Getting "Forbidden" Error while trying to install a new SMF Forum

Started by Aye Aye, June 18, 2016, 06:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aye Aye

Greetings:

I already have  functioning SMF Forums.

I use Win 10 Pro, fully updated. My host's servers are on Linux.

Earlier I used to set up Forums via the Softaculous installer. According my own experience with the Softaculous installer isn't a happy one. Kindred here and a couple of othersothers, advised that I should download the SMF 2.0.11 package, extract the files, and upload the files to my server via FTP.

This time I did exactly this.

After I had upload the files to the server, I keyed in the URL in my browser.

A Welcome page opened, with probably 8 steps in a checklist, and a form with a few fields in it.

Those fields asked for my FTP server hostname, Password, Port and Path.

I duly filled up the details as I do for routine FTP functionality.

The Path field was new here and I believe that caused the problem.

I received two error messages in Red.

One said that "With the combination of  details provided, the installation could not proceed."

The other message, in a smaller font size, stated that some file were not writable.

I changed the permissions pertaining to those files.

By that time, probably due to multiple tries, my host blocked the FTP process temporarily, and I began getting a "Forbidden" error.

This block usually last around three hours, and isn't a cause for worry.

The help I need is with the "Installation Path". What path should I give?

http://www.hostname.com/Forumname/index.php

or

http://hostname.com/Forumname/index.php

or

www.hostname.com/Forumname/index.php

or simply

/Forumname

All help will be appreciated.

Regards.

Kindred

As already explained in the other thread... I believe that you are going about this the wrong way to begin with.

However... please note that PATH -IS NOT EQUAL- to URL...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aye Aye

^

So, Uncle, what is it equal to?

If a country bumpkin like me could fathom this myself, Why would I ask?

Kindred

I have no idea... PATH is unique to your server...  sometimes /home/youruser/www/forum etc....

but, it's probably the relative path to the new directory from whatever location the base ftp login drops you in.

However, I repeat, again... what you are trying to do (install new forum(s)) is not the correct way to do what you want to accomplish.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aye Aye

^

Yeah. That SMF installer page that I mentioned in the OP also has a line under the PATH field which says something like "This path is relative to your Forum, with "relative" italicized, as I have done.

On aside, would the zip file self extract, (as most Mod files do when uploaded via Package Manager, only there wouldn't be a Package Manager in the Directory I would create for a new Forum) if I upload it to a directory in public_html?

I haven't been able to fathom what "relative" means here.

Kindred

what do you mean "self extract"?

The install archive requires you to extract it and run install.php in the location that the new forum is going to be in.

Relative means exactly what it says...   the path, relative to the location where your ftp login defaults to as the base directory.

Quite honestly, if you can't figure this out....   doing the multiple separate forums the way you seem to want is going to be a nightmare of complicated issue after issue for you.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: