Is it possible to use the Datbase of an existing Forum for a new one

Started by Aye Aye, June 18, 2016, 06:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aye Aye

One of Forums has become a tad bit unwieldy.

I prefer a Home Page that doesn't require scrolling.

I am looking to split my Forum into at least two Forums, maybe more.

I plan to simple create a notional board in existing Forum and redirect folks to the new Forum via that Board.

I do do want to use the Tiny Portal or some such other mod.

Kindly advise.

Kindred

depends what you actually mean...

yes  you can move your existing forum to a new location...   so, duplicate the database and then correct all of the paths.

However, what it sounds like is that you actually want to separate th various categories/boards to different sites....

in that case, what yu have described is actually not simple and probably not the best way to do things.
1 - if you have that many boards, that your board index requires a huge amount of scrolling.... maybe you should consider merging or deleting some boards.  Are ALL of those boards actually getting used?
2- If you insist on keeping all of the boards, then the "split forum mod" is probably your best bet.
It takes a SINGLE database... and allows you to split the boards across multiple "sites/domains", so that boards 1,2,5 get displayed on domain A, boards 4,6,9 get displayed on subdomain B, boards 7,8,10 get displayed on subdomain C and so on...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aye Aye

Goes like this:

I have board "A" on my present Forum.

This board has half a dozen child boards "B, C, D, E, F"  and so on.

I set up a new Forum "AA" and transfer or upload the relevant files to it.

That done, I simply create a board "A1" and place a link on it to the new Forum "AA".

The result will be a cleaner, easy to navigate Home Page.

All this is hypothetical right now; but I am right now in the process of trying it hands on.

Tapped y'all to get expert opinion.

Thanks for the response.

Kindred

yeah... that's what I thought.

what you are trying to do is complicated and won't turn out nearly as well as you think.

See the split forum mod.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3730
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aye Aye

^

Sir jee, I installed that Mod in my Forum way back in October 2015, and it wrecked my Forum, beyond repair. I had to recreate the Forum right from the drawing board.

Kindred

then you must have done something very very wrong... because dozens, if not more, use that mod without any issues.

As for recreating the forum...   did you take a backup before installing the mod?   If not, shame on you... ALWAYS take a backup of the files AND the database before making any major modification...  actually, before making ANY modification.

Regarding what you are trying to do...   even side from it being a fairly complicated and time consuming procedure to do it that way tyou describe... you are likely to have major issues, because the separate forums won't be in sync. Users might have one setting on one "site" and another on a different one. They may end up with different passwords between "sites"
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: