News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Htaccess Access Files

Started by Sigyn, February 29, 2016, 06:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigyn

My forum has been having issues with Russian spammers as of late so I attempted to write an htaccess file to block the Russian Federation from my forum. My question now is what do I name it, and where do I put it for it to work?

Right now I have it named htaccess.txt and it's placed in the Forum1 of my FTP. Is this the right place for it to be?

Kindred

it must be named .htaccess (if you are on a linux/apache server) and you can have one in every directory if you so choose.  To affect your whole site, however, it should be sitting in your site root.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sigyn

Apologies if this is a silly question but which file, exactly, is the root? I assumed the root file to be the same one that holds the forums index.php file. Is that incorrect?

*EDIT*
I found where it belonged by chance, as there was an empty .htaccess file there that I simply overwrote. Thank you very much!

Steve

Marking solved then. If you find you're still having issues with this by all means mark this unsolved and ask your question(s). :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: