Where do I change "posting" font face and font size?

Started by Siirist, July 12, 2016, 11:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hi,

The current font face on the forum is Veranda and the font size is at 9pt.

Is this changed in the Post.php? And if so, what line should I search for?

Thanks in advance.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

d3vcho

Hey!

You can avoid most of these questions by doing right click on the section you want to change anything, and clicking on: "Inspect Element".

This will display a window on your browser with some details of the code and the css. For example, I just clicked on a message to see what to change, and the class I should search for on index.css was .body. Try to do it by yourself :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Kindred

do note...   that would change the font-face for *ALL* text on the site, except where specifically, otherwise specified.

If you want the font in the post box to be different, you would have to ADD sub-level CSS to deal with the specific section you want to affect
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Kindred and d3vcho,

Thank you for your reply, yet they illustrated that I was to vague. I forgot that it is possible to change font face and size almost anywhere depending on what file is modified.

To clarify, I want to change the settings so that when any member posts (unless they change it) by default the font face will be trebuchet ms and the font size to 10pt.

This is a sample of how I would like the typical post to appear.

This is more difficult to read.

Thanks again.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Illori

do all your members agree on which size and font face to use? personally i think the one you suggest is harder to read then what is in use already.

Kindred

right...   so, I just told you what you have to do...   define the font-face for the posts by adding the font-face declaration to:

.post, .personalmessage {
}

in index.css
Слaва
Украинi

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on July 12, 2016, 01:21:16 PM
do all your members agree on which size and font face to use? personally i think the one you suggest is harder to read then what is in use already.

Illori,

It is a new forum. Thus, there are no members to agree, however, I am willing to accept criticism.   ;)

How about changing the font size from 9pt to 10pt like this?

"This is a sample of how I would like the typical post to appear."

Quote from: Kindred on July 12, 2016, 01:29:30 PM
right...   so, I just told you what you have to do...   define the font-face for the posts by adding the font-face declaration to:

}

in index.css

Hmmm, okay, will read up via ehow(dot)com.   :)

Thanks to you both.   :D

Be Well,
Siirist

EDIT: "Cannot find the text ".post, .personalmessage"
Thinking I need to go to "Help: Paid" board.
Needed information:

Kindred

your theme may differ.

In the default theme

Code (line 2085) Select

.post {
    clear: right;
    margin-top: 0.5em;
}

and
Code (line 545) Select

line-height: 1.4em;
    overflow: auto;
    padding: 0.1em 0;
}
Слaва
Украинi

Siirist

Kindred!!   Thank you soooooo much!   :D

Will give that a go, I was looking at the wrong file - index.php

Did this to the Themes/default/css/index.css
(line 544-551)
/* Posts and personal messages displayed throughout the forum. */
.post, .personalmessage
{
font-size: 12pt;
}

And this
(line 2082-2086)
.post
{
margin-top: 0.5em;
clear: right;
}

No change

*sigh*

Oh well, I have another problem that surface about a week ago when I installed a Mod, (I think it did something to the index.template.php) because it looks like the attachment in the Admin areas.

Willing to toss $ your way.  It's of course completely up to you if you want to take a look see.

Regardless of your choice, Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

br360

If you are using a custom theme, make sure to edit the index.css of that theme

Antechinus

Quote from: Siirist on July 12, 2016, 05:18:53 PM

(line 544-551)
.post, .personalmessage
{
}

No need to add the font-size in both places. This one is sufficient. But as br360 says, you need to do it in your custom theme's CSS.

QuoteOh well, I have another problem that surface about a week ago when I installed a Mod, (I think it did something to the index.template.php) because it looks like the attachment in the Admin areas.

Willing to toss $ your way.  It's of course completely up to you if you want to take a look see.

Siirist

That should be an easy fix. Which mod was it? Also, which theme are you using? I suspect something was coded for one of the 2.0 RC's, since I remember that bug from 2.0.x development days.

ETA: Found it. Check this out: RC4 themes used with RC5

Siirist

Quote from: Antechinus on July 12, 2016, 06:25:01 PM
Quote from: Siirist on July 12, 2016, 05:18:53 PM

(line 544-551)
.post, .personalmessage
{
}

No need to add the font-size in both places. This one is sufficient. But as br360 says, you need to do it in your custom theme's CSS.

QuoteOh well, I have another problem that surface about a week ago when I installed a Mod, (I think it did something to the index.template.php) because it looks like the attachment in the Admin areas.

Siirist

That should be an easy fix. Which mod was it? Also, which theme are you using? I suspect something was coded for one of the 2.0 RC's, since I remember that bug from 2.0.x development days.

ETA: Found it. Check this out: RC4 themes used with RC5

Antechinus,

Modification to Themes/Clarity/css/index.css
[code (lines 513-520]
.post, .personalmessage
{
}
[/code]

No change   :(
EDIT: It worked and has all posts on the forum now at the 10pt size.  SWEET!!!

PERFECT Solution for the big space on page!

I am beginning to think that having more than the default theme is a general p.i.t.a.
Modified both the Themes/default/css/index.css and the Themes/Clarity/css/index.css  as follows
#main_admsection #basicinfo .botslice
{
clear: both;
overflow: hidden;
}

Didn't work   :(

Should I fetch margarett (has worked on my forums before) or is someone else interested in fixing the font size, my "wrecklessly created" theme, and the big space?

Most Sincerely,
Siirist
Needed information:

br360

Make sure to do a hard refresh (ctrl + F5) after you make any changes to your css.  ;)

Siirist

Yeah, I had logged out and in a couple of times and then I noticed the font size was bigger in the posts that I had to modify.   :)

As the initial issue of this post has been solved, I am marking it as such. Thank you.

I will contact someone about the other paid help I need with the other issues.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

Advertisement: