2 forums at the same time - 2 different domains?

Started by Campanule, July 14, 2016, 11:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Campanule

I know I am only an expert in asking "stupid" questions but

Is it possible to have 2 SMF forums on the same computer at the same time?

I have a forum and I wanted to move it to another domain (same host). I can't figure out how and my host says it is too complicated for them to do it for me

So I think I will start from the beginning on the new domain and when it is ready I will close the old forum and domain. But in between there will be 2

I hope you understand my English and my question  :)

LiroyvH

Is it possible to have 2 SMF forums on the same computer at the same time?

Yes of course, one server also runs multiple SMF forums generally.
As long as they're in a different folder and have their own mySQL database: no problem at all, you can run a 100 from your PC.
(Granted they're small ;) 100 might be a bit overexaggerated, but you get the idea.)

I have a forum and I wanted to move it to another domain (same host). I can't figure out how and my host says it is too complicated for them to do it for me

... Find another host.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Illori

Kindred

Please note that MOVING a forum is fairly straight forward

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Hosting_-_How_do_I_move_my_SMF_forum_to_a_different_host
this same applies to moving to a different domain within the same host, but may be even simpler...

MERGING two forums is complicated.
So, if you planned to run two separate forums and then merge them, you are in for a world of hurt. :(
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Campanule

Thank you so much

My English and my computer-skills simply aren't good enough  :) It was pure luck and with help from this forum I got my first forum installed. I haven't got any idea how I did it. But I still think it is the best way for me - to start all over again

I know about the host - but they speak Danish and they are okay. I wanted to pay them so they were just being honest with me. There is not many alternatives with my language  :D

Campanule

Oh you came in here, Kindred

I know it should be simple but my English isn't good enough. Worse than google translate  ::)

I am not going to merge because I know I will get in trouble

I thought of asking someone here to do it (paid for of course) - it would really be a help but I don't know if I can communicate with experts here

Sir Osis of Liver

Does your host control panel have an option for english?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Campanule

Yes they have support in English. I have to chat daytime if I want Danish support. Otherwise it is in English

Is it allowed to post them here? Please delete if not

one (dot) com

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm access to your host account (url/username/password) will have a look.  Do you want to have two forums at different domains, or just move an existing forum from one domain to another?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Campanule

Thanks for everything - I am a happy camper  :)

Advertisement: