Upgrade does not bring across all of the files from an earlier version

Started by eddie curley, August 18, 2016, 12:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie curley

I have tried several times to upgrade to a newer version only to find that many files are not coming over to the new version. Why would some files come across but not others?

Illori

what files are you talking about? what process are you going through?

eddie curley

Thanks for the fast reply. They are all audio files. The process is simply to install the newer version. When I look for audio file transfer completeness, I discover a large number of file don't appear in the new version. All of the audio files are in the same file location. Why are there missing files?

Kindred

what exactly do you mean by "transfer completeness"?

When you upgrade SMF, there is no "transfer" of anything.
Nothing is moved.

Do you mean that some attachments are marked as missing in the message itself?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Are they attachments to posts or something else? Where did you put them?

What version of the SMF forum software are you upgrading from and to?

eddie curley

When I refer to transfer completeness, I mean that the files that appear in Version 19, dont appear in version 20. I realize that there is no transfer and that the files are not moved. Again, why does the the majority of files show in V20 but not all of which appear in V 19?

Illori

Quote from: eddie curley on August 18, 2016, 12:47:27 PM
Thanks for the fast reply. They are all audio files. The process is simply to install the newer version.

are you doing an install or an upgrade?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Arantor

Quote from: eddie curley on August 18, 2016, 12:59:45 PM
When I refer to transfer completeness, I mean that the files that appear in Version 19, dont appear in version 20. I realize that there is no transfer and that the files are not moved. Again, why does the the majority of files show in V20 but not all of which appear in V 19?

Are you using SMF?

Kindred

unless you are talking about 1.1.19 and 1.1.20?

If so, then you should actually be considering upgrading to 2.0.11 real soon, because 1.1.x is at end of life and is not going to be supported for much longer.

However, you are still not being completely clear what you mean by "files that appear"...  files that appear WHERE?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: