After you advised it I tried it anyway, and it works without a hitch on 2.0.14!  :)

Kindred

You need to upgrade to 2.0.15 very soon, it is a security update and should be applied as soon as possible
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: