Post moderation not working

Started by wtbwtb, March 04, 2016, 09:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtbwtb

Hi All.

Our Post Moderation is not working for all new members.  We require any new member with less than 2 posts have their posts pre-moderated. 

For some reason it is working for regular Joe from Chicago but it is not working for Boris the spammer from Russia.  Boris is able to post while Joe needs to have his first 2 posts pre-moderated.

We are running 2.0.11.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kindred

1- first thought...   you have permissions incorrectly set
2- second thought... you are using tapatalk?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wtbwtb

Thanks for the reply Kindred.

We are not using tapatalk. 

I've spent the morning looking over the permissions and cannot figure out why some new members end up needing pre-moderation and some don't.  I will keep looking at it.

Thanks again.

Illori

which users should be under post moderation? some details as to what you want to happen will let us tell you how it should be setup so you can check if you did it correctly.

wtbwtb

Thanks Illori.

In Members-Post Moderation I have:
Guests set to "Cannot create" anything
Newbie set to "Can create but requires approval"
All other member groups(Junior Member and up) "Can create" anything

Newbie requires zero posts
Junior Member requires 2 posts

Kindred

ah.. but what are the settings for the "regular member" group?

Remember -- SMF uses an INCLUSIVE permissions system.
if *ANY* group that the user belongs to has a permission set to ALLOWED, then that user can do the action regardless of what other groups may be set to DISALLOW.

(the exception to this is the DENY permissions, which becomes EXCLUSIVE)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wtbwtb

Regular Members is set to "Can create".  Should I change this to "Can create but requires approval"?

Kindred

Why not just set both of the regular member permissions to disallow and let the post-count based groups handle what is allowed and not.

Also -- if you are using this as a spam-trap ---   there are better ways. Primarily, prevent the spammers from ever registering in the first place.

read this:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

on all of my sites, we have not had an issue with spammers (other than one or two) for years
Слaва
Украинi

wtbwtb

Advertisement: