News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Why no stats on SMF's own forum? (or am I just blind?)

Started by Love Calm Quiet, October 29, 2005, 12:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love Calm Quiet

So, having just installed my own SMF forum and noticing that it displays (by default) stats... such as # people currently signed in...

I'm wondering:  why does SMF not display such stats on ITS OWN forum?  Especially since it's a help forum - and I keep wondering why I don't' get any responses to my questions (or even any VIEWs of my post).  I start wondering whether anyone else is here?  
Those STATs might help me get some reasonable expectations.

(just something to consider)

kegobeer

Quote from: Love Calm Quiet on October 29, 2005, 12:59:45 AM
So, having just installed my own SMF forum and noticing that it displays (by default) stats... such as # people currently signed in...

I'm wondering:  why does SMF not display such stats on ITS OWN forum?

Uhh, it does.  Haven't you looked at the bottom of the index page?

Quote from: Love Calm Quietand I keep wondering why I don't' get any responses to my questions (or even any VIEWs of my post).  I start wondering whether anyone else is here?

Well, considering you posted yesterday, I don't see why you are upset about not getting any responses.  You should expect at least a day or two before anyone gets around to replying.  Quite frankly, comments like "I start wondering whether anyone else is here?" are rude and unnecessary, especially considering the huge volume of support requests that come in that get attention by the completely volunteer staff here.  You are new here, have no standing among the support staff, and will most likely get completely ignored with comments like that.

One of your questions was about themes.  There's an entire board devoted to theme issues.  Have you read any of those posts?  Another question you posed was about hosting.  Again, there is a board just for hosting questions.  Being "someone who is as clueless at this" is no excuse.  Look around, read topics, and experiment with SMF.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Love Calm Quiet

On the first item:  My bad!  I *thought* I was looking at index page... but obviously wasnt.

On the themes section....  I looked but everyone seems SO far beyond where I am.  I didn't think a FAQ - explaining the basic concepts and functions is too much for a newbie to hope for.

Kindred

Quiet...

The basics of theming are HTML and php...   you have to understand both (more or less) to do your own themes/templates.  Once you understand both, there is very little question on what does what, since the file names and function names are fairly self-explanatory...

and hence, there is very little need for an FAQ, when all it would be, really, is a link to the php manuals and a link to the HTML standards...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jerry

Quote from: Love Calm Quiet on October 29, 2005, 09:09:05 AM
On the first item:  My bad!  I *thought* I was looking at index page... but obviously wasnt.

On the themes section....  I looked but everyone seems SO far beyond where I am.  I didn't think a FAQ - explaining the basic concepts and functions is too much for a newbie to hope for.
Like Kindred said, there are many faqs, manuals, and tutorials for PHP / MySQL. That is all that is basically in SMF themes :)

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

Advertisement: