SMF Development > Feature Requests

SMF Vs. Fancy 'Modern' BB software like Vanilla, NodeBB

(1/3) > >>

Raion@BV:
https://vanillaforums.org/

https://nodebb.org/

So there's all these fancy new forum software suites out these days, with shiny things and cool gadgets, like really huge avatars, Gravatars, immediate post-to-social-network functions, integrated Mobile software that conforms entirely with the Desktop software, etc etc,.

Personally, I prefer the old way of doing things, instead of all these unnecessary doodads, big buttons, and making everything look like an iOs or Android app, since I started using the Internet in the 1990's with a desktop computer, and continue to use a standard desktop with peripherals and a separate monitor, but I digress. 

Is the next SMF roadmap going to include all kinds of fancy, gee-whiz, shiny things like Vanilla and NodeBB?  Will there be a mobile version by default? Are the buttons going to be huge?  Will all the text be gigantic and brightly colored? 

Kindred:
you can see the stuff discussing the 2.1 version in several places, including the team blogs, announcements and github

personally, I dislike the Vanilla design rather intensely...

While 2.1 has a new default theme which is responsive, there are no huge shiny text changes...   of course, everything that you mention is possible in SMF with mods or custom themes. :D

Antes:
I personally like Curve2 as is... But surely I have plans to make themes like Reddit (simple discussion based). Curve2 is more "forum" centric which (its my opinion) more community not just discussion.

Raion@BV:

--- Quote from: Kindred on February 26, 2016, 02:22:01 PM ---you can see the stuff discussing the 2.1 version in several places, including the team blogs, announcements and github

personally, I dislike the Vanilla design rather intensely...

While 2.1 has a new default theme which is responsive, there are no huge shiny text changes...   of course, everything that you mention is possible in SMF with mods or custom themes. :D

--- End quote ---

Yes, you can make your SMF installation look like Vanilla or NodeBB with extensions and modifications, which, I think, is very cool, and one of the high points of using this software..  We've been getting a lot of traffic from mobile users, so I was going to implement a mobile solution like Tapatalk or so on eventually, but I was wondering if you guys are going to do a default Mobile interface in the future.

I'll be frank: I hate both of them, NodeBB AND Vanilla.

I hate a lot of the 'New Internet' design theory that is mobile-centric.  You can see it with large corporate sites like TIME and so on, all the HUGE BUTTONS, bright flashy colors, big fonts... 

As I said, everything doesn't have to look like I'm using a mobile device.  While it's nice to have when I'm on a phone, or a tablet, it's awkward and ugly and looks like Playskool toys on my desktop.

vbgamer45:

--- Quote ---
As I said, everything doesn't have to look like I'm using a mobile device.  While it's nice to have when I'm on a phone, or a tablet, it's awkward and ugly and looks like Playskool toys on my desktop.

--- End quote ---
I agree a lot of the interface is dumbed down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version