Feature request: Create static archive for old posts

Started by forumside, June 06, 2016, 07:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forumside

I would want to have such feature, that forum admin will be able to create static archive with html files converted from old posts and these old posts will be deleted from database.
This will help a lot for large forums to prevent server cpu overload doing slow mysql queries.
May be such mod already exists?

Kindred

no....  I am fairly such a mod does not exist....   and, if it did, it would be rather pointless...   

the point about database-served content is that the entire wrapper of the page is the same for all instances and only the CONTENT is variable.
To do what you are asking, the system would have to create THOUSANDS of individual web pages -- most of which would be identical. with only the post content changing between pages.

THAT would be a complete waste of server resources.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

forumside

I've see this feature installed on some big phpbb forums. It is not waste any resources for server is much easier to get static file rather then do mysql requests. And no need to store same content more then one time - it is exactly like in database - one post in database converted to one file.

Ok, no problem, if no one did it, I will be possible create it in the future.

Antechinus

vB does archives too, and I'm sure Xenforo would have something similar. I'm not sure how it's set up though. The idea is good in principle as it makes db backups for current topics a lot faster.

Kindred

It would mean, however, that a database backup would no longer be a restore of your site...

Basically, in practice, I would consider this a particularly bad idea.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

It also means that you back up the archives and stash that away, since it will never need backing up again, then you only have to back up current topics weekly/daily/whatever. Then if you ever need to restore the whole site you will have the relevant files available. No problem.

Kindred

Thing is... I don't see any kind of slowdown with over 2 million posts... So - while I can see the potential point of this, if the system actually did slow down with huge numbers of posts, I do not actually see this as anything that any normal site would ever actually need...   Unless you are talking about this site or warirorcats
Слaва
Украинi

Antechinus

IMO the best thing about it is that it makes db backups and restores far less resource-intensive, which can be an advantage for a lot of people.

Advertisement: