No menu, can't access admin, and getting can't open error.php

Started by samouw, June 04, 2016, 12:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samouw

Can anyone look at this and tell me what is going on and how to fix it?

http://ameraucanaforum.org/forum/ [nofollow]

Sir Osis of Liver

Looks like you installed a 1.1.x theme on a 2.0.x forum.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Looks like it. If you want to get into admin, use this: http://ameraucanaforum.org/forum/index.php?action=admin

Also, if you allow users to select the default SMF theme, you will always be able to select it yourself in the event that you bork your custom theme. Like now. ;)

http://ameraucanaforum.org/forum/index.php?theme=1

Which won't work at the moment, because apparently you have disabled selection of the default theme in admin.

samouw

As far as I know, the default template isn't disabled, or any portion of it, but I inherited this from a previous administrator and there is no telling what he did.

This theme was working prior to the move - same version of smf and it was working briefly yesterday.  I was changing the theme directories when it got hosed, now I can't get back in to change it back.

I get an error when I try to click on any menu item, when I go to the second link, to set the theme to 1.

Are the paths to the theme directories in the database or in another file?  Is there a way to just change that back?

I've already re-uploaded the software, so I'm thinking those paths must be stored in the database - anyone know what table?  I can go in with Myphp and fix it.

samouw

At this point, I'm ready to pay someone to just get the forum back up and running...

Any recommendations?

Kindred

well, that would be the problem.

Why were you changing directories?
You should never need to do that.

use repair_settings.php to reset the directories to the correct locations
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

samouw

Because the theme directories were still pointing to the old domain

samouw

Quick question - are the user id and password encrypted in the Settings.php file?  Because if they aren't, what is in Settings.php and what is shown in the account at our hosting site are different.

Kindred

well, that would also be a problem.

Use Repair_settings.php

(and yes...  moving servers is the one instance where changing directories is appropriate.... but do the changes with repair_settings.php -- that's what it is for!)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

samouw

Ok, we're back up and linking to the database.

At the top of the page, there is a link to the old domain...how/where do I change that to the new?

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/forum/index.php [nofollow]

Illori

maybe in admin -> current theme? if not there then in your themes index.template.php.

samouw

I changed it in the index template.php file for the curves theme and the default theme...still doesn't work.

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Grammy

Isn't that just something the previous admin placed in the "News" feature?   ???

(Sorry to butt in.)

Sir Osis of Liver

If that's what OP is referring to, it can be changed in Admin -> News and Newsletters

- R. Waters

Grammy

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 04, 2016, 04:19:25 PM
If that's what OP is referring to, it can be changed in Admin -> News and Newsletters

I think it must be; it doesn't look much different than the News on this site's upper right, other than the content.   :)

samouw

Well, that's kinda what I was figuring, but I don't see a News option under Admin.

Can I access it without going through a menu?

Grammy

index.php?action=admin;area=news

So...  yourforum.com/index.php?action=admin;area=news

Or, click the "Main" tab in Admin, to see it. 

(Hopefully, it helps.)

EDIT:  Just mentioning, sometimes things can look hidden in Admin and, if that happens, look over on the right and see if you see two triangles together, pointing to the left.  If you do, click those, and it will change the way the page renders.   :)

samouw

That worked!  thank you

ameraucanaforum.org/forum is the old site and will be going down next week

ameraucanabreedersclub.org is the website that links to

ameraucanabreedersclub.org/forum

Grammy

Quote from: samouw on June 04, 2016, 05:18:48 PM
That worked!  thank you

ameraucanaforum.org/forum is the old site and will be going down next week

ameraucanabreedersclub.org is the website that links to

ameraucanabreedersclub.org/forum

Yippee!!   :D