News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

phpbb 3.0.12 to SMF. Not working.

Started by sturmkatze, July 30, 2016, 02:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturmkatze

I've tried running the converter about a zillion times and it's just spooling with this...

Converting...
Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics...

I even let it go overnight. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

sturmkatze

I should add that it's not that big of a forum that I'm converting from, as you can see by the stats:

Number of posts:    446    Posts per day:    0.36
Number of topics:    145    Topics per day:    0.12
Number of users:    266    Users per day:    0.22
Number of attachments:    31

Antes

If its failing at recalculation of stats that's good news. You can go ahead and login to your admin panel and run recalculation there (no difference). Your data is already converted.

sturmkatze

Quote from: Antes on July 30, 2016, 02:33:01 PM
If its failing at recalculation of stats that's good news. You can go ahead and login to your admin panel and run recalculation there (no difference). Your data is already converted.
I'm lost (and I've been using smf/tp for a long while)  :( The one time I did this years ago, it was all there, but  see no data imported. Please bear with me, but how exactly can I make this work?

sturmkatze

AFAIK, the data didn't convert. At least I don't see anything. And, it still just sits there saying

Converting...
Successful.

Antes

Quote from: sturmkatze on July 31, 2016, 11:29:17 AM
AFAIK, the data didn't convert. At least I don't see anything. And, it still just sits there saying

Converting...
Successful.

Its successful so its converted.

Go Admin > Maintenance > Routine run "Find and repair any errors" & "Recount all forum totals and statistics".

sturmkatze

Quote from: Antes on July 31, 2016, 11:52:19 AM
Quote from: sturmkatze on July 31, 2016, 11:29:17 AM

Converting...
Successful.

Its successful so its converted.

Go Admin > Maintenance > Routine run "Find and repair any errors" & "Recount all forum totals and statistics".

Alas, I have done that and nada. No members transferred, no posts transferred. :-o And it's not that big, either. 400 or so posts... What did I do wrong?

Antes

You can check your database (via phpmyadmin) and look inside of your messages / boards / members tables. You can access phpmyadmin via cPanel (assuming you are on shared hosting and using cPanel).

sturmkatze

Quote from: Antes on July 31, 2016, 12:11:05 PM
You can check your database (via phpmyadmin) and look inside of your messages / boards / members tables. You can access phpmyadmin via cPanel (assuming you are on shared hosting and using cPanel).
Nyet. I looked in phpmyadmin and nada. Frustrating. I did this w/ another phpbb board in like 2005... it went very smoothly. This time... uh, no. Just hangs. And like I said, I see no data from other forum.

sturmkatze

Should I just try and do it again? I could clear out the error logs and try again?? If I don't see it in phpmyadmin, then why is it saying it's successful?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

margarett

As Antes said, if it shows the "recalculate" stuff, it already passed through the posts, members, etc. If there is nothing in SMF's tables, for some reason no data was fetched in the respective step.

Try this converter
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=543296.0;attach=246529
(although it shouldn't really make a difference, but stil...)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

sturmkatze

Quote from: margarett on August 01, 2016, 06:25:54 PM
As Antes said, if it shows the "recalculate" stuff, it already passed through the posts, members, etc. If there is nothing in SMF's tables, for some reason no data was fetched in the respective step.

Try this converter
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=543296.0;attach=246529
(although it shouldn't really make a difference, but stil...)

What do I do with the zip? I see there are two files in there. What do I do with it? Unzip? I am not a coder. I struggle with it to do the sites. Usually, SMF is not that much problem.

I did contact the host (iPower) as    Ninja ZX-10RR's link suggested. Their answer: the db's needed updating and they can't do that for a few months?! >:-(

I should add, this is what it said where Ninja sent me... iPower went to his "level 3 tech" and came back that the db's had to be updated?! Really?

sturmkatze

I tried it again and it was instantaneous that it went to the:

Converting...
Successful.

Message?! Can I just somehow run it w/ the two databases in a folder locally on my system? I'm guessing not, correct? We tried to get my wamp server going again and it has something cryptic wrong w/ it. Worked before, but that was before Win 10...  >:(

margarett

You can assemble SMF locally. Not sure about phpBB though :(

That's one of those "I need to see cases". Converters fail for all kinds of reasons :P but it's not really common to just skip content. I converter a "large" board (over 500k posts) using that converter so it has to be something else...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

sturmkatze

I unzipped that file and ftp-ed both files up. Slightly different. This time it says:

Converting...
Successful.

And that's all. I have to go to the store. Maybe it will do something by time I get back.

margarett

Please printscreen the complete page. It seems it's just skipping everything?

sturmkatze

Ninja ZX-10RR

Love being ignored.
Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on August 01, 2016, 05:24:14 PM
This could help: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=146192.0
Specifically,
QuoteProblem: Conversion says it finished successfully, but nothing got converted.
Info: The cause of this problem is that your host has session.save_path to a non writeable directory.
Fix: Ask your host to change this setting in php.ini and use the correct path or if you are with Powweb they allow you to change settings in php.ini file. There change the path to the session dir that resides in your site's root dir.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

sturmkatze

Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on August 01, 2016, 10:54:23 PM
Love being ignored.
Where did I ignore you? I spent a rather un-fun 40 mins on the phone with some "level 3 tech" guy at iPower, only to be told that the databases need to be updated to do that and they can't for a few months.

I even mentioned what you said above. So now, I am SOL. I was trying to come up w/ an alternative to that, because otherwise, I'm screwed.

Advertisement: