getting kicked out when joining a forum

Started by twt_thunder, March 13, 2016, 11:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twt_thunder

Hey, our forum ha run fine for 2 years now.. updated stuff along the way and have the latest when it comes...
now the 2 3 latest days it seems like we're getting kicked out when we joining forums so we cant reply and on private forums gets logged out..
any Idea how to fix this problem?

the site:
thewolfteam.org/forum

DNC

Hello , your forums is in maintenance mode can you not turn it off so people can investigate the issue ?

twt_thunder

used the repair_settings.php from your site and removed hooks and everything and forum runs now...
problem I got now is the package manager... Cant install any mods..
Should have the mention mod but it wont work.. getting kicked out everytime I push install...

its not in maintenance now btw...

DNC

Quote from: twt_thunder on March 13, 2016, 01:33:32 PM
used the repair_settings.php from your site and removed hooks and everything and forum runs now...
problem I got now is the package manager... Cant install any mods..
Should have the mention mod but it wont work.. getting kicked out everytime I push install...

its not in maintenance now btw...

Thats not my site its SMF's , it was just a link to the repair file .

Hmm it sounds odd , have you tried connecting using another IP ?

twt_thunder

no I havent.. and I dont think I can before tomorrow...

DNC

Quote from: twt_thunder on March 13, 2016, 01:50:21 PM
no I havent.. and I dont think I can before tomorrow...

Use the tor network it changes your IP for free :)

twt_thunder

Never mind, I will just reinstall whole smf with same database and tables and ******... Probably will fix it :)

Kindred

Actually, it probably won't.... If your only issue is the package manager ---   then there's a good chance that your HOST is the problem
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

twt_thunder

You are correct, but what could they have been doing. It worked before

Kindred

it could be a lot of things...

mod_security is the mod common cause...
but changes to the hosting configruation can have unintended results - especially when the host doesn't warn you that changes have been made
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

twt_thunder

so what do you suggest I do, I've been on the server but I cant see anything changed in my directories. Also checked database thru phpadmin ... couldnt find anything fishy...

Kindred

as I said - it is typically a host configuration issue - and only the host can see/address it, much of the time
Слaва
Украинi

twt_thunder

well I contacted them on a support ticket and asked if they have done any recent changes.. So will just wait and see

twt_thunder

dont get an answear on this.. is there any workaround?

twt_thunder

did the phpinfo file thing and checked.. there is no mod security on at all and package manager doesnt work.. still get kicked out...

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on March 14, 2016, 03:07:55 PM
as I said - it is typically a host configuration issue - and only the host can see/address it, much of the time
Слaва
Украинi

twt_thunder

still getting kicked out of login with mod_security disabled....

Kindred

I think that we have a breakdown in communication here.

What EXACTLY do you mean by "kicked out"
what SPECIFIC action are you referring to by "joining a forum"?

How do you know that mod_security is disabled?

Can you provide us with a test login?
Слaва
Украинi

twt_thunder

well Kinred, I have fixed the forum issue, and I contacted my host by chat and they disabled the mod_security, my problem atm is the package manager. Everytime I try to install something I get logged out.

twt_thunder

its something with sessions, thats all I can say.
When I delete cookies and history in browser and then log in I am able to install one mod.. when trying on second mod I get logged out and have to again delete the history and cookies in browser

Kindred

I am fairly certain this is yet another host issue... potentially even still mod_securiry, even if they CLAIM  to have disabled it
Слaва
Украинi

OCJ

Worth searching on the web. This came up on the first page results about login and ip being blocked and I wasn't even searching for it (search term; Joomla mod security problem).
I was just seeing whether other open source projects were affected by mod_security as much as SMF. I had several problems with the forum.

https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/support/forum/false-positives-in-apache-modsecurity-denied-access-to-the-site

My host told me they had 'adjusted the rules' for Mod Security. I'm sure they wont switch it off as it is useful for them.

Illori

then maybe time to look for a new host that does not use mod_security if your current host will not meet your requests/needs.

Advertisement: