Database requires an upgrade

Started by pete.thomas1962, March 08, 2016, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete.thomas1962

Hi all, apologies for slow responses - different time zones (UK).

thanks for your advice. I put the file in the correct folder, ran the link, checked and saved the settings and then deleted the repair_settings.php file from the directory. Unfortunately it showed that everything was pointing to the correct place but when I click on the forum's URL, it still isn't picking up the MySQL database.

I think the database is ok because it is still the same size as before the changes (5GB) and I also ran MySQL "Check a database" which came back with "OK". I have a full backup in case the database is unusable.

Kindred, with regard to the upgrade/install mixup, I'm not sure how but I misread your first post and took "full upgrade" to mean install (I'm feeling very stupid now :))

Am I missing something? Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

shred

Hi All,

I am trying to help this group out but would like some advice prior to carrying out any changes.

We have a full back up (made prior to the new SMF install) of the old forum database which is now in the group's website directory. We have asked Lunerpages to create a new MySQL database using the backup and to name the database ****48_smfnew. The SMF currently is looking at ****48_smf1. When Lunerpages let us know that the old database is available I am presuming that pointing the SMF to the ****48_smfnew database using the repair_settings will bring the forum back up.

Or is there more to this? For example would following the instructions given on another part of the forum help? http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=400356.0

Thank you all for your time and patience.

Sir Osis of Liver

The forum was, at an earlier point, connected to a scratch database.  All you need to do is import the db backup into the scratch db, and your content should be restored.  Can't tell where it's at presently, as you're in maintenance mode.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shred

Thank you for the response Sir Osis of Liver(enough Bud will do that to you, but what a way to go)

We have taken the forum out of maintenance.

Current settings:

MySQL database on the server:

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, the good news is, your forum is up and running with a scratch database.  The bad news is, it's still not connected to your production database.  If you can pm access to your Lunarpages account, I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

shred

Sir Osis,

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

PM on its way to you.

Sir Osis of Liver

Uh, oh.  Don't suppose you have a good database backup from before you started changing things?  The db your forum is connected to, thema48_smf1, contains two sets of tables, both of which contain data.  The smf1 tables appear to be your current db, contains approx 800 members (mostly bots), the messages and topics tables are empty (didn't check the rest).  That's what you're currently connected to.  The other set of tables, smf_ , contains just over 3000 members, a populated messages table, almost 17 million logged errors (the db is mostly errors), will not run when connected to forum.  Settings table shows it at 2.0, but it errors like 1.1.x. 

Since I don't know what you and/or your host have done up this point, it's difficult to guess what went wrong, but your db is not useable.  Looked around your account and don't see anything that looks like a db backup.  As per your pm, host told you this -

Also, the backup provided backup-2.13.2016_03-01-04_thema48.tar.gz contains a full copy of your hosting account. You need to inform us the exact files/databases which need to be restored from the backup.

The cpanel backup feature creates a zip that's downloaded to your local computer, but apparently does not save a copy online.  If it's a complete account backup, it should include backups of all your databases.  You'll have to ask Lunarpages if they have a backup of thema48_smf1, and if they can restore it. 

- R. Waters

shred

Doesn't sound good.

I thought that the backup shown here under would contain the database

I downloaded a backup of the actual SQL database on the 7th March prior to any changes. I am uploading the file now.

I cannot thank you enough for giving your time to help, but for now Thank You!

shred

Sir Osis,

Upload complete. File can be found under "Database Backup".

Sir Osis of Liver

Will have a look tonight.  How did you make the backup?

- R. Waters

shred

Good Evening Sir Osis,

CPanel>backups and click on the database. Downloaded as a .gz file.

Cheers.

Sir Osis of Liver

You'll have to ask your host to import the backup.  The cpanel backup feature won't do it, it's too big for phpmyadmin, even tried BigDump, but it chokes on the 4.9gb _log_errors table.  Ask them to import it into thema48_smf20.  It's a new, clean db, and forum is connected to it.

I removed several sets of install and upgrade files from various SMF installs.  It's a major security risk to leave them on your server.  If this backup is good and import works, we'll have a little chat about forum maintenance and security.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Sir osis...I can't do it, because I don't have access to my pc for a few days... But you could do what Margarett usually does...   Import the database to a local install and then truncate the error log table. That should make it importable to the server
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shred

Guys,

Many thanks for continued support with this. We have raised a ticket asking Lunarpages to import the backup to thema48_smf20.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on March 16, 2016, 11:12:43 PM
Import the database to a local install and then truncate the error log table.

Yeah, did that with the last one, but my host usually doesn't allow 5gb databases, and it's a crapshoot whether I can talk them into doing it again.  If Lunarpages can't do the import, I'll give it a shot.

- R. Waters

Kindred

oh, I was talking real local (in WAMPP)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Crap, it's borked.  They did the import and it's erroring out.  Will have a look soon as I finish my rounds.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

That's a 1.1.4 database, last message was posted Tue, 01 Mar 2016 16:16:42 GMT, last error was logged Tue, 01 Mar 2016 18:56:27 GMT.  Is it reasonable to assume that this was your production database in a 1.1.4 install, backed up before any attempt was made to upgrade the forum?  It's nothing at all like the thema48_smf1 database that was connected to your 2.0 install.

- R. Waters

shred

Sir Osis,

I am unsure as to what version the original install was done under. The backup was done prior to any attempts to install new version.

I have checked with one of the forum admins and the date of the last post is correct, also number of members tallies with your approx. 3000 as mentioned in one of your previous posts.

Sorry for short response, only have my phone to hand at the moment.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, got it running here.  Emptied the error log and backed up the database.  Need to know if the content is all there - members, posts, etc., up to the point where the wheels came off.  The database appears to be intact and current up to 1 March 2016.  Kick it around, look at everything.  If you're satisfied that this is what you started out with, I will upgrade it to 1.1.21, then 2.0.11.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: