News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Threads Are Missing-Please help

Started by Debbie3, July 18, 2016, 09:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Debbie3

I have a section on my forums which had many threads with helpful articles. A member asked where one was and it is not there anymore neither are many others. But when I check the show posts of the member who made the article it comes up in their list of posts they made and when I click it the post, it shows its in the helpful article section, but if you click the board its not there.

How can I fix this please and get back the articles that are missing from that board?

Siirist

Hi Debbie,

ver of SMF?
What Mods are installed - just in case one controls permissions.
Have you backed up you database?

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 18, 2016, 09:21:25 AM
I have a section on my forums which had many threads with helpful articles.

Section?  Is this a Category? Or a Board?

A member asked where one was and it is not there anymore neither are many others. But when I check the show posts of the member who made the article it comes up in their list of posts they made and when I click it the post, it shows its in the helpful article section, but if you click the board its not there.

How can I fix this please and get back the articles that are missing from that board?

Are the Articles actually "Topics"?

It sounds like it may be a permissions thing.
On my board, I gave a potential member a link and told them if they register they will see it. However, they replied saying that they couldn't find it.
When I went in to Admin > Forum > Boards and clicked "Modify" on the board that they couldn't "see" and discovered that their posting level was not "allowed" to see the board -
Allowed Groups:
Groups allowed to access this board.
The "Newbie" membergroup was NOT checked.

Those are my thoughts.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Debbie3

thank you, they were all there before

ver of SMF? 2.0.11
What Mods are installed - just in case one controls permissions.
SA Chat
Annoy User
IP-Address Tracer
Generic Avatars
Anti-spam by CleanTalk
Login Security
BK Modding StatCounter
Have you backed up you database?
yes

sorry its a board where the topics are missing. yes the articles are topics, all groups are checked except guests I don't want guests to see anything unless they register.
I cant see the missing topics as admin either in that board

Siirist

thank you, they were all there before

Something I forget to "ask myself" is
When did it happen? i.e. Did I do something to the forum? If so, what?

That said, have you
Admin > Forum > Boards and clicked "Modify" on the board that they couldn't "see" and looked over -
Allowed Groups:
Groups allowed to access this board.
Although I must agree that as an Admin, you have permission to see everything.

You could try running Repair Settings and see if there is a problem with the tables.

There is a page that gives instruction in the Online Manual > FAQs > Repair Settings.php

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php/en

Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Debbie3

I ran repair this morning and no change but not that repair, I used repair under maintainence

Find and repair any errors

If, for example, posts or topics are missing after a server crash, this function may help finding them again

On the forum main page index it says 98 posts and 26 topics for that board but when I click on the board only 5 topics are there, if I click last post link it list 3 more topics, any ideas?

Siirist

That is different than what I suggested.  ::)

You could also try "Recount all forum totals and statistics" which you will find below "Find and repair any errors".   ;)

If you chose not to try these that is fine, instead, you can wait for a more experienced member to reply.   O:)

Best Wishes,
Siirist
Needed information:

Debbie3

I will try the repair tool and recount thank you

Debbie3

recount did not fix the issue I will try the repair tool in a bit.

Kindred

The repair tool will not have any effect on this issue.

What did you do just before this started getting noticed? Any new mods or other changes?

What do you see when you go to that board?  It sounds like you see some threads and not others?
If you go to the user's profile and click on the posts by that user, can you actually VIEW the post, even if it's not listed in the index?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Quote from: Kindred on July 18, 2016, 01:56:37 PM
The repair tool will not have any effect on this issue.

Quote from: Siirist
That is different than what I suggested.  ::)
Quote from: Siirist
You could try running Repair Settings and see if there is a problem with the tables.
There is a page that gives instruction in the Online Manual > FAQs > Repair Settings.php
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php/en

What did you do just before this started getting noticed? Any new mods or other changes?

As I stated here
Quote from: Siirsit
Something I forget to "ask myself" is
When did it happen? i.e. Did I do something to the forum? If so, what?

What do you see when you go to that board?  It sounds like you see some threads and not others?
If you go to the user's profile and click on the posts by that user, can you actually VIEW the post, even if it's not listed in the index?

Exactly.  Go slow if you need to while following the suggestions listed in this reply.

If you get any errors, please list them as well.

Can you post a link to your forum so that we can register and go "see" the problem?
Needed information:

Debbie3

sure www.menieres-support.org the board with issues is Helpful Articles and Threads About Meniere's.

I noticed it today when someone asked where there thread(topic) was. I will look and see the last mod I added and when.
and yes I see threads but only a few not all 26 of them or all 96 posts
only 2 pages one with 5 threads and one with 3 or something like that.

If you go to the user's profile and click on the posts by that user, can you actually VIEW the post, even if it's not listed in the index?  Yes

Debbie3

Kindred

Since viewing your site requires a login, we can't actually see the issue
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Debbie3

you are welcome to register and Siirist  posted "Can you post a link to your forum so that we can register and go "see" the problem?"
so please feel free to register if you like

Debbie3

I can post screenshots if you prefer not to register

Debbie3

this is a capture of part of the index on my main forum page the board in question is Helpful Articles and Threads About Meniere's the topic count says 26 and post count 98, which is accurate

Debbie3

this is a capture of inside the board

Debbie3

Sir Osis of Liver

Registered - please activate and will have a look.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Debbie3

Debbie3

the last mod I added was the Avatar_for_banned_members and the statcounter mod BK-Modding-StatCounter both on July 3 when I went to uninstall Avatar_for_banned_members some field failed and it gave me a warning not to install but I uninstalled it yesterday after I saw that board was not showing all the topics.
this was the file that gave the error ManageSettings.php

Grammy

You should probably attach it, Debbie3, so it can be checked for left-over code or some inadvertent edit.   :)

The parsing for that file is

Find:
// Mod authors, add any settings UNDER this line. Include a comma at the end of the line and don't remove this statement!!

Add after:

array('check', 'enable_banned_membav'),
'',

Do you still have the StatCounter mod installed?  I see it also edits that file, in about the same place.

(StatCounter)

Find:
// Mod authors, add any settings UNDER this line. Include a comma at the end of the line and don't remove this statement!!

Replace:
                array('large_text', 'statcounter_code', '4'),
'',

Debbie3

Thank you. and yes I still have the statscounter mod installed
it also has another file same name but ~ after it,

Grammy

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 08:21:14 AM

Having the ~ after the file means that it's the original before the edits, but becomes the backup, after the edits.   :)

Try uploading this file to your sources, Debbie (attached).  You still had the old code from the Avatar mod and you had the edits for the StatCounter mod duplicated.  The Avatar code has been removed (since you uninstalled it) and I removed one of the duplicate edits for the StatCounter.  You may need to refresh your cache, after.  I'm not sure that this is the only file affected, but it did need to be corrected.

Also, you may need to check your Display.template.php and your Modifications.english.php to see if there are still any edits for the Avatar mod, but there shouldn't be. 

Debbie3

Debbie3

thanks Grammy I uploaded it I'm glad that file is fixed but the issue remains :(
I also cleared the cache

Grammy

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 08:45:53 AM
thanks Grammy I uploaded it I'm glad that file is fixed but the issue remains :(
I also cleared the cache

I'm not sure, but it seems that if you installed both mods on the same day and the problem appeared after, at least one of them could be the culprit.  Could you attach your Display.template.php as well?  (Just looking for left-over Avatar edits.)  Also, your two language files, Help.english.php and Modifications.english.php (although those shouldn't cause an issue.)    :)

Debbie3

something is wrong my forums wont load now

Grammy

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 08:53:29 AM
something is wrong my forums wont load now

Scroll back up to your post where you attached your ManageSettings.php and upload that one again, for now.  I'll check my edited one for template parse errors.  I'm sorry; I should have said to back up that file.   :-\

Debbie3

I did make a back up of the file but the forums loaded now with your file maybe it was something with my host. but what a coincidence.
but the issue is still there with that board

Grammy

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 08:59:37 AM
I dd make a back up the file but the forums loaded now with your file maybe it was something with my host. but what a coincidence.
but the issue is still there with that board

That's a relief!  I just saw that Sir Osis has registered and I know he'll sort it; he's brilliant.  But if you want, I'll take a look at your Display.template.php and see if there are any leftover Avatar edits there, as well?

Debbie3

sure..another issue which may be related I'm not sure  this started happening about a week or so ago
some of my members need to login twice first time it tells them wrong password even though its correct and the second time it works

Debbie3

where would Display.template.php be located?

Siirist

First, I want to say that I am glad that there has been A LOT of help here.

Second, it seems that Grammy has been very helpful,

Quote from: Grammy on July 19, 2016, 08:37:01 AM
Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 08:21:14 AM
Having the ~ after the file means that it's the original before the edits, but becomes the backup, after the edits.   :)

Try uploading this file to your sources, Debbie (attached).  You still had the old code from the Avatar mod and you had the edits for the StatCounter mod duplicated.  The Avatar code has been removed (since you uninstalled it) and I removed one of the duplicate edits for the StatCounter.  You may need to refresh your cache, after.  I'm not sure that this is the only file affected, but it did need to be corrected.

Also, you may need to check your Display.template.php and your Modifications.english.php to see if there are still any edits for the Avatar mod, but there shouldn't be. 

however, as an Admin, if you are going to install and un-install Mods, you will need to learn how to do so manually by parsing to see the files that are modified and exactly what lines of code are modified or changed.

Just my thoughts,
Siirist

EDIT: Grammy, thanks for going far above and beyond "the call of duty", as more senior members would encourage the OP (original poster) to begin learning about installing and un-installing Mods manually.

ALWAYS backup a file or files BEFORE making changes.
What I do is in FileZilla I download the file, place forum in Maintenance Mode, rename the existing file on the forum to {file-name.php} to {file-name.php~}, then after I modify the original file {file-name.php} I upload it.
If the file already has a backup {file-name.php~}, instead I download the file, place forum in Maintenance Mode, rename the existing file on the forum to {file-name.php~} to {file-name.php~~}, then after I modify the original file {file-name.php} I upload it.
If something goes wrong, I can simply rename {file-name.php~} OR {file-name.php~~} to {file-name.php}.

Quote from: GrammyI just saw that Sir Osis has registered and I know he'll sort it; he's brilliant.  But if you want, I'll take a look at your Display.template.php and see if there are any leftover Avatar edits there, as well?

Best to have only one changing files, i.e. Sir or Grammy, but not both

Best Wishes,
Siirist
Needed information:

Debbie3

thank you. Sir has not logged in yet so its up to Grammy what she prefers to do or not. I'm grateful for everyone's help

Grammy

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 09:06:42 AM

In Themes/default.  I know you're using Vertex, but I don't think it has any files that mod would have edited.

And I'm just now seeing Siirist's post, and concede, but I'm still happy to at least look at the file and let you know if the old edits are still present.  But yes, we can wait on Sir Osis; probably best.   ;)

EDIT TO ADD:  I do see elsewhere (and it's not your exact issue) where another user had post content missing and, coincidentally, he/she also had the StatCounter mod installed.  It's just another avenue to consider, if the actual cause doesn't become apparent.

Debbie3

Quote from: Grammy on July 19, 2016, 09:11:15 AM
Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 09:06:42 AM

In Themes/default.  I know you're using Vertex, but I don't think it has any files that mod would have edited.

And I'm just now seeing Siirist's post, and concede, but I'm still happy to at least look at the file and let you know if the old edits are still present.  But yes, we can wait on Sir Osis; probably best.   ;)
Thanks Grammy

Grammy

No, that file is clean.  You may want to wait, then, on Sir Osis to log in and troubleshoot this. 

But I did add an edit to my previous post that you may have missed:

QuoteEDIT TO ADD:  I do see elsewhere (and it's not your exact issue) where another user had post content missing and, coincidentally, he/she also had the StatCounter mod installed.  It's just another avenue to consider, if the actual cause doesn't become apparent.

That's something to consider.  If you decide to uninstall that mod (and you may wish to wait) then I would stop if you get an error and seek further help with that.   :)

Debbie3

ahh yes I did not see that but good to know! thank you I will see what Sir thinks before I do anything else

Grammy

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 09:27:26 AM
ahh yes I did not see that but good to know! thank you I will see what Sir thinks before I do anything else

Good luck with it, Debbie, I'm hoping to see it sorted soon!   :)

Kindred

the issue is almost definitely not in a template file, but a Sources file...
although MessageIndex.template.php is also another one to check (not display... there's no problem with the display, the problem is with the index page)

Probably Sources/MessageIndex.php  -- see, the issue is not with the actual display of the message nor the display of the index... the issue seems to be that the messages are not even getting loaded into the index array.

Debbie...  for the future, when a mod indicates a failure on install or uninstall, you can not just continue the process unless you manually correct the failures -- continuing with errors is a certain way to nerf your site. :(

Слaва
Украинi

Debbie3

yes there are a lot of errors listed in the error log with MessageIndex.php and with Login.template.php when I just checked
thanks for the advice on the installing and uninstalling will do in the future, the site had the issue before I uninstalled and got the error and there was no error on installs of any mods I have installed.
But I knew it should not continue to uninstall and not sure why I did

Siirist

Quote from: Siirist on July 19, 2016, 09:07:09 AM

. . . as an Admin, if you are going to install and un-install Mods, you will need to learn how to do so manually by parsing to see the files that are modified and exactly what lines of code are modified or changed . . .

. . . ALWAYS backup a file or files BEFORE making changes.

Best Wishes,
Siirist

Needed information:

Debbie3

and those two file errors for MessageIndex.php seem to start on July 2 and for Login.template.php  on July 4th from what I can tell

Debbie3

I always back up the db but when I install a mod and get no error I install it and not sure what files to back up since there are no errors

Debbie3

Do I need to give Sir Osis admin access for him to trouble shoot?

Siirist

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 10:03:43 AM
Do I need to give Sir Osis admin access for him to trouble shoot?

If he is a member of your forum, then I'd say send him a PM (personal message), or email him.

Siirist
Needed information:

Debbie3

Debbie3

I knew I had a backup of the entire forum just could not find it until now I have every file and folder backed up on July 8 and the DB backed up many times.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just got on, will head over there now.  Yes, make me admin so I can access your package manager and error log.

Not a good idea to upload individual backup files, it can break other mods and cause more problems.  Please don't make any more changes til I get a chance to look around.

- R. Waters

Debbie3

admin set for you and nope haven't touched a thing since uploading Grammys file

Debbie3

thanks so much Sir Osis for all your help It is very much appreciated.

Grammy

Oh, if it's sorted, I'd love to know what the issue was?  (It helps when someone does a search for a similar problem.  I'm usually that "Someone", ha!)   :D

Debbie3

Grammy I am not sure I think Sir Osis is best to answer I do know he had to install many new files and he was kind to do that for me. I'm not sure he found exactly what was causing it.

Sir Osis of Liver

It was similar to this issue, and I believe it was caused by the same buggy mod, 'Avatars on Board/MessageIndex'.  DarkTexas solved the problem by uninstalling the mod, but in this case, the uninstall apparently caused the problem.  The mod had been uninstalled and deleted from package manager, but it left behind some code in MessageIndex.php which triggered an error only on certain boards, and prevented all topics from being displayed.  On boards where error did not occur, topics displayed normally.  Uploaded clean set of files, restored their custom stuff, and all topics are back on all boards.

FYI, Pipke recently updated the mod to full hooks install, so it no longer edits files.  Hopefully this will solve the problem.

- R. Waters

Grammy

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 21, 2016, 04:51:51 PM
It was similar to this issue, and I believe it was caused by the same buggy mod, 'Avatars on Board/MessageIndex'.  DarkTexas solved the problem by uninstalling the mod, but in this case, the uninstall apparently caused the problem.  The mod had been uninstalled and deleted from package manager, but it left behind some code in MessageIndex.php which triggered an error only on certain boards, and prevented all topics from being displayed.  On boards where error did not occur, topics displayed normally.  Uploaded clean set of files, restored their custom stuff, and all topics are back on all boards.

FYI, Pipke recently updated the mod to full hooks install, so it no longer edits files.  Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Ah!  I had removed that mod's left over code:

array('check', 'enable_banned_membav'),
'',

from Debbie's ManageSettings.php but I didn't realize it also edited the MessageIndex.php.  Wow...

I can't remember why, but after I installed that mod on one of my test boards, I yanked it pretty quickly.  No one can yank a mod faster than me!  :D

So glad Debbie's up and running!

Debbie3

thanks everyone you have been wonderful!

Advertisement: