News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Download Database Is Dumping Into Browser Window

Started by archiebald, June 12, 2016, 07:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archiebald

Running fully updated SMF 2.0.11 in English & Japanese on a dedicated server under Windows 2008 with IIS 7, PHP 5.6 and MySQL 5.6
Mods are;
Message Preview On Hover 1.8
SMF Notify Group 2.2
Ohara Youtube Embed 1.0
Spoiler Tag 0.7.2a
Tiny Portal 1.107
Users Online Today 2.0.2
I am running the default theme.

Forum is running fine, very rarely get any error reports in the log.

Just recently while trying to download a backup of the database, the file does not download but after 15 seconds or so, the whole file opens as a text file in my browser window.  If I enable Gzip, the same thing happens except that the test is scrambled to unrecognizable characters.  Same thing is happening in 3 separate browsers, Firefox, Chrome and IE.

I had this happening a couple of years before but cannot for the life of me remember the fix.  Any clues?

Kindred

That usually has to do with you you have your browser set up...  However...  You should not be using the internal database backup function anyway. Use the host-side or phpmyadmin backup functionality.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

archiebald

Forgive me for being an old stick in the mud, but why would you say this?  "You should not be using the internal database backup function anyway"  And I'm asking in terms of;
a) If what you say is the conventional wisdom, then why is it there?
b) Would appreciate if you can explain the potential harm in using it?

Also, while I agree that individual browsers can have their own issues, I took the effort to try it on three different browsers and the same issue occurs - so what could I have possibly done to cause the issue.  My Firefox setup has many add-ons, but IE and Chrome are straight out of the box since I don't use them except for the odd page that doesn't like Firefox.

Since this is a dedicated server, we don't have any host-side software such as cPanel setup.  I generally access via RDP and zip the database then ftp it back home, but I want a more simple method that I can hand over to a an assistant who has even less knowledge of the server than I do.

Not trying to be difficult here, just trying to understand.

Illori

the backup in the admin panel is known to give users an incomplete backup and there is nothing to tell them that it is not complete, so we dont recommend its use.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup

Kindred

as for "why is it there"...    as of the next version (2.1), it is no longer there....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

archiebald

Illori,
Thanks - I had never seen that before.

Kindred,
Okay - cool thanks.

Advertisement: