News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 and MSQLite

Started by indigious, April 09, 2016, 03:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indigious

Please, make an SQLite support in the next Beta or Finale release!!!

Illori

it was removed. it will not be added back.

青山 素子

Quote from: indigious on April 09, 2016, 03:35:14 PM

As Illori said, it probably won't be back. There were a lot of limitations that SMF had run into with supporting SQLite, and very few people in the community made use of a feature that required extensive work to maintain.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

indigious

Quote from: 青山 素子 on April 10, 2016, 01:39:45 AM
Quote from: indigious on April 09, 2016, 03:35:14 PM
As Illori said, it probably won't be back. There were a lot of limitations that SMF had run into with supporting SQLite, and very few people in the community made use of a feature that required extensive work to maintain.
Oh... I thought, that SQLite and MySQL have almost the same functionality according to needs of the SM engine... OK, if the price for SQLite is "a lot of limitations", then I resign this fact as inevitable :)

Frankly, I'm only interested in the new good-looking theme of SMF 2.1, so, if it'd be possible to make SMF 2.0 look like 2.1, I would be extremely happy! :laugh:

P.S. Please, remove this anti-spam picture, because it is a HUGE problem to enter this symbols correctly!

Steve

Quote from: indigious on April 10, 2016, 05:54:31 AMP.S. Please, remove this anti-spam picture, because it is a HUGE problem to enter this symbols correctly!

That's not going to happen either. It's a spam-prevention measure and it will go away after you've made a certain amount of legitimate posts. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

indigious

Quote from: Steve on April 10, 2016, 08:09:35 AM
It's a spam-prevention measure and it will go away after you've made a certain amount of legitimate posts. :)
I understand that! But it would be very super if people can clearly see (understand) what to enter! For example, you can put something like "9+x=12. Please, enter x" or use Google's reCAPTCHA! But it's you to decide...

P.S. Thanx for this amazing forum! It's the best one! (I tried 8 different forums).

青山 素子

Quote from: indigious on April 10, 2016, 05:54:31 AM
OK, if the price for SQLite is "a lot of limitations", then I resign this fact as inevitable :)

The price is more "a lot of work". There's a reason for the "lite" in the name.

Quote from: indigious on April 10, 2016, 08:37:50 AM
or use Google's reCAPTCHA!

Their newest iteration has been recently broken by spammers. While useful, it's not a good solo solution, unfortunately. Because of the various language boards and the fact that many of our visitors don't know English, we can't handle the question/answer system as it only supports one language (currently).
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

nend

Just like the name it is great for light usage, you do anything more with it then your begging for trouble. Slow queries with big databases and if you corrupt the database it isn't so easily recoverable.

This is because the nature of the system, SQLite stores it's data in a flat file. While there is memory driven options for SQLite it's still not appropriate for large databases due to the resources needed.

However if you need a small database solution, SQLite is king.

Before 2.1 there was a discussion on Github about future support, but after lengthy deliberation it was decided it was in best interest to drop support. So it was considered.

indigious

Quote from: nend on April 10, 2016, 02:59:16 PM
Just like the name it is great for light usage, you do anything more with it then your begging for trouble. Slow queries with big databases and if you corrupt the database it isn't so easily recoverable.

This is because the nature of the system, SQLite stores it's data in a flat file. While there is memory driven options for SQLite it's still not appropriate for large databases due to the resources needed.
SQLite4 with LSM looks pretty good, but is completely unsupported by 'mainstream'.
Nevertheless, the latest versions of SQLite3 (since 3.8.2) also seems to be very hopeful.
I mean WITHOUT ROWID Optimization and Write-Ahead Logging.
It seem to be more than enough even for 500 MB database and also looks pretty reliable.

青山 素子

Quote from: indigious on April 10, 2016, 05:28:56 PM
It seem to be more than enough even for 500 MB database and also looks pretty reliable.

I can easily corrupt a SQLite database with a PHP script I've been poking at. Memory usage hits the limit in PHP, and the db gets corrupted. Only way to fix is to restore from a backup. This is with a 94 megabyte database and the script is a little crazy (something like a 2000x2000 two-dimensional array in PHP) to hit that memory limit, but it does demonstrate that it's often not the DB engine but simply just the process container exiting abnormally that will cause total data loss. Generally when something like MySQL (or even PostgreSQL) crashes, you can recover most things.
Motoko-chan

indigious

Quote from: 青山 素子 on April 11, 2016, 12:57:14 AM
I can easily corrupt a SQLite database with a PHP script I've been poking at.
Sure, MySQL is more reliable than SQLite, and there is only one or two cases when to use SQLite - when portability is needed and if MySQL (or any other net-DB) is not available and can not be used/installed. In my case net-DB can not be used. (There is also the third case - when speed/performance is crucial, but not for me).

So, now using SMF 2.0.11 with SQLite3 mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3448

Also SQLite3 Wrapper may be needed: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=483878.0

Illori

we know mods are available for SMF 2.0, we will not be adding sqlite support back to SMF 2.1 between converting to sqlite3 and other issues related to actually getting it running correctly it is not worth our developers time.

indigious

Quote from: Illori on April 14, 2016, 08:19:18 AM
we know mods are available for SMF 2.0, we will not be adding sqlite support back to SMF 2.1 between converting to sqlite3 and other issues related to actually getting it running correctly it is not worth our developers time.
OK, no problem. I'm using SM 2.0.11 with SQLite3 mod, as I said.

Advertisement: