Smarty Template Engine

Started by Erdal1, March 06, 2016, 05:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erdal1

smf should change to Smarty Template Engine
for design is better
Bizim Dünyamiz - ELEKTRONIK SIGARA HAKKINDA BÜTÜN BILGILI KONULAR

Illori

i really doubt that will ever happen. we want to keep the package lite and not add too many dependencies on others.

Kindred

and, personally, I disagree...  I don't like the smarty template engine stuff...   :P

but Illori's comment is the main point.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

engrz

Quote from: Illori on March 06, 2016, 05:47:56 AM
i really doubt that will ever happen. we want to keep the package lite and not add too many dependencies on others.

very happy to hear that you don't want to depend on others, because in many countries there are many sites that are blocked, like here in china google is also blocked, so the websites using google analytic or other services are continuously loading. so im happy that SMF is not depending on others.

asmith

For about two years I worked for a web developing company which used an OOP MVC framework using Smarty as its HTML template engine.
To this day, I still see Smarty as an unnecessary overhead. One of the main jobs of Smarty is to enforce separation of logic and display code. SMF already separates logic (Source) from display-code (Template). Putting that aside there are rare cases where Smarty comes in handy.

A quote from the very first days of the job I was learning Smarty:

Quoteme: this works with smarty? {for $i = 0; $i < $total; $i++}
Boss: {section name=foo loop=9}
{$smarty.section.foo.iteration}
{/section}
me: didn't get it
Boss: http://www.smarty.net/docsv2/en/language.function.section.tpl
me: lol smarty managed to make it more complicated xDD
Boss: Yeah lol

Advertisement: