Threads Are Missing-Please help

Started by Debbie3, July 18, 2016, 09:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 09:27:26 AM
ahh yes I did not see that but good to know! thank you I will see what Sir thinks before I do anything else

Good luck with it, Debbie, I'm hoping to see it sorted soon!   :)

Kindred

the issue is almost definitely not in a template file, but a Sources file...
although MessageIndex.template.php is also another one to check (not display... there's no problem with the display, the problem is with the index page)

Probably Sources/MessageIndex.php  -- see, the issue is not with the actual display of the message nor the display of the index... the issue seems to be that the messages are not even getting loaded into the index array.

Debbie...  for the future, when a mod indicates a failure on install or uninstall, you can not just continue the process unless you manually correct the failures -- continuing with errors is a certain way to nerf your site. :(

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Debbie3

yes there are a lot of errors listed in the error log with MessageIndex.php and with Login.template.php when I just checked
thanks for the advice on the installing and uninstalling will do in the future, the site had the issue before I uninstalled and got the error and there was no error on installs of any mods I have installed.
But I knew it should not continue to uninstall and not sure why I did

Siirist

Quote from: Siirist on July 19, 2016, 09:07:09 AM

. . . as an Admin, if you are going to install and un-install Mods, you will need to learn how to do so manually by parsing to see the files that are modified and exactly what lines of code are modified or changed . . .

. . . ALWAYS backup a file or files BEFORE making changes.

Best Wishes,
Siirist

Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Debbie3

and those two file errors for MessageIndex.php seem to start on July 2 and for Login.template.php  on July 4th from what I can tell

Debbie3

I always back up the db but when I install a mod and get no error I install it and not sure what files to back up since there are no errors

Debbie3

Do I need to give Sir Osis admin access for him to trouble shoot?

Siirist

Quote from: Debbie3 on July 19, 2016, 10:03:43 AM
Do I need to give Sir Osis admin access for him to trouble shoot?

If he is a member of your forum, then I'd say send him a PM (personal message), or email him.

Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Debbie3

Debbie3

I knew I had a backup of the entire forum just could not find it until now I have every file and folder backed up on July 8 and the DB backed up many times.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just got on, will head over there now.  Yes, make me admin so I can access your package manager and error log.

Not a good idea to upload individual backup files, it can break other mods and cause more problems.  Please don't make any more changes til I get a chance to look around.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Debbie3

admin set for you and nope haven't touched a thing since uploading Grammys file

Debbie3

thanks so much Sir Osis for all your help It is very much appreciated.

Grammy

Oh, if it's sorted, I'd love to know what the issue was?  (It helps when someone does a search for a similar problem.  I'm usually that "Someone", ha!)   :D

Debbie3

Grammy I am not sure I think Sir Osis is best to answer I do know he had to install many new files and he was kind to do that for me. I'm not sure he found exactly what was causing it.

Sir Osis of Liver

It was similar to this issue, and I believe it was caused by the same buggy mod, 'Avatars on Board/MessageIndex'.  DarkTexas solved the problem by uninstalling the mod, but in this case, the uninstall apparently caused the problem.  The mod had been uninstalled and deleted from package manager, but it left behind some code in MessageIndex.php which triggered an error only on certain boards, and prevented all topics from being displayed.  On boards where error did not occur, topics displayed normally.  Uploaded clean set of files, restored their custom stuff, and all topics are back on all boards.

FYI, Pipke recently updated the mod to full hooks install, so it no longer edits files.  Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Grammy

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 21, 2016, 04:51:51 PM
It was similar to this issue, and I believe it was caused by the same buggy mod, 'Avatars on Board/MessageIndex'.  DarkTexas solved the problem by uninstalling the mod, but in this case, the uninstall apparently caused the problem.  The mod had been uninstalled and deleted from package manager, but it left behind some code in MessageIndex.php which triggered an error only on certain boards, and prevented all topics from being displayed.  On boards where error did not occur, topics displayed normally.  Uploaded clean set of files, restored their custom stuff, and all topics are back on all boards.

FYI, Pipke recently updated the mod to full hooks install, so it no longer edits files.  Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Ah!  I had removed that mod's left over code:

array('check', 'enable_banned_membav'),
'',

from Debbie's ManageSettings.php but I didn't realize it also edited the MessageIndex.php.  Wow...

I can't remember why, but after I installed that mod on one of my test boards, I yanked it pretty quickly.  No one can yank a mod faster than me!  :D

So glad Debbie's up and running!

Debbie3

thanks everyone you have been wonderful!

Advertisement: