News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Problem: Newsletters are sent to Admins only

Started by oglitsch, February 28, 2016, 05:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oglitsch

When trying to send a newsletter to all users, only the administrators get an e-mail - none of the normal users ever get an e-mail.  No errors appear on the log. I tried to send newsletters using PHP as well as a valid and working SMTP server.

However, the e-mail for registration confirmation to new users works fine.

Has anybody an idea what is going wrong?

margarett

Hi and welcome ;)

Are you sure you're selecting the proper membergroups in the first screen of the newsletter?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

oglitsch

Hi, and thanks for the nice welcome :)

I just tried again to send a newsletter to users only - nothing happens.

To be precise: If I select all membergroups (as set by default), the mail reaches all recipients. As soon as I deselect any of the membergroups the newsletter is not sent (no confirmation message).

I hope this information helps...

margarett

That's really odd. Can you please attach your Sources/ManageNews.php?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

oglitsch

I just wanted to download the requested file and realize to my horror that all data have disappeared! All my three domains are offline and the server is empty. Now I have to check first with my provider what happened - I will come back to this issue as soon as the forum is online again.

oglitsch

Ok, my system is up and running again. But SMF shows me the message "Performance Warning! The cache directory is not writable". No idea what has been messed up during the harddisk crash...

Anyway: Attached please find the requested file ManageNews.php. I am wondering whether you can find any anomaly there...

Thanks a lot for your endeavour :)

margarett

The file is untouched so there is no problem in it.
Does the issue still happens?

Quote from: oglitsch on March 01, 2016, 05:13:03 PM
SMF shows me the message "Performance Warning! The cache directory is not writable"
Just make sure that the "cache" folder has enough permissions. Check with your host if unsure.

Colin

Quote from: oglitsch on March 01, 2016, 05:13:03 PM
Ok, my system is up and running again. But SMF shows me the message "Performance Warning! The cache directory is not writable". No idea what has been messed up during the harddisk crash...

Have a peek here if you are still having issues with the directory/file permissions:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Chmod
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

oglitsch

Thanks for this tip. I checked the permissions of the directory Cache and their files. They are correctly set to 755 and 644 respectively.

margarett

And it still triggers that warning? If so, you need to check that the owner of the folder is the same user in which PHP runs.
Also note that in SMF the folder is "cache" (small c, not capital C) and that makes a difference.

Colin

Strangeness, sometimes 755 still doesn't do it on some web servers. 777 may do the trick.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

oglitsch

According to my provider the access rights will recover after the full restore is completed. So I think (or hope...) this problem is solved.

But the other problem regarding newsletter sending to normal users still remains. Since the first installation of SMF I was never able to send newsletter to users alone.

margarett

I have no idea, I can't reproduce this. ManageNews is unedited, maybe you can attach ManageNews.template.php?
Can you printscreen your membergoups selection screen when it doesn't work?

oglitsch

Here are the requested files.

Thanks for taking your time to help me :)

margarett

I think I see your problem actually... Let me see if I can reproduce it with you. Your file is fine.

a) How many users do you have in total?
b) How many users have Administrator as Primary membergroup
c) How many users have Administrator as additional membergroup (eg, not as Primary)

oglitsch

Because I am still in test phase I have only the following users:

a) 4 in total
b) 2 are Administrators

and 2 are normal users.

See attached screenshots.

To be honest: I don't know the difference between Administrator as Primary or additional membergroup... I just assigned admin rights to a second user.

margarett

OK, can you please printscreen your "Newsletters" initial screen? The one where you choose which membergroups to send it to ;)

oglitsch

Hi Margarett

Did my last screenshot help you find out what could going wrong in my installation?

Thanks for any help :)

Advertisement: